Who got bored in Thailand and went back?

georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

it's both. the point is that it's not ideal for everybody and has a lot of negatives.

I enjoy your ruminations. I'm at the opposite end of the bell curve where I think I died and went to heaven.

It may be place-specific. I hear a lot of unhappiness in Issan and Pattaya, but almost no complainers in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. Hua Hin seems chill too. Phuket, less so.

• Like 1

I came here permanently just when the internet was really getting into gear---- 97,  So I can imagine how much duller it would have been long term without it.

It,s not an exaggeration to say its has been life changing.  Now you can live in lovely rural areas, & not be missing out on anything.

You still get woken up by the P̄hū̂h̄ıỵ̀b̂ān giving you news that you downloaded the day before......

But without internet---maybe there would be more boring times.

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

I dont think I would last a week in a ' Studio ' so fair play to the guy lasting a year.

Not really sure how one becomes bored in Thailand, unless you cannot make the effort to get off your ( deleted ) and go do things.

Yes, even in USA, my #2 wife commented, besides the sex of course, that best thing knowing me, was we did something, went somewhere on our free time, whether a weekday or weekend.  Plenty of time to sit on the porch , in the yard, but really need to get away from the house, weekly, and even overnight monthly, at least once.  For me anyway, as I don't do stationary for long.  As stated, living rural is a bit more challenging.  Nice having the surf so close.

Last month, no multi day overnights, but just getting away for the day or 1 overnighter:

image.png.6a7fbd89ee88fea82b23f2fe1f54352d.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

Will never get bored of being able to swim in a warm climate every day of the year and will never get bored of 100b foot massages. Both of these highly desired activities/pleasures are not possible/affordable in the homeland so will never go back. 

And the thought of leaving my gorgeous (20 years younger than me) medical professional GF to look for a new, much older, less attractive GF back home is out of the question. 

God Bless Thailand. 

Shacking up with a proctologist is a great idea.

Thanks!

Most went back due to 

* Out of money and savings.

* Serious health issues that hospitals here didn't solve.

* Realize they also might need free health care for a extended time, back home.

Boredom is only a excuse for returning back home.

If I returned back home and not planned to return, why would I be here to answer the headline?

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

The best option is to spend time between Thailand and your home country. I did that for many years but now I am getting too old to jet from one end of the world to the next every year. It will soon be time to choose one as my permanent home. What to do?

With the likelihood of paying tax starting from next year, the idea of snow birding or having a third base in one's plans seems prescient.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

So you must live in the North West of Thailand?

Is it the North East that is hot and dry ?

Surin province, we've had some decent rain this year and expect a decent harvest. At the moment the cold season is in the air, not cold yet but fairly cool, very comfortable.

When I return to England I will have to use a food bank to survive.  And get down the dole office as soon as possible.  They consider anyone out of England for 30 days as an illegal immigrant.  This rule was actually to keep out real immigrants but of course they use it on British passport holders as well.  I am neither an immigrant nor illegal.

I will live off the dole for a year until I have beeen refunded all of my Thai fines then maybe add another year on top of that for calling me an illegal immigrant in the country I was born in.  They are all pigs it doesn't matter what color the uniform is.

I am okay to stay here for now.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

For someone to hit retirement, up their sticks and move to Thailand, after a few months when the novelty wears off, they may start getting bored here too. 

One of the downsides to Thailand.  If you want to pick up even a few hours of work a week- out of boredom or need-, you risk a one way trip for violating WP regulations. 

The way I understand it, you can't even volunteer unless you want to risk someone you've cheezed off ratting you out for volunteering without a WP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

One of the downsides to Thailand.  If you want to pick up even a few hours of work a week- out of boredom or need-, you risk a one way trip for violating WP regulations. 

The way I understand it, you can't even volunteer unless you want to risk someone you've cheezed off ratting you out for volunteering without a WP.

True. There is online work available though which might work for some. I'm lucky in that I haven't needed a WP for the past 6 or 7 years. I officially retired from my employer on 31 December 2022, but they kept me on a 12 month contract working from home 3 days a week. They may even keep me on for another year. It all helps sliding me into retirement as I work out what I want to do to keep myself occupied. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Easy to get bored in Thailand when so few people speak English.  Go to India.  You will never get bored for sure.

Thailand is a place for tourists. If you want to be a tourist for the rest of your life it will be a disaster.

Very busy spending your life on the bog with all the food poisoning 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

One solution of boredom is to do the 6 months here/6 months there routine.

But for me, the main attraction of LoS is the weather.  I come from the Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Vancouver) and hate the  persistent rain of winter, and so the ever-present heat of Thailand is just what the doctor ordered.  Back to British Columbia for the summers, where the heat is just right.

The great advantage of modern technology is that you can entertain yourself no matter where you are by reading any book from any time or culture.  Boredom banished.

PS why is it that many people on AN are shy or embarrassed or secretive about where their "home" outside Thailand is? What psychology is at work there?

Retirement is a huge step. Whether you retire in your home country, Thailand or elsewhere, it's a big physical and mental adjustment, particularly living on a fixed income. For many people it's a challenging time and being in a foreign country might make the adjustment harder.

• Like 2

It was a factor in why I returned to the UK (in 2018) after 20 years in Thailand. Finances were probably the biggest thing, also that at 53 I needed to get a job. I returned to the UK with quite a lot of money, and I believe that made doing so much easier.

In the last 5 or 6 years that I lived in Thailand I pretty much never screwed around at all, although I had done so a lot in previous years. I became very 'cynical' about the bargirl blah blah blah stuff.

(I'll add that I loved Thailand as my home for 20 years, and always will, if I won the lottery I would retire there).

Edited by Andrew65

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

For someone who has been working their whole life, retirement can be difficult regardless of where you live. My dad retired at 60 many years ago and within 1 year he was suffering terribly from boredom (there is only so much gardening and fishing you can do) so he ended up getting a part-time job just to give him something to do. For someone to hit retirement, up their sticks and move to Thailand, after a few months when the novelty wears off, they may start getting bored here too.    

True and can't work here

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

For someone who has been working their whole life, retirement can be difficult regardless of where you live. My dad retired at 60 many years ago and within 1 year he was suffering terribly from boredom (there is only so much gardening and fishing you can do) so he ended up getting a part-time job just to give him something to do. For someone to hit retirement, up their sticks and move to Thailand, after a few months when the novelty wears off, they may start getting bored here too.    

In the last 3 years that I was in Thailand boredom became a big thing for me. And then you can end up in the bars every day, basically drinking yourself to death!😒

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

To the title ...

I get bored no matter where  live, and it's a challenge sometimes staying active in interested in TH, especially with so much time on my hands.  Hence why O&A so much, compared to some.   Living semi rural doesn't help, but only a few hours from interesting Krung Thep or landscape (southward).

Another thought, if bored and left TH, who would be reading to chime in with a comment?  One must really be bored where at now, if following forums about a country they no longer live in, or interest to visit again.

I get bored no matter where  live,     Same   but..............

• Like 1

During my working years, I lived in 14 countries, (Asia, Cent AM, Af, Eu), kept a log of good or bad.  I included food, people, acceptance of foreigners, religion, climate.  I spent a total of 9 years in Thailand between 1972-2005, 6+years in the PI and

when all as said and done, decided to retire in Thailand with the PI a close second.  I spoke the local lingo in those countries that I lived and basically got along well with the locals.  I loved the PI, golfing, scuba diving, beaches, different islands with different

folks, English speaking, cheap BUT, 18-20 typhoons per year, earthquakes up to 9 level, volcanoes active and local food not to my

liking so much.   The weather was a bit like Thailand but no really big typhoons (though more violent than before), earthquakes but

much weaker, local food is great, people accept westerners, especially when one speaks the local lingo, plenty of golf available and

though things are getting more expensive, it is still fairly cheap.  I hope to spend many more years in retirement here!  

• Like 1