Banknotes from 10 years ago still accepted?

I'm about to travel to Thailand for the first time since 2014.

I still have quite a few banknotes and coins from 2010-2014.

Will there be any problem using these notes anywhere? Especially paying the taxi from the airport.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, JayClay said:

Omg I wish they'd re-issue those. Add in a 5bt, 2bt and 1bt note too, please!

Coins suck!

I have ten uncirculated one baht notes, consecutive numbers, have had these for at least twenty years

8 minutes ago, flexomike said:

I have ten uncirculated one baht notes, consecutive numbers, have had these for at least twenty years

1 Baht notes were last printed in 1956-7. Been here 30 years and never seen one. I've got a couple 10 Baht notes saved from still being circulated in the mid-90s. They were replaced by coins in 1988. If you'd ever like to sell a 1 Baht note, let me know. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Does anybody know the reason for changing from notes to coins in the first place?

Coins have a longer lifespan than notes and so are cheaper.  Coins tend to be used for smaller denominations because coins are less secure than notes.

14 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Does anybody know the reason for changing from notes to coins in the first place?

Usually driven by the cost of printing low value notes incorporating security features.

China is a good example of how badly printed low value notes led to common place forgeries making the population more than happy to go cashless.

Those that object to coins should be careful what they wish for.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Usually driven by the cost of printing low value notes incorporating security features.

China is a good example of how badly printed low value notes led to common place forgeries making the population more than happy to go cashless.

Those that object to coins should be careful what they wish for.

I have no objection to a cashless society. That's even better than a coinless one to me.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Last longer? Inflation?

1 hour ago, Homburg said:

Coins have a longer lifespan than notes and so are cheaper.  Coins tend to be used for smaller denominations because coins are less secure than notes.

Longer lasting is a reasonable argument. Is this still the case with the newer plastic notes, though?

I'm not sure what the impact of inflation is?

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

1 Baht notes were last printed in 1956-7. Been here 30 years and never seen one. I've got a couple 10 Baht notes saved from still being circulated in the mid-90s. They were replaced by coins in 1988. If you'd ever like to sell a 1 Baht note, let me know. 

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Coins came centuries before paper notes.

Who to believe...?

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've got a few 10 baht banknotes form 1985 that were given to me. 

Maybe hang on to them a bit longer?

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Longer lasting is a reasonable argument. Is this still the case with the newer plastic notes, though?

I'm not sure what the impact of inflation is?

Yes the plastic notes are waterproof tear proof, but don't deep fry them, inflation what used to cost 10b now costs 100b  or you could use the term devalued I suppose or you'd be paying 1 thousand for a 100b item.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JayClay said:

And that's relevant to why Thailand replaced small-denomination notes with coins how, exactly?

I was merely answering your question as to why they changed from notes to coins in general. Sorry if you misunderstood my answer. 

Just now, brianthainess said:

Yes the plastic notes are waterproof tear proof, but don't deep fry them, inflation what used to cost 10b now costs 100b  or you could use the term devalued I suppose or you'd be paying 1 thousand for a 100b item.

So does the cost argument still hold true with coins vs plastic notes.

I understand what inflation is, I just didn't really see what impact it has on choosing to move from notes to coins. But yea, if there's a certain threshold where coins make more sense than notes, I guess that threshold changes with inflation.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

I was merely answering your question as to why they changed from notes to coins in general. Sorry if you misunderstood my answer. 

That was not my question. I'm sorry that you misunderstood what I was asking....

Many thanks to all of those who did read, understand and answer.

Edited by JayClay

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

I understand what inflation is, I just didn't really see what impact it has on choosing to move from notes to coins. But yea, if there's a certain threshold where coins make more sense than notes, I guess that threshold changes with inflation.

ok, understood.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Yes like the UK 10 shilling note and the Pound note, if Thailand stayed as a cash society for example in years to come we would probably have a 100b coin what I'd like to see now is a 5k note and get rid of those silly little satang, shirt buttons are more expensive.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes like the UK 10 shilling note and the Pound note, if Thailand stayed as a cash society for example in years to come we would probably have a 100b coin what I'd like to see now is a 5k note and get rid of those silly little satang, shirt buttons are more expensive.  

I agree that a 5000bt note would be useful, or a 2k at least.

I've made my feelings about coins known already in this thread 😁

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

what I'd like to see now is a 5k note and get rid of those silly little satang,

Fully agree with both statements, the satang coins are a pain in the A$$, many including Thais just throw them away as getting a 7-11, or Big C or Lotus's to accept them is often hard as they don't really want them either. They must cost about 10 times the face value to make.

• Thumbs Up 1