British Man Arrested For Allegedly Exchanging Counterfeit Money in Phuket

webfact

19 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Case closed, you've got it cracked  Columbo.

I lived in an apartment building in BKK which had loads of Srilankans. They were all dirty and cops knew it. They paid cops and immigration every month.

They mostly travelled on Canadian and UK passorts and would recruitc mostly Brit farangs to do ATM fraud as well.

What has 1970s Columbo tv show got to do with it  FFS.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thonburi-tales said:

I lived in an apartment building in BKK which had loads of Srilankans. They were all dirty and cops knew it. They paid cops and immigration every month.

They mostly travelled on Canadian and UK passorts and would recruitc mostly Brit farangs to do ATM fraud as well.

What has 1970s Columbo tv show got to do with it  FFS.

What have Sri Lankans got to do with it.

**Flame edited out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

As I've never changed Euros what's the procedure at exchange booths to check for forgeries? I personally wouldn't have a clue if someone gave me Euros if they were fake or not.

Many years ago I exchanged Dutch guilders at an exchange booth in Bangkok. Staff didn't know them, even though they were on the display, so they looked the currency up in a booklet. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

As I've never changed Euros what's the procedure at exchange booths to check for forgeries? I personally wouldn't have a clue if someone gave me Euros if they were fake or not.

Normally they're diligent in checking under the UV machine.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

What have Sri Lankans got to do with it FFS 

Some people on this forum are really sensitive about the facts.

Srilankans Iranians and Africans have been based here in BKK for decades and they do every fraud scam under the sun. They recruit foreigners in the UK to fly out here or get some 'down and outs' in the beer bars. I Dont know much about the bar scene  because i never visit those sleazy barstool brothel towns.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

Does appear to have a lot of cash with him for a tourist 🤔 

On holiday 💸 💰 

A other quality Tourist getting Thailand a bad name 

Phuket seems to be getting a lot of bad press  these days   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

There was a picture in another group, he exchanged USDT for EURO.

Ah, good 'ol USDT. The launderer's friend. Not of course that I'm suggesting this guy had that amount of USDT for anything other than legitimate reasons.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

My guess is that the courts will come down pretty hard on him. 

He runs the risk of each note changed being treated as a single offence ie change 5 x 200 EUR notes = 5 individual counts of currency fraud. Then factor in any other previous transactions that come to light, which would be additional offences. Thai 'justice' system doesn't allow for pleading to aggregate multiple offences into one count. And if he changed any in a difference province, that is a separate judicial process that starts after case in Phuket is concluded and any time has been served.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And that man is??? Ohhh can't remember never met him before or after... Idiot.

And extended his stay to Jan 31st, yet exchanged money on Feb 6th ?

Look at the full report. it gives all the details of the other guy who sold him the fakes and how he paid full cost for them. FFS! I would not know it they were fake or toilet paper as I have never used them!!

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

He runs the risk of each note changed being treated as a single offence ie change 5 x 200 EUR notes = 5 individual counts of currency fraud. Then factor in any other previous transactions that come to light, which would be additional offences. Thai 'justice' system doesn't allow for pleading to aggregate multiple offences into one count. And if he changed any in a difference province, that is a separate judicial process that starts after case in Phuket is concluded and any time has been served.

You mean a total of 25 years in prison for the five offences, but you will always be able to claim that you are suffering from cardiac arrest so you will be transferred immediately to the police hospital and then you will be able to plead for clemency by proclaiming yourself guilty and receiving a royal pardon, you will be released in 6 months, this is the new rule now in LOS prisons, to be checked

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thonburi-tales said:

Sounds like he was sent to Thailand with all this fake currency in December and it worked so well  he extended his visa and finally his luck ran out. Shouldnt of got greedy.

Alot of Srilankan Tamils live in London and theyre up to their neck in fake passports ,currency and cheques. Thailand is the main clearing house because its big and busy not just lazy cops.Laos and Cambodia are too small and quiet.

Or you could have read the linked report so you'd know what is said to have happened instead of speculating.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many years ago I exchanged Dutch guilders at an exchange booth in Bangkok. Staff didn't know them, even though they were on the display, so they looked the currency up in a booklet. 

I had the same experience trying to change Thai baht in a German bank. No way of telling where the baht came from as there was no indication in English.

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And that man is??? I guess you're asking as you didn't bother to read the linked report. I'll pick the info out for you:

On February 1st, he stayed with a man identified only as Mr. Ozeias, 46, a British national at a condominium in Mai Khao, Thalang. On February 5th, he transferred crypto money to the value of 34,900 Usd (1.24 million Baht) to Mr. Ozeias. He received Euro cash in exchange from Mr. Ozeias which totalled about 674,800 Baht in value.

You're welcome.

Thanks, saved me a read.. my bad

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

"Another naughty Brit makes the headlines"

Yes - the boys are back!

I expect (Sorry, TAT'ism) that the next few posts re Brits will be about them causing trouble in Pattaya by arguing about the size of the bar bills or arguing with taxi drivers about fares?

• Haha 2

Maybe he didn't know it was fake and did get it from another man. If it's true, which I doubt, he was taking a big risk if he didn't know this other man and will probably end up a lot worse off.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not very good I am told 

After they shaved your head while in shakles as you (all inmates) enter, first day. Not too much worry about violence to Farang but the overcrowding is IMHO why they legalised Cannabis so could let 3,000 inmates out, and make some room for real criminals. The jails wre so full they ring a bell while sleeping, and then 350 men turn over in their sleep (sooping the guy in front. If you DON'T turn over upon rung bell you are poked with a bamboo pole. Fun times!!

PS You wake up 5am ever day, two of same meals a day, and sing lots of King songs on the TV only used for that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Seized from him were 17,800 Euros in counterfeit cash (682,585 Baht), £5,400 Pounds in genuine sterling cash (266,992 Baht) and some genuine Thai cash (199,000 Baht).

And of course, if he brought the money into the country and didn't declare the money to Customs when he entered Thailand, he's in violation of Customs Law. So either he goes to jail for counterfeiting or he goes to jail for violating Customs Regs.

Very strange story how he got it, who on earth will change usd worth 1.24 million thb to euro worth 675K thb 

From the link:

"he transferred crypto money to the value of 34,900 Usd (1.24 million Baht) to Mr. Ozeias. He received Euro cash in exchange from Mr. Ozeias which totalled about 674,800 Baht in value." 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wonder how they treat foreigners in Thai prisons?

Not treating them much different than Thais. If he keep to himself and lay low, he will just be fine.

Police investigations revealed that Mr. Tobias exchanged 1,000 euros at a bureau de change in Kamala on February 7 at 3:00 pm and at another bureau de change in Kathu at 4:00 pm. Mr. Ozeias exchanged 3,000 euros (about 111,600 baht) at three different booths in Thalang.

After the incident, Mr. Ozeias Da Silva fled the country at 8:50 p.m. on February 7. Police are gathering evidence to track him down and prosecute him. Mr. Tobias was charged with using counterfeit money under Section 240 and forgery under Section 241 of the Thai Penal Code, which carries a penalty of 1-15 years in prison and a fine of 20,000-300,000 baht.

They had to know they were fake, why else would they be exchanging so much is a short period of time?

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Yep. He is in for a world of hurt. That is one very risky area of crime. It likely takes a far higher level of sophistication to get away with it. Using proxies might be a good place to start.