Five immigration officers jailed for 15 years each for extortion

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I am surprised / appalled by the quantity, only 5, is it possible they missed a couple zeros .... 555

agree .. they are plentiful ..

Edited by steven100
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Five immigration police officers were sentenced to 15 years in prison each today, after they were found guilty by the Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases of extorting 10 million baht from a Chinese businessman in exchange for dropping a charge against him.

Tip of a very large ice-berg.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Tip of a very large ice-berg.

Yep, they're skimming everywhere. Down south, I've seen the lines of farm workers doing their 90 day reporting. However, each of them are also charged a service fee of 100 Baht. Last time I was in, I saw them take about 5,000 Baht for this service in about 30 minutes. I wonder how many workers are charged this fee monthly? 

• Like 1

The OP article talks about the Chinese guy being arrested in the Din Daeng area of central Bangkok...

So presumably, the 5 convicted and now imprisoned Immigration officers were operating within the Chaengwattana IO jurisdiction.

PS - as is too common with Thai news reports here... zero mention of whether these 5 will remain in custody, or have been or will be released on bail pending potential appeals.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - as is too common with Thai news reports here... zero mention of whether these 5 will remain in custody, or have been or will be released on bail pending potential appeals.

remain in custody   :cheesy: !!   come on Johnny boy '    you should know this is just Theatrics !      otherwise they could nab 100's of IO's and thousands of police    ....      and why is Big Joke not mentioned to clean it up  ''

because it's just for show         !!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

I wonder how many of them are on this forum: the ones that use visa services that somehow "gets around" the large bank account provision of retirement extension... part of those fees must go towards "greasing the wheels" at immigration to get farangs visas that don't qualify if they follow the law

Probably a lot. I played golf recently with 3 guys who all use agents to bypass the requirement to keep funds in the bank. They talked about it as if it was legal to do!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Probably a lot. I played golf recently with 3 guys who all use agents to bypass the requirement to keep funds in the bank. They talked about it as if it was legal to do!

Guilt by association! Someone should grass you then.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

don't even go down that road.  

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I suspect there are a ton of those dodgy farangs on this forum who use bribes through agents & immigration officers to stay here while not qualifying/following the retirement extension laws. A crackdown on these dodgy farangs, agents and IOs are coming soon.

There's also quite a few who do everything strictly according to the law.

Get PR (if you qualify) then 99% - 100% of issues needing some 'tweeking' no longer exist.