How you use AC at night?

scubascuba3

53 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of the reasons I'm experimenting again is i was staying in many different hotels recently and had better sleep, probably because AC freezing all night + big duvets. Thermostats often seemed not to work well

I only stay in hotels where the rooms have individual a/c units. I always switch them off.

The ambient temperature of the hotel is enough.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Although i have done that in the past it's not ideal, i.e. still hot and humid, fan just blows around hot air and yes i get good airflow through the condo usually. The other problem is if open windows/doors/curtains there can be noise and light issues

Opening windows is not an option for me as I mostly sleep in the daytime. A cool room with doors closed and blackout curtains are what I need. I keep my bedroom doors closed most of the time to maintain a mosquito-free zone. There's nothing worse than mosquitos buzzing around your ears when you're trying to sleep.

I don't use air-con anywhere else in the house, other than an hour or two in my gym room. In my office, I only use a fan.

Edited by JensenZ

51 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You must have a posh a/c. Mine only goes in full degrees. 555

Yes, it's a new Daikin unit. Previously it used to be one degree at a time. It might not be necessary, but I do find it helps get the temperature just right.

Sleeping only with the fan is ok as long as the outside night temperature stays below 28. So it depends on which time of the year.

Has anyone ever had dry eye problems while sleeping with the ceiling fan?

One of the things I love when being back in Europe for the European summer is living a life free of aircon.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

1) I'm trying all different things, usually i just give the bedroom a burst around the time i sleep for an hour, then 3 thirty min bursts during the night 27⁰ when i wake up. No duvet needed. Plus fan

2) AC on all night 27⁰, light duvet needed but still wake up 3 times.

3) Last night tried 1) but on Dry mode with average success, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual.

1 is probably best but not perfect.

What works best for you?

No aircon, just fan, you'll get used to it.

3 hours ago, uttradit said:

25 degrees and forget about it. 27 is hot.

You must be a bus driver.  28 when go to bed and normally change to 29 after midnight.  Sleep in PJ without cover.  Have air directed away or over bed.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

You must have a posh a/c. Mine only goes in full degrees. 555

New Daikin have .5 degree settings and appear to be very accurate at keeping same temp.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Maybe the aircon unit, Mitsubishi Mr Slim 14,000 Btu for a 42/44 m² apartment is too small??

I suspect more than a bit too small - and have also had a bit of rain when units running at full tilt so suspect larger unit will help.

• Thanks 1

Maybe the aircon unit, Mitsubishi Mr Slim 14,000 Btu for a 42/44 m² apartment is too small??

I agree with Lopburi - seems very small. I have a 14/15000 Btu Mitsu bought last year for a bedroom half that size - but the room does get very hot.

The previous Panasonic was over 10 years old and leaked like yours normally after about 4/5 months when I would get it cleaned again. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, topt said:

I agree with Lopburi - seems very small. I have a 14/15000 Btu Mitsu bought last year for a bedroom half that size - but the room does get very hot.

The previous Panasonic was over 10 years old and leaked like yours normally after about 4/5 months when I would get it cleaned again. 

Good point topt and as I have got the aircon man coming round tomorrow (I hope !!!) I will ask him what he can do for me with regards to fitting a new one. I did notice some 18000btu aircons on Lazada and PowerBuy with some heavily discounted prices, so a search around is on the cards. I would like to try Sharp as have been impressed with their appliances. 

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Good point topt and as I have got the aircon man coming round tomorrow (I hope !!!) I will ask him what he can do for me with regards to fitting a new one. I did notice some 18000btu aircons on Lazada and PowerBuy with some heavily discounted prices, so a search around is on the cards. I would like to try Sharp as have been impressed with their appliances. 

Even that may struggle........ 

Unfortunately the Daikin calculator that I used before seems to have gone but found this after searching for a bit -

https://pattaya-property.net/what-size-air-conditioning-unit-do-i-need/

Best of luck :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I set the temperature on the aircon at 25° (sometimes 24°) because my bedroom is just offset against the lounge and aircon unit, and it seems to work quite well. In addition I have the ceiling fan rotating at medium/low speed.

BUT, my aircon unit is playing up again, because water floods (a bit of an exaggeration) out from the front of it and covers everything in the kitchen making it a bloody nuisance. I try to get it cleaned once every six months but this still happens, so I'm wondering if this happens to other folks?? Maybe the aircon unit, Mitsubishi Mr Slim 14,000 Btu for a 42/44 m² apartment is too small??

I've got the aircon man coming round tomorrow to give it a good cleaning, and am seriously thinking about buying a new aircon as Sharp has a few deals on at the moment on its 18,000 Btu inverter models. Any ideas anyone?

PS. Sorry to go just a little off tangent, but some help on this regard would be fabulous. Thank you.

PPS. The current unit is 7 yrs old and the drain pipe seems clear? 

Isnt your airco then hanging forwards/ tilted and in time with lots of moist in air then it flows out in front? Or the wall is not straight?

Maybe put some filling rings under mounting screws to tilt it to the back?

Or the drain pipe is too much up, especially in horizontal ways. With a little slope downwards the water will easily flow away. If it is up then water could stay in drain and eventually fill airco "floor" and all comes out forward. Even maybe a combination?

Just some thoughts.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of the reasons I'm experimenting again is i was staying in many different hotels recently and had better sleep, probably because AC freezing all night + big duvets. Thermostats often seemed not to work well

The only option I had in a hotel in Bangkok last week was to turn off the AC. The thermostat wasn't working and even under the thick covers and wearing a T-shirt I was too cold.

If you are having trouble with your unit needing cleaning and leaking water, the drain is configured incorrectly, and or the unit is installed incorrectly.

If they replace the unit without reconfiguring the drain, you will likely have the same issue with the new unit. 

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Opening windows is not an option for me as I mostly sleep in the daytime. A cool room with doors closed and blackout curtains are what I need. I keep my bedroom doors closed most of the time to maintain a mosquito-free zone. There's nothing worse than mosquitos buzzing around your ears when you're trying to sleep.

I don't use air-con anywhere else in the house, other than an hour or two in my gym room. In my office, I only use a fan.

Have you asked your landlord to install sliding screens on the windows & doors to keep mosquito's out?

Many units have the screens missing but have the rails for them there. They get damaged and just taken off and never replaced. Depends on the property, many places won't have the rails.

Edited by JimTripper

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I dunno, but if you need a/c all the time I don't think a tropical country is a good fit for you. Weather is an important factor to where you live.

I had a neighbor who did the a/c thing all the time. He finally gave in and just moved.

Having it all the time is different to during the night only

• Agree 1

In every single condo I've rented there has been hitches with the aircon, like water leaking, aircon propeller stopping after 5 minutes ...

That's one of the reasons I live in hotels two thirds of the time. In a hotel whenever there's any problem, I'm in another room in no time.

• Haha 1

This is from the Sleep Foundation...The temperature of your bedroom can make a significant difference to your sleep quality. The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Having it all the time is different to during the night only

The air outside is actually cooler at night, so you are needing the a/c in cooler conditions. Unless, your condo is trapping hot air inside in the evening which does happen, esp in older condo's with thick walls.

You need to open those windows and let the cool evening air inside! Use a fan like before said and circulate the cool air. Not pump a/c into a condo that has trapped hot air inside from the daytime.

You will have to run the a/c all night to get that warm air out with no windows open for it to escape 🤣

I think you are falling for the idea that a/c works well in a hot tropical climate. It does not, really, unless you force it on all the time and just don't give a hoot about the cost.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

This is from the Sleep Foundation...The temperature of your bedroom can make a significant difference to your sleep quality. The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

They must be funded by the fossil fuel folks, wanting you to use more.  15.6 to 20C is damn chilly.  I let the dog out for midnight 'P', and it's chilly out there.

Yet they recommend people to stay out of water at those temps (60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit 15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius), as it may cause hypothermia.   If you need blankets on to feel comfy, then the temp is too low.   

And yes, I understand emersion in water is different than ambient air temp, but <20C is chilly.

image.png.16dd43cc97c236ff18aa09ede73e488a.png

Edited by KhunLA