Songkran Water Splashing Causes Viral Fight in Phuket

webfact

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly this....   

A few years back we were at a friends house and positioned ourselves on the side of the street....  A 'dry' uniformed office worker passed on her motorcycle and my friend threw water at her....   I asked him why he did that... his answer "Its Songkran"....    Too many idiots just don't get it...   this was not in a centre of 'water play' (or whatever its called) it was on the outskirts where people who want to get involved are obvious.... usually the 'Songkran shirt' is a dead giveaway that they are 'ready for a soaking' and the motorcyclists will slow to engage.... 

Formal / smart dress on the other hand is also a giveaway that the person does not want to get involved and that is commonly honoured by all but a few idiots. 

There are those who state... "don't want to get wet, don't go out on Songkran" but thats impossible for a lot of people due to work commitments. 

A few years back we went to Soi 11 (Bangkok) with Wife, Son and friends... All was good fun until a 'witching hour' of around 6pm where the water spraying took on a somewhat of a more aggressive engagement.... we left before things would get a little too hardcore for a 7 year old... 

He was shirtless   F'  em     put on a shirt or get sprayed

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, charleskerins said:

He was shirtless   F'  em     put on a shirt or get sprayed

Yeah... I kind of agree with you... 

Shirtless and riding through an area of 'water players' is a recipe for a soaking....       this seems like an angry man looking for an excuse for an altercation.... 

Regardless - there are still too many tools who don't get the 'unwritten rules of Songkran engagement' and consider anyone and everyone fair game, which IMO is quite wrong. 

10 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I totally understand his feelings. You can spray those who want to participate, but leave alone those who don't!

I agree, but it's never going to happen. There's a sadistic element to modern day Songkran. The real fun for many young Thais is to splash those that don't want to be soaked ,  if it's a farang that is even more hilarious. Some put chunks of ice in it ,or go straight for your crotch or face .Told a Thai once that he could splash me, but not my bag as there were documents in it .Of course, he went for the bag.

Can't see how a mature adult can enjoy this for longer than a couple of hours.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I did, in the morning. And I made sure I return home before the splashing starts. 

Right. Do your shopping at Macro around 6am. Stock up on milk and bread. Read a book and watch videos.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, eumenades said:

Right. Do your shopping at Macro around 6am. Stock up on milk and bread. Read a book and watch videos.

I have no idea when Macro opens.

Foodland opens 24/7 and my bakery and favorite cafe at 7am. That leaves me enough time to return before the splashing starts. 

11 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I totally understand his feelings. You can spray those who want to participate, but leave alone those who don't!

According to the OP, he was left alone.

a black shirt foreigner allegedly water-gunned the motorbike taxi rider, but the shirtless foreigner was not hit.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've not left my house since Wednesday!

good idea ...particularly with all that  'high intensity'  in the air.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, eumenades said:

One Songkran, I was hit on my m/c by a bucket of water that nearly knocked me of the bike. I stopped and, erm, fisticuffs was the result (plus a broken wristwatch). Ho hum.

Then you should either avoid that road or drive at an extremely slow pace through the mayhem 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

How to distinguish ? To those on the street anyone is a target. If  not want to be a target stay home, away .

It may be annoying and frustrating as hell but it is a National festival foreigners have opted to come/stay for.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

At least 50% of foreign visitors to Songkran don't get it, there are legitimate targets and there are targets that are off limits. Anyone clearly not participating but needing to be in the area for other reasons, anyone on their way to work, anyone not dressed for a soaking, are NOT fair game.

This seems way off base to me. Ok maybe very old people or actual government officials in uniform are spared but everyone else is game on.

The majority of the people splashing water are kids in the 9-20 age range and you've given them full permission for 3 days to run around in a pickup truck with a barrel of water. Do you seriously think they know any better or even care? Thai's are so repressed the rest of the year you really see the excitement in their eyes when they find a target. For the rest of the people mob mentality and booze is another powerful factor. They do not care.

I long ago gave up trying to go out unless I'm 100% prepared to get wet and even so it's not the water that pisses me off it's the being targeted aspect and drunk people trying to get you to pull over so they can soak you and if they get you stopped they won't take no for answer. It's like hunting almost. The real reason I hate songkran is because I can't go outside for 3 days without a car and have to sit home and listen to retardation inducing music. It's horrible.

Why didn't I get buy the cheapest ticket to some country? I need to make that my songkran resolution for next year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

At least 50% of foreign visitors to Songkran don't get it, there are legitimate targets and there are targets that are off limits. Anyone clearly not participating but needing to be in the area for other reasons, anyone on their way to work, anyone not dressed for a soaking, are NOT fair game.

A few years ago, I was chilling out at the local restaurant while my daughter was celebrating Songkhran outside the restaurant.
A foreigner, who was well known in the village, was participating with the water throwing.
His favorite target was splashing a bucket of water, with some ice cubes, into the Songtaws.
Although the Songtaws had their windows closed, he used to go behind the Songtaw and throw his bucket of water shouting "Happy Pee Mai".
Most of the people in the Songtaw where girls who were going to work at the 7/11 shop or Family Market.

• Sad 1

A few years ago, I was chilling out at the local restaurant while my daughter was celebrating Songkhran outside the restaurant.
A foreigner, who was well known in the village, was participating with the water throwing.
His favorite target was splashing a bucket of water, with some ice cubes, into the Songtaws.
Although the Songtaws had their windows closed, he used to go behind the Songtaw and throw his bucket of water shouting "Happy Pee Mai".
Most of the people in the Songtaw where girls who were going to work at the 7/11 shop or Family Market.

17 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

2 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

How to distinguish ? To those on the street anyone is a target. If  not want to be a target stay home, away .

It may be annoying and frustrating as hell but it is a National festival foreigners have opted to come/stay for.

Sometimes you can't just put your life on hold because idiots have no self control and think everyone is a target and ok to drench. Some people actual have to go out to work and it becomes almost impossible to avoid. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Dan O said:

Sometimes you can't just put your life on hold because idiots have no self control and think everyone is a target and ok to drench. Some people actual have to go out to work and it becomes almost impossible to avoid. 

Granted there is that side of real life.

9 hours ago, Confuscious said:

And nobody told him how much of an idiot he was? 

I would have

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no idea when Macro opens.

Foodland opens 24/7 and my bakery and favorite cafe at 7am. That leaves me enough time to return before the splashing starts. 

6am.