ASEANNOW is Joining The Thaiger

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Usually the buyer dismisses all the staff of the bought and uses their existing staff for both.

Can I be the first to urge Thaiger to keep CharlieH, maybe even make him the boss!

Frankly, I must wholeheartedly concur with your choice. 

Obvious choice. 

Absolutely. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Very unfortunate news. I am not a fan of The Thaiger with its fake author profiles and AI generated and completely ridicolously bombasticly written content that usually is of quite low journalistic quality. Recently we've seen AseanNow also start to post AI generated content. I don't have a problem with AI per-se as I use it myself, it's the dishonesty in its usage that rubs me the wrong way.

Surprises me AI can generate such poorly worded content !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, in addition use clear names? With address and phone number? And a recent taken photo?

Splendid idea, isn't it?

Not haters anymore, no gutter language, no proof of stupidity.

Feels like heaven will come😂🤣🥳🤗

Bring back "bad language". Is this forum composed of five-year olds?  No censorship....EVER.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

I have not posted at AN for at least a year. Nor did I bother visiting the forum during that period. I did not agree with the moderation, disliked some of the moderators, and  found too many member comments to be banal, and ignorant. In hindsight, I can understand why some things were they they were.  I mention this so that my bias is stated upfront.

I was one of the people who  took some pleasure in the problems that befell AN. It wasn't out of pettiness or vindictiveness, but in part driven by the memories of the original Thai Visa and the value it had at one time. Times change. Way back when TVF started there wasn't much in the way of social media, and there were limited ways to access visa information (RIP UbonJoe). TVF helped out. it was the principal outlet for so many people in a wonderful, yet at times strange country. TVF is where I went to get updates on the Red-yellow shirt conflict when I was trying to leave the country as the yellow shirts seized  BKK.   Fast forward, and we had the Covid crisis, an economic crisis and general aging that forced many  people to leave Thailand, never to return again, and of course we had the grim reaper visiting many of the people who had made the site what it was. It's a very different environment now. We can't go back and neither can AN. The best that it can do is to adapt to the changes. 

As I understand its structure, Thaiger is a multimedia platform. It's core business is advertising, promotion and affinity sales. Hosting a forum and providing news isn't its business. The forum is an adjunct to its core business and with the news section is intended to attract potential customers.   Yes, Thaiger has a very open approach to moderation. IMO, too open at times.  IMO  this approach has impacted the attractiveness of the site to potential advertisers. However, there may be no need for the  strict moderation as Thaiger did do what I think was very smart and that was to put the most contentious threads in a section only accessible by members. For example, the thread on the Ukraine-Russia war is dominated by Russian agents and their rehearsed talking points. The Covid and vaccine threads are filled with the usual idiotic conspiracy claims and misinformation but views are limited. In effect, what they did was to say, let the crazies  write, but structure it in a way that you have to go look for it, rather than to allow these people to mess up the publicly accessible parts of their forum.   This doesn't mean that moderation is a bad thing or that I do not agree with its need. And yes, I know that AN forbids discussion of moderation.  My point is that there are benefits to the Thaiger approach. And yet, there is also a need for the current AN methodology. It will be interesting to see what happens now. The status quo cannot continue because people will not accept the current approach and IMO it will be reflected in active membership declining. The reality  though is that the moderation is a side issue; What matters is content and Thaiger has a team of young and talented Thai people ready to breath some life into both platforms. Thaiger has the potential to deliver some interesting affinity programs and hopefully a better real estate platform.  One thing is certain, change here will be good. Whenever there is  M&A activity promises or assurances may be given, but these can  fall by the wayside once the reality of the transaction sets in.

If was that good why did it's founder Tim Newton leave?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It's been pretty clear that AN have had issues from before they had the name change.... huge increases in advertising and popups etc.lack of real news content...unable to use certain sources. I recently noticed how AN had started to use Thaiger as a news source which I thought was highly questionable. 

Take the money and run? How old are the original founders?

By joining with Thaiger the first obvious factor is the reduction in choice.

The second is the almost unbelievably  low quality of content on Thaiger... both news and forums.

Some of it worrying some just laughable. 

Thailand has a uniquely large population of Western foreigners and forums like AN or rather ThaiVisa have for years been a useful source of information and debate.

Thaiger has shown they are incapable of doing this.  By promulgation misinformation and appealing to populist prejudices, does this mark and end to useful information for those foreigners living in Thailand?

Reads like you miss your homeland..........😭

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, proton said:

Tim was a founder ?

I thought Thaiger was the creation of Michael Kenner CEO of DBV Group.

Edited by Ralf001
spelling error
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, proton said:

Tim provides an honest and clear explanation. Thaiger got too big for him, and he felt that it was time as the oldest person there to step aside and to let younger, more ambitious people push on. Also he wasn't comfortable with the progression to ecommerce and the attempt to monetize the media  assets.

3 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

I was one of the first posters on TT started great but certain members took it over and eventually it went downhill quickly some Mods openly supported these members and joined in posting. Some of these members from there are even now on here trying to destable threads.

Perhaps a bit over dramatic. How many active users of the forum  are there? I think you will be lucky  on a busy day to hit 10. There is one moderator, and he keeps a low profile. I can't say I have ever seen him take sides, even when we had a disagreement. And yes a handful of people push their pro Russia agenda  and claims of conspiracies and anti vaccine claims. However, these are in private threads and I doubt that they will interfere or bother anyone at AN. 

As I've stated many times over the years, a lot of posts get removed that don't need to be, simply because they quote posts that break the rules.

Stop discussing moderation. Stop quoting discussions on it. 

8 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I call BS on that... I was banned many times by the liberal left mod squad before I left for good last year.

Yes same as me skippy i called a member out for lying and making up stories I got a life ban for even asking if this was acceptable.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

. And yes a handful of people push their pro Russia agenda  and claims of conspiracies and anti vaccine claims.

This is why censorship needs to taken seriously. In an open forum people are allowed to descent and have alternate viewpoints to yours. You sound like a person who consumes a lot of mainstream media but not all of do and so we debate the issues. Lots of good comes out of free and open debate. If you want to get your opinions from the newspapers and TV then open internet forums aren't the place to be.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, transam said:

I have never applied to be a mod, so I doubt I will start now..........:clap2:

It not the Mods one has to worry about, just look out for the Rockers!

• Haha 1