Angry reactions as foreign couple's car crash leaves injured rider abandoned in Phuket

snoop1130

I'm reminded of an incident over 50 years ago in England, I was waiting in a long queue at a bus stop in winter, it was very cold. A motorbike flipped over just as it was level with the bus stop, the engine was still roaring as it lay on the road. Everybody rushed over to the rider who wasn't badly hurt and helped him away from the road to the bus stop except for one man who stayed with the motorbike, he picked it up from its prone position, sat on the bike and rode away. I collapsed with laughter at such audacity.

16 hours ago, stoner said:

some fault needs to be given to the bike who from the looks of it was well over the posted speed limit. 

the car was well into the turn before the bike came into frame. 

You must be joking, the mercedes should have stooped for the motorbike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"Solid white line: This indicates a separation between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. Crossing this line is generally prohibited."

Amazing how many cars in the pic are breaking this rule.

3 hours ago, retarius said:

It is very difficult to judge but it seems like the bike rider had plenty of time to stop and avoid the collision. Having said that, it is never right to leave the scene of the accident when someone is injured. 

Looking at your post the car driver ALSO had plenty of time to indicate (which he didn't) and plenty of time to stop (he didn't stop either). So why should the bike rider be at fault?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, actonion said:

Bike going too fast.. It's  scary  being a passenger with any Thai driver, when I'm a passenger in my  (Thai) wife's Car  I see the Car in front  Brake lights come on, for the next 3 or 4 Seconds  my Mrs still has her foot on the Gas pedal until I shout BRAKE, yes she's watching the road &  her sight is normal  under other  conditions,     it  just seems   their Brain does'nt register quick enough as seen in this accident...

It's interesting you say that. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few accidents here are caused by back seat drivers shouting at the drivers, causing them to slam on the brakes then get rear ended, due to a non existent hazard. 

In regard to this thread's video, the rule of law and rule of the road appear quiet different. He did what I see every single day here and nobody bats an eyelid. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

but in any case, would YOU check out your car damage before attending to an injured person?

Checking ones car for damage before checking the welfare of the motorcyclist is irrelevant as to who's at fault. People react in different ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, stoner said:

some fault needs to be given to the bike who from the looks of it was well over the posted speed limit. 

What is/was the posted limit? 80 kph in most towns, even central Bangkok,  unless posted.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, arick said:

For sure the motorcyclist was on his phone surely he had plenty of time to at least slow down instead of hitting that car full speed front on on impact.

That's not the point. He was on the correct left side of the road. It is up to the Merc driver to ensure it is safe to turn from the right lane. If he had looked he must have seen the bike coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, stoner said:

Yes, but this is the Thai chance to bash another foreigner. I am curious if these people complaining know that when there is an injury in an accident that ALL rescue workers and Ambulance workers and Doctors tell people to never touch the victim or offer any assistance or they may inadvertently cause more sever injury instead of helping them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

What is/was the posted limit? 80 kph in most towns, even central Bangkok,  unless posted.

Speed limit and speed driven don't matter, except that the rider could get a fine.

The cause of the accident stays the same: the car has to give way to all traffic. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Checking ones car for damage before checking the welfare of the motorcyclist is irrelevant as to who's at fault. People react in different ways.

Yes, people react in different ways. Some care about the welfare of others, to others their car or repair costs are more important.

8 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

A few comments above suggest biker’s fault. Seriously? Bike is going straight, car is turning right. Speed is irrelevant. The car must wait until it is safe to turn. 

Whereas the car is also at fault, speed is the cause of the accident.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

So why should the bike rider be at fault?

The bike rider is partly at fault because he was going way too fast on that road (almost certainly over the speed limit), and the extent of his injuries will almost certainly proportional to the speed.

Doesn't let of the Merc idiot who didn't pay enough attention and also shares the blame. Proper douchebag behaviour of him after the hit too.

Percentage wise I'm not going to speculate, but both parties actions caused the collision.

• Confused 1

Sheesh, both are driving like reincarnation is inevitable.

Driving in Thailand:

• motorcycles turning right in front of you without even looking at oncoming traffic
  • cars just merging into you in an evident game of "chicken" or tailgating like they just tried taco bell for the first time.

Defensive driving works if at least one person is being defensive. Unfortunately, it stops when both drivers are ignoring the road 😅

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, stoner said:

Absolutely. 

And the car appears to be signalling. 

• Haha 1

If the bike rider was going too fast, yes that it a partial fault on the rider. But if a bike is bearing down a road too fast the onus is still on the driver to have awareness of speed and whether or not it is safe to turn.  If the rider has suddenly emerged from a bend for example though, then if the Mercedes driver had ensured the road was clear before commencing the legal turn, then the rider is at fault for speeding into and out of a blind corner without due care. 

Without seeing the layout of the road, it's not possible to determine completely who is at fault.  Probably both.  

Regardless, poor form to ignore an injured person over material damage to a car.  Wealthy with priorities over their material possessions. 

Edited by aussienam
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

The bike rider is partly at fault because he was going way too fast on that road (almost certainly over the speed limit), and the extent of his injuries will almost certainly proportional to the speed.

Doesn't let of the Merc idiot who didn't pay enough attention and also shares the blame. Proper douchebag behaviour of him after the hit too.

Percentage wise I'm not going to speculate, but both parties actions caused the collision.

How do you KNOW he was driving too fast?

How fast was he driving?

Edited by billd766
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

And not paying even the slightest bit of attention.

How do you KNOW he was not paying the slightest bit of attention?

Were you there, and did you actually see what happened?

Edited by billd766
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

How do you KNOW that the bike rider was travelling too fast?

Were you there with a radar speed gun?

Perhaps you managed to read the speedometer on the bike?

Perhaps you have no idea, and are simply making an assumption or a guess?

You seem to be angry and so defensive about something!

I was associated with the Dept of Transportation for over 35 years.  I had the privilege and fortune of many years learning from their seminars and my association the same with the California Hwy Patrol with their ride-along. Although it was never my intention to be riding a motorbike I had the opportunity from my involvement to train to operate a motorbike properly.

In my association with these two organizations, I learned some fundamentals at accident scenes nearly all cadets for law enforcement will be given these basics training to apply to at least determine the cause until the real forensic expert shows up and does their reports. Now living 20 years I seriously doubt the huge majority of police even can figure out 2 plus 2 is 4, sorry if those reading feel this is Thai bashing. In many of the cases, I rode along after listening to the expert you can already develop your assumption which I always kept to myself unless I was asked by the officers I being a guest.

In this particular case, I watch the video and one doesn't have to be there to express an observation from my experience. What do we have you or I will never see the report so what are we left with  " Assumption " Here is mine!

Before the vehicle comes into the picture you will notice 3 motorbikes, a single rider, then a sidecar, then another single rider traveling in the opposite direction observe their movement or speed by gauging their surroundings when the vehicle comes into the picture and make the right turn from the video whatever " right away " vehicles coming towards the vehicle had is gone the vehicle has taken 100% and more if one looks at the front vehicle it is over the solid white line on the side of the road. Yes, even in Thailand there is such a thing as " right of way " and there is such a thing it can be taken from observing this Soi the speed limit should be around 30 KM/H with a 10 KM/L lead max of 40 KM/L.  Now take a good look when the vehicle has made the right it stops at the solid line the driver in my opinion based on stopping sees the biker coming and freezes thereafter no more than 3 seconds before the biker comes into the picture those 3 seconds add up that his speed was in the range of 50-60.

Compare those three seconds to the previous 3 bikers traveling past this point the same distance. You watch the picture and enter the picture from the video there is no attempt to slow down, avoid, or lay the bike down which is the proper training whenever one knows that is the final alternative. The biker from the video looks like they intentionally decided to just slam into the vehicle on purpose.

Police here have no training. Where I'm from ride along if a first responder officer looking at the accident first attends to the hurt rider then he views the accident and knows within minutes a general picture as to what happened. He will speak to witnesses, the car driver passenger to check and align the stories. then he or she will start the basic forensics, are there any skid marks if so they will be measured, the depth of the dent impact into the vehicle, the distance the biker was thrown, etc., etc.

will determine the speed of the biker.

All this evidence gathered will determine the report which doesn't exist in Thailand from my experience. If this was all done I believe what I saw in the video the forensic report would confirm my assumption. One doesn't need to be there and know when any vehicle is operating well beyond the limits.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Woof999 said:

The bike rider is partly at fault because he was going way too fast on that road (almost certainly over the speed limit),

Again, What is/was the posted limit🤫.  Regardless of the speed, the car pulled across the road into the path of another road user. One could argue that had the car been going faster he/she would have completed the maneuvre before the bike got there.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, stoner said:

Correct.

Not only speeding, but, this rider was not practicing Defensive Driving Techniques, and really should have seen the white car as it first began to veer off the straight trajectory, as it began to make the turn.

Also, although difficult to determine from the video, still it does appear that the driver of the white car neglected to use turn-indicator lights.

The woman in the short white skirt, the passenger in the Benz, is too hot to handle.

Could it be possible that the driver of the Benz was preoccupied discussing the weather with the hot passenger, and forgot to use the car's turn indicator lights?

Waiting for more info before drawing any conclusion, here....

NOTE:  It is really quite fortunate for the motorbike rider that the vehicle he chose to collide with as a Benz with a low front bumper, and not some cheap SUV with a high wall of metal in front.  The rider sailed effortlessly over the Benz.  This would not have happened if the collision had been with an SUV.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1