5 years license renewal - Failed Peripheral Vision Color Test

I Couldn't differentiate the colours on the peripheral test. The lady seemed happy to tell me I had failed and to come back tomorrow. Wearing glasses makes the test more difficult, so I will try to push the chair back a bit before I try again.

The reason for this test I would also REALLY like to understand.

Why is it important to be able to differentiate the colors in your peripheral vision as I would guess that you are not supposed to drive using your peripheral vision, at least thats not the way I drive (or pay attention to traffic lights when I am driving)

• Agree 1

I had some trouble with that one, but passed on the second try.  The machine that I used didn't show the same red-yellow-green colors that traffic lights use, instead they had a sort of orange and then two different shades of green! 

Once I figured out which green was supposed to be yellow, I had no problems.

Edited by Callmeishmael
  • Thanks 1

Took mrs 3 times to pass the driving test, was offered under the table for 500 baht, must be a lot more these days. The film they show now is a laugh, done in lakorn style with a ladyboy and screaming women to try and get people to watch it instead of their phone. Did not notice anything about zebra crossings!

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Wearing glasses makes the test more difficult, so I will try to push the chair back a bit before I try again.

I found it easier to identify the peripheral colours if I do the test with my glasses off.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Alldar said:

What do you mean by peripheral?

You look dead ahead and use your periphery to judge what colour light is showing.  It's very difficult.  I believe it called a peripheral vison test, and this is what that means.

13 minutes ago, Alldar said:

You are able to look directly at the lights and just state the colors. They are not testing peripheral vision as far as I know.

I wondered about this, as I have done the test but couldn't see anything at first.  Then I crouched a little and could make out some lights, but I couldn't see the colours well.  The lady let me pass, but I was completely baffled by what the test would be for.

It occurred to me afterwards that I could have moved my eyes rather than relying on my peripheral vision, which actually makes a lot more sense.  I suspect it's one of these things where they aren't sure what to name it, so name it incorrectly. 

Since there is no way of them knowing if you moved your eyes and I don't really think people can judge colours accurately using their peripheral vison, I don't think that is the purpose.

• Thanks 1

The last three times I underwent vision tests for a Thai driving license, they included a standard color-blindness test where I had to identify a number within a circle of various colors. Additionally, there was a brake reaction test involving traffic lights and a depth perception test requiring the alignment of two pins on slides. Are these tests still not the same? I need to retake the test soon.

Edited by LosLobo

22 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

You look dead ahead and use your periphery to judge what colour light is showing.  It's very difficult.  I believe it called a peripheral vison test, and this is what that means.

No they are not doing peripheral color blind test. It is just a normal color blind test where you can look directly and you don't use your peripheral vision at all. 

24 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It occurred to me afterwards that I could have moved my eyes rather than relying on my peripheral vision, which actually makes a lot more sense.  I suspect it's one of these things where they aren't sure what to name it, so name it incorrectly. 

No, you can move your eyes and you can look directly at the light. There was no instructions given for this. And the name is not incorrect, only people in this topic is calling it incorrectly. That's what I tried to point out.

7 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

The last three times I underwent vision tests for a Thai driving license, they included a standard color-blindness test where I had to identify a number within a circle of various colors. Additionally, there was a brake reaction test involving traffic lights and a depth perception test requiring the alignment of two pins on slides. Are these tests still not the same? I need to retake the test soon.

It depends on the DLT I suppose. In my case we had a light which was changing colors. No pictures. And no depth perception test as well.

Did colour bubbles, traffic light colours , brake test ( with no brake failure excuse ) 😀 The depth perception test .

Peripheral vision , eyes into like a binocular set up and a chin stirrup , just signal when a light came on , left or right.

and an hour watching a video while the license was made.

3 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Did colour bubbles, traffic light colours , brake test ( with no brake failure excuse ) 😀 The depth perception test .

Peripheral vision , eyes into like a binocular set up and a chin stirrup , just signal when a light came on , left or right.

and an hour watching a video while the license was made.

Lot more tests than I had. I had just traffic light and reaction test / brake test.

The peripheral vision test is done to see if people have glaucoma. The colors may make it easier for some.

Good peripheral vision is essential to notice that motorcycle riding close.

Over age 45 should have a thorough eye exam with dilation every year by an ophthalmologist. Rutnin is pricey but good value.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
add
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alldar said:

What do you mean by peripheral? You are able to look directly at the lights and just state the colors. They are not testing peripheral vision as far as I know.

You look straight ahead and lights are shown on you left and right.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Lot more tests than I had. I had just traffic light and reaction test / brake test.

Bit like immigration , different offices , different requirements.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

You look straight ahead and lights are shown on you left and right.

Ok, but that is just peripheral vision test. You don't need to call out colors during that test, do you?

49 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

The peripheral vision test is done to see if people have glaucoma. The colors may make it easier for some.

Good peripheral vision is essential to notice that motorcycle riding close.

Over age 45 should have a thorough eye exam with dilation every year by an ophthalmologist. Rutnin is pricey but good value

A peripheral vision test will not detect if you have glaucoma. It can be an indicator that you might, but peripheral vision loss can be caused by a number of different eye conditions. Glaucoma is only one of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alldar said:

What do you mean by peripheral? You are able to look directly at the lights and just state the colors. They are not testing peripheral vision as far as I know

FYI you are wrong and unless you know what the op is about you should get your facts straight. the 1st time you apply for a licence if starting from scratch (not using home licence to get thai licence) there is a crazy test in which you have to put your chin on a support and tell which color you see in the corner of your left eye and which color you see in your right eye while looking straight ahead. never heard of another country that tests this way... then you do your color perception test... as for bribes? last i heard it is near impossible to find someone to help. there was a crackdown in 2004 and since then... well... good luck. the best i heard of is a guy in pattaya that takes his customers to chachoengsoa dmv... but you still have to do depth perception and color test... no peripheral view. i only saw that one in bkk

27 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

FYI you are wrong and unless you know what the op is about you should get your facts straight. the 1st time you apply for a licence if starting from scratch (not using home licence to get thai licence) there is a crazy test in which you have to put your chin on a support and tell which color you see in the corner of your left eye and which color you see in your right eye while looking straight ahead. never heard of another country that tests this way... then you do your color perception test... as for bribes? last i heard it is near impossible to find someone to help. there was a crackdown in 2004 and since then... well... good luck. the best i heard of is a guy in pattaya that takes his customers to chachoengsoa dmv... but you still have to do depth perception and color test... no peripheral view. i only saw that one in bkk

Well you are wrong too. I did my Thai driving license completely from scratch and I have never done such test! It seems all the tests depends on which DLT office you go to.

That's why I was thinking there couldn't be any peripheral color blind test as 1) I have never done such test for my driving license, 2) never heard about that kind of test. In case it is really done in Thailand I would be wondering which DLT office is doing it.

26 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

With my glasses on could not see. Took them off and really pushed my face into the face thing. I am colour blind and not sure, but the lady passed me.

That was how I did the test last time. Now, the test involves sitting in a chair. At the side of you, there is a frame made of blue pvc pipe with the lights fitted in the top. 

27 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

the best i heard of is a guy in pattaya that takes his customers to chachoengsoa dmv... but you still have to do depth perception and color test... no peripheral view. i only saw that one in bkk

I am in Chachoengsao.