Why are so many foreigners residing in Thailand problematic types?

123Stodg

3 hours ago, theblether said:

I'd like to address the utter stupidity of the OP and the Brigade of Sanctimonious Fools who agree with his meandering BS. 

Here's the fundamental problem. Far too many of you have zero experience of expatriate life outside of Thailand. The Kingdom has been your first experience and you are that dumb you think Thailand is in some way unique. Get a grip on yourselves ya bunch of delirious dunderheids. 

My first experience of expatriate life was West Africa, 1970. The encampment we lived on was a hotbed of alcoholism, racism, sexism, sexual gamesmanship, extortion and, eh, a definite lack of cultural sensitivity. 

1980's Spain, notorious for all of the above plus staggering levels of criminal activity. 

1990's Germany - add fraud, rampant drug dealing, and all ex-military types will be able to recount unbelievable stories of misbehaviour around that community. Where I worked one guy was decapitated by a jealous husband, a fellow Scot beaten half to death and thrown out of a second story window, then set on fire after interfering with the wrong Latina Toxica. 

Ask the guys who worked in the oil & gas trade how "culturally sensitive" their fellow workers were - it was an international gangbang circuit with many a deviant wife providing the entertainment. That's before the criminal element kicked in, and like all expat communities, it was soaked in alcohol. 

Mexico, the same, Colombia - people are on the streets protesting against expatriates - Nigeria, ffs - Brazil? My gawd

Criminals in the expatriate community, oooh, Betty - who would have though?? Alcoholics and sexual deviants? Shiver me timbers. 

I swear to gawd, some of you need to shut yer mooths and stop proving your sanctimonious stupidity. 

You are such an great example. I admire you 😁

Im leaving Thailand before it is to late.

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Ehh everyone is planning to leave.. They just FKed up and everything that might lack in the Philips will be there in 6-12 months if masses move. Thailand is just dying at a hardcore speed: i see owner after owners who were here 10-15-20-30 years and now back elsewhere, essentially broke from whatever that it is they did here before. To then cry of the sad ending memories.

I relocate back home, because I can, and good to have two bases, and not get stuck as many do. 

Good for wife to optain dual citizenship. You never know when or if it will be handy again, like during covid for instance. 

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I relocate back home, because I can, and good to have two bases, and not get stuck as many do. 

Good for wife to optain dual citizenship. You never know when or if it will be handy again, like during covid for instance. 

many options, many people, many choices being made. All I am sad about is how I was laughed about ever since I joined this forum, screaming all of this, way before covid even started. It was and is just so obvious by the design of previous things... Anyway, I will sail the world and be a pirate.

Its exact same as covid or any other subject, same as biden being a complete idiot, they all disagree and fight you, and then when truth came out: silence. I genuinely feel for the majority of people, being so incredible stupid. And no, I do not assume that, it is a fact, else plenty made their way out with money and power.

People are miserable arrogant dickheads, with litte skills or knowledge, a BS load of opinions, but they will be quiet like a mouse to be executed, when truth confronts them. All this is exactly why the only way is the high way, which is WW3.

If any of the 95/100 people I met had anything, it was always only the money part. Otherwise; they were dickheads X 10.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

many options, many people, many choices being made. All I am sad about is how I was laughed about ever since I joined this forum, screaming all of this, way before covid even started. It was and is just so obvious by the design of previous things... Anyway, I will sail the world and be a pirate.

Its exact same as covid or any other subject, same as biden being a complete idiot, they all disagree and fight you, and then when truth came out: silence.

Maybe better to sleep on it?

14 hours ago, 123Stodg said:

I can't help but notice all the negative aspects about many of the expats I've come across in Thailand. It's disheartening to see that so many foreigners seem to fall into one of several categories: unpleasant, criminal, or otherwise problematic.

Firstly, the number of rude and disrespectful expats is staggering. It's as if some people left their manners at the airport. From obnoxious behavior in public to a complete lack of respect for Thai culture and people, these individuals don't add anything positive to the backdrop. It's also embarrassing and frustrating to witness. How hard is it to learn a few basic phrases in Thai, be a bit more polite, or follow simple cultural norms? Instead, we see loud, self-entitled behavior that screams, "I don't care about your country or your customs."

Secondly, the criminal element among some expats is alarming. Every other day, it seems like there's news of another foreigner involved in drugs, fraud, violence, some form of exploitation, or other illegal activities. It's as if Thailand has become a base for these unsavory characters. This not only tarnishes the reputation of the expat community but also undermines the safety and tranquility that many other expats came here seeking. Why should locals trust us foreigners when they see so many of our compatriots behaving so disgracefully?

Another troubling aspect is the noticeable lack of respect for local laws among some expats. Whether it's overstaying visas, working illegally, or engaging in shady business practices, these actions show a blatant disregard for the rules and regulations of the country that's hosting them. This kind of behavior only serves to alienate foreigners further from the local community.

The arrogance and superiority displayed by some expats is also deeply troubling. Many act as if they are better than the locals, displaying condescending attitudes and constantly complaining about Thailand and its people while refusing to adapt. This creates a toxic environment and further damages the relationship between expats and locals.

To add to the negativity, many expats seem perpetually angry, unfriendly, and dissatisfied with their lives in Thailand. It's baffling to see such resentment and unappreciative attitudes in people who have chosen to live in a foreign country. They complain endlessly about everything from the lack of safety to the frustrations with local customs, creating a cloud of negativity that affects everyone around them. Instead of appreciating the unique experiences and opportunities Thailand offers, these individuals seem to be stuck in a loop of dissatisfaction and bitterness, making it harder for other foreigners, who genuinely respect the country, to maintain good relations with locals.

Finally, there's the issue of health and hygiene. Some long-term expats neglect their health, often seen as very overweight, poorly groomed, and suffering from lifestyle-related illnesses due to poor diet, lack of physical activity and excessive alcohol consumption. This not only affects their quality of life but also perpetuates negative stereotypes about expats being unhealthy and unkempt.

Why is all this happening? Is it the lax visa regulations or the perception that Thailand is an easy place to hide that draws these types in? Whatever the reason, it's just sad and very disheartening.

Well I agree with all these comments - I think a lot of the newer or tourists are coming here to take a break from their home problems - when I talk with anyone in the states, they talk about how negative all the people are too, plus here a lot of grumbling about the taxes - and then I see that this is a world wide problem and thus the OECD, CRS. FACTA. FBAR. etc that 138 countries signed onto (OECD) but all agree that there is too many people not paying their taxes due.  From this grumbling here, I wonder how many that fits but to each his own.  As an American, I believe that which was said by B. Franklin over 200 years ago - nothing is certain except taxes and death.  I feel I will not be affected tax wise here but maybe some paper work for the Thai Revenue Department to leave me alone.  Would really appreciate the final on this year's taxes - to see if they make any kind of announcement that ALL expats have to get a Thai Tax ID whether one has no assessable income.  Once heard on a video that this was once considered but nothing came of it.  Good luck to all, hope the bad stuff continues to happen to someone else.

45 minutes ago, jayboy said:
57 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The OP first needs to ask why Thailand attracts so many of the people he writes about. There are other countries in the region which do not.

Some facts

1.Thailand has always attracted slightly odd foreigners, many with outstanding talents but uncomfortable with their lives in the West

2.The numbers of foreigners have increased hugely over the last forty years or so. The profile has also changed essentially from upper middle class to lower middle class and working class.The numbers from what used to be called the criminal class has also increased.

Yes. Exactly my point. Why does Thailand attract them? Many come here as they can't keep up with the higher standards back home and so feel more comfortable with, let's say, the less demanding society here. They don't have to try so hard to keep up appearances and can 'get away' with things in Thailand that they wouldn't be able to back home. I am often reminded of what a Korean tv producer I worked with said, summing up the country in just six words - the standards here are so low. That clearly suits many.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many come here as they can't keep up with the higher standards back home

That may well be the case now but in the 1960's and before many expatriate Brits were of the patrician or upper middle class and had made a deliberate choice to live in Siam.There was certainly no question of them lacking confidence or not being thoroughly at home in British society.They were also at home in upper class and highly educated Thai circles.They had nothing in common with the current British Pattaya oriented expat community - whom they would have regarded as an alien life form.

• Sad 1