Which beer brand is your favourite in Thailand? Leo, Chang, Singha, etc.

RolandRat

Just now, Ben Zioner said:

Food was better 8 or 9 years ago, but still good. I like the Soi and probably conceived my second daughter four or five floors above Monsoon. 

to be honest, i haven't eaten there in around 5,6 years, but it used to feature high in the rotation

I don't drink to get drunk, I drink because I like the flavour of certain beers. 

Back in the UK some of my favourite ales were "summer ales" that were typically brewed lighter in colour but still maintaining an intense flavour of hops that you would associate with ale rather than lager.

My particular favourite was Dizzy Blonde brewed by Robinson's of Stockport. I had long given up ever finding anyhing remotely comparable over here. 

However, last year I found M32's Hoppy Pale Lager on the shelves at Villa in Bangkok and, more recently, much to my delight it is now stocked by my local Lotus's in Pak Chong.

It's become my favourite sundowner. If you are an ale man rather than a lager man then give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised 😋

20240227_170801.thumb.jpg.a5d10b4cf3a51f2ec8091b4fe37b1017.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a particular favourite, and keep a supply of different beers in the fridge. I suppose, if I had to name the best, I'd say Tapper and Leo 8, but I'll also have Singha or Chang or Leo or Caribou Lager or Dunkel now and then.

But Thailand is a beer desert, even with all the recent overpriced local 'craft' beers, when compared to Europe, even the USA these days. I am from the UK where you can walk into most pubs and find two or three beers you've never seen before, go to the next pub and repeat, and the next and the next. The variety is infinite.

• Like 1

Heineken for me, it's consistently good quality wherever I drink it, even when in Australia I'll buy Heiny rather than any of the Aussie lagers. One of the criteria I use for judging a beer is how is it the next day? The hangover test. While I don't get sloshed and moderate my drinking these days, there are those odd occasions when I might drink a bit too much, I can handle a Heiny hangover, whereas Chang or Leo hangovers are much rougher. And a Sing hangover is something I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, ArnieP said:

Tawandang. All three varieties: Weizen, IPA, and Rosé.

I don't really like beer much except maybe when eating out.  But I have to say I tried Tawandeng Rose and up until now it is the only beer I have ever drunk that I felt compelled to pour down the sink after a mouthful. Horrible. How they can even call it beer beats me when it's nearest relative is SPY wine cooler ....equally grim IMO.

• Love It 1

45 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

The crap that poms drink  :clap2:

First made in Aus and exported to a the motherland

Payback for the convict ships  

No self respecting Pom would ever be seen drinking Fosters. Even when at home. You would have to draw the curtains in case a neighbor saw you.

I don't think you can even get drunk on Fosters.

• Like 1

If I'm drinking beer at home, it's Asahi Dry, Beer Lao, or San Miguel (in the fat bottles).

A few of the local bars here don't stock the above, so it's usually Tiger, Erdinger / Paulener, or last resort; San Miguel Light.

The local beers Leo, Chang, Singha etc, I wouldn't even use for cooking. 🤢

2 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

I don't drink to get drunk, I drink because I like the flavour of certain beers. 

Back in the UK some of my favourite ales were "summer ales" that were typically brewed lighter in colour but still maintaining an intense flavour of hops that you would associate with ale rather than lager.

My particular favourite was Dizzy Blonde brewed by Robinson's of Stockport. I had long given up ever finding anyhing remotely comparable over here. 

However, last year I found M32's Hoppy Pale Lager on the shelves at Villa in Bangkok and, more recently, much to my delight it is now stocked by my local Lotus's in Pak Chong.

It's become my favourite sundowner. If you are an ale man rather than a lager man then give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised 😋

20240227_170801.thumb.jpg.a5d10b4cf3a51f2ec8091b4fe37b1017.jpg

Its illegal to display a beer name, logo or trademark on social media so you may want to be careful. I was called out on this as a Cafe owner for the exact same thing due to a ruling from 2008.