New E-Gates for Thai Passports Debut at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

I went through Suvarnabhumi last Wednesday at 11 PM and was shocked that there was practically no line at Immigration. Each Immigration line only had 1 or 2 persons waiting. I've been coming here for 10 years and never saw it like that. Normally it can be a 30 minute wait. I don't know why it was like that but I hope it lasts!

My work colleague, an American farang, had a white-coloured Thailand Certificate of Residence book that he would show Thai Immigration whenever he was exiting or entering Thailand. Our business travel was extensive and we would often travel together but I only had a one year Business Visa, extended annually. 

One would think that my colleague would pass through Thai immigration much quicker than I but the opposite was true. Why? Because Thai immigration officers were so unfamiliar with the "white book" that my colleague had and so were not quite sure what to do. Typically they had to call for their superior to come sort it out.

This hassle put me off for applying for Thai residency.

• Love It 1

This auto system does not work for me at arrivals in Heathrow . Then , after waiting to use the auto system which failed for me I was told to join the back of the long zig zag  queues for the I/O p/p control . 

These auto systems are a pain ( even when checking in at Heathrow ) and a staff member often has to help . 

In a similar way , UK supermarkets and DIY stores are using a self service check out that often has long queues , to cut back on staffing levels . I have seen customers leave their shopping trolleys , rather than use these auto systems .

There is often confusion from infrequent users and the elderly .

If these systems break down there is mayhem with literally thousands of travelers stranded and the lack of I/Os means that there are delays at PP control of 5, 6, 7 hours as happened at Heathrow last year . 

Expensive and not necessary , just employ more staff .

• Confused 3
  • Agree 2

TIT

13 of the 56 implemented and for Thai's rather than non Thai's.  

It is unfortunate that we don't have people in this organisations that can think in anyway other than politically.

Get them implemented quickly, trial with the non Thai's who are more compliated (take more time manually to process) to process and are generally tourists and maintain them correctly so they keep working!!!

Also, 20 seconds to process???  If it takes longer than 5 or 6 secounds then you need to tighten the rubber bands!

1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

Immigration and technology omg, took them 2-3 yrs to get the 90 day report to a workable level 

More on the funny side... I remember we fought with the online registration at least 15 years ago. So it took more than 2-3 years.. Its still half working.. Most of the time it works now, but not always still.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Used to be that I could go through the "Thai" section with my wife (usually making the process a lot faster). Anyone know if that has been discontinued now?

Done it 2 weeks ago with my thai wife, no problem...eventhough I'm on retirement extension

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:
3 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Used to be that I could go through the "Thai" section with my wife (usually making the process a lot faster). Anyone know if that has been discontinued now?

Just doit....you won't be stopped.

But let your wife or Thai partner be processed FIRST. My experience, since voiced by others, the pencil neck at the desk can cop an attitude if you go first or, as in my case, put your foreign passport on top of the Thai passport if you go side-by-side.

YMMV

Edited by NanLaew

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

E-gates reserved for Thai nationals only...

Just like everything else in this protectionist cesspit!

bob.

Your bullshyite bias and persistent negative rhetoric against all things Thai is blinding you so severely lack a basic ability to comprehend what is in front of you.... 

After a 'testing phase' the new gates will cater to foreigners. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Furthermore, preparations are underway to test the biometric capabilities of these gates fully. Once these tests, conducted in collaboration with AOT, are successful, the new gates will also cater to foreign travellers.

• Thanks 1