Makro vs GO Wholesale - What is your favourite?

Long time Makro customer I now occasionally visiting GO wholesale. Commuting to both stores is almost equal, so this is not an issue.

While I found that the vegetable and fruit section at any Makro (big or small) beats GO wholesale, the meat and especially seafood tends to be better at GO wholesale.

However, most GO markets are so huge, you need too long to find everything IMO. Positive is their bistro with pizza slices, grilled chicken and BBQ spare ribs.

What experience do others have with those two brands?

Getting no replies here, so I'll move the topic to the Pub where I am sure they will have a lot to say on this important topic. 🙂

I actually prefer GO Wholesale, better layout and better parking having said that we regularly go to both on the same shopping trip looking for the best freshest product and value.

• Agree 1

Been in GO once, and that will probably also be the last time.

Notice jagota runs the meat and cheese counter, which means overpriced for the very same thing. This was actually confirmed to me by a Jagota staff member at Big C Xtra, when I asked why there were burgers at 2 different prices.(more than 50% different) I was told one version is from Big C and the other from Jagota.

My next question was, so they are different meat quality, to which the answer was, no same meat but different companies.

I notice Jagota was active at Makro also for a very short stint in the charcuterie department, because it is now Siam foods.

The Biggest Problem with MAKRO is that this retailer refuses to accept American Express Card.

I would not mind shopping at MAKRO if they would change their credit-card policy.

Maybe they already have since I was there last, to check.

Until then, I will just shop at Lotus which takes AmEx.

I also buy a lot of TOPS Tuna, and Makro does not have Tops Tuna.

Really, there is not much that I need to buy at Makro, when I think about it.

Basically, at the larger stores, I just buy rice, extra-virgin olive oil from Spain, chicken breasts, and canned tuna.  So, would it even be worth it for me to buy at Makro, considering the fact that they won't take my AmEx card (as far as I know, and as of this date).  Also, I like shopping at Lotus.  Very bright and friendly atmosphere, for example.

If Makro has some super deal on a gallon or two of Spanis olive oil, then I might be tempted, and then be willing to pay cash.

Until then, I must give Makro a pass.

Not sure if GO is nearby.

If GO accepts AmEx, then I might try.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The Biggest Problem with MAKRO is that this retailer refuses to accept American Express Card.

They won't take my kasikorn credit card.

The only store in Thailand I pay cash. 

They only take UOB I think. 

It's a robber's paradise, all that cash. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

Go Wholesale is similar pricing to Tops (they are both part of Central Group) but with a more limited range with fewer upmarket and imported products.  Unlike Macro Go has more single packs, so it's not as focussed on business customers.  I liked the wide aisles and the bakery, but with higher prices and fewer bulk packs it's not really in the same sector as Macro.

• Like 1

We shop at both and don't notice any difference, they both stock the same products, and prices are often identical (I am sure they just copy each other).

Go doesn't appear to have had any impact on macro as it is still just as busy, car park full, wait at checkout etc.

8 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

What's the benefit of a Makro membership?

Anyone have one?

I have had a card for several years, I think the card is only beneficial to business buyer, I have never gotten anything for it, threw it in the trash a couple of days ago

I know a guy who seems to make a science out of the different big shopping places.

According to him it is often wrong to say this brand is better or that brand. It seems there are huge differences in each "shop". Some have a good management, and everything is well organized, fresh, etc. And others have a bad management - independent of the brand.

Personally, I can confirm this with Villa Market. There are huge differences in the management. 

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OK.  Now I feel a bit better about this entire Topic.

It seems I had mistakenly believed that MAKRO was unfairly biased and against AmEx.

Now, I realize that all credit cards are equal in the eyes of Makro.

That's fine with me.

If they insist on nothing but cash, then I can easily adapt, and pay them cash.

And, I won't even try to pay them in One-Baht coins, either.

If cash is their policy, then I think it is a good policy.

Paying cash is good for the consumer.

It helps the consumer to realize that things they buy actually DO cost money.

And, it helps consumers to stay withing their budgets.

So, I guess they also do not take the VISA credit card, as you say?

If true, I can gladly accept their policy.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would not mind shopping at MAKRO if they would change their credit-card policy.

Maybe they already have since I was there last, to check.

Until then, I will just shop at Lotus which takes AmEx.

I also buy a lot of TOPS Tuna, and Makro does not have Tops Tuna.

Really, there is not much that I need to buy at Makro, when I think about it.

Basically, at the larger stores, I just buy rice, extra-virgin olive oil from Spain, chicken breasts, and canned tuna.  So, would it even be worth it for me to buy at Makro, considering the fact that they won't take my AmEx card (as far as I know, and as of this date).  Also, I like shopping at Lotus.  Very bright and friendly atmosphere, for example.

If Makro has some super deal on a gallon or two of Spanis olive oil, then I might be tempted, and then be willing to pay cash.

Until then, I must give Makro a pass.

Not sure if GO is nearby.

If GO accepts AmEx, then I might try.

Need a tissue to dry your eye ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It seems I had mistakenly believed that MAKRO was unfairly biased and against AmEx.

If they insist on nothing but cash, then I can easily adapt, and pay them cash.

If cash is their policy, then I think it is a good policy.

Makro excepts credits cards... those issued by UOB.

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Go Wholesale is similar pricing to Tops (they are both part of Central Group) but with a more limited range with fewer upmarket and imported products.  Unlike Macro Go has more single packs, so it's not as focussed on business customers.  I liked the wide aisles and the bakery, but with higher prices and fewer bulk packs it's not really in the same sector as Macro.

So, anyway, as I stated, I buy a lot of canned Tuna from TOPS.  The TOPS tuna is good quality, and slightly lower price.

I like shopping at TOPS, too, but not at all the stores.

It all depends upon which store has the better manager.

I am not that price sensitive, because I do not buy a lot of CRAPPOLA that I do not need, especially any ultra-processed foods.

I stopped buying peanut butter.  Skippy now tastes so disgusting (to me).  Skippy tastes to me like..... pure pig lard, ... in fact...especially after not having tasted it in a few months.

I found a jar I had not known existed, purchased last year, and tried it.

If one does not eat this junk regularly, one is able to really taste the disgustingness of it.

Of course, some people love it, just as they love SPAM.

So now, I guess, anytime I feel like paying CASH, then I will head to MAKRO, which is not far from me.  I recall that they seem to have cheaper vegetables.

But I rarely eat vegetables.

In future, I think I will not change my buying habits:  Lotus GOOD; Tops GOOD

But, I will reserve the right to go to any good store with a deep discount on quality Extra-VIRGIN Spanish Olive Oil.

I really like olive oil, on just about anything, and for any occasion.

31 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Makro excepts credits cards... those issued by UOB.

OK.

Thank you for the clarification.

In this case, I will not shop at MAKRO.

If Makro is not interested in making the effort to accept my AmEx card, then I will find it too much effort to visit Makro.

And, no harm done to either party, in this case.

Someday, maybe, Makro will change it's credit card policy to be more accepting of new payment methods.

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

If Makro is not interested in making the effort to accept my AmEx card, then I will find it too much effort to visit Makro.

Someday, maybe, Makro will change it's credit card policy to be more accepting of new payment methods.

Am sure they will fell hard done by with your refusal of patronage.

Edited by Ralf001

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Am sure they will fell hard done by with your refusal of patronage.

This is NOT about Makro.

This is about me, the shopper/consumer, and my freedom to choose where I shop, based upon goods and services provided by individual retailers.

I rarely, if ever, think about Makro stores.

The only reason I am thinking about Makro, this year, is that I, yesterday, noticed this Topic on TV.

And, the only reason I noticed this Topic, too, is due to the fact that this Topic was recently moved to the Farang Pub.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Do you not have a smart phone?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

credit card company charges the merchant a fee when they use a card. So cash is cheaper and better for everybody involved. All we are doing when we use credit cards is handing a bank a ransom. So when people say it’s “convenient” maybe but you are a screwing yourself and everyone else into higher prices. 

Cash is NEVER cheaper than electronic payment systems. There is a much higher cost to handling cash..........or you think Makro pay their suppliers in cash

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

You gotta get over this cc thing. The best way to transact is cash. Like we do in markets. That way nobody else is involved. 

As I tried to explain earlier, when you pay with cc the store is charged a fee. Sure, maybe you don’t see it on your bill, but it’s there. We all have to pay for it. It’s just the banks sticking themselves in the middle of the transactions and taking a piece for no reason whatsoever. Overuse of credit cards is a sign you’ve been manipulated imo. It’s not that difficult to stop and be part of the solution. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Cash is NEVER cheaper than electronic payment systems. There is a much higher cost to handling cash..........or you think Makro pay their suppliers in cash

The store, makro in this case, get charged a fee when you use a credit card. I know because I’ve had businesses. It’s a huge expense that needs to be worked into your costs ie customers end up paying for the fee. 

Cash is king. It’s indisputable. Nobody has any idea what you’re talking about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Do you not have a smart phone?

Yes, I do.

I see you can QR code and deduct from your savings account. 

I'm one that avoids QR purchases from savings account. 

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is NOT about Makro.

This is about me, the shopper/consumer, and my freedom to choose where I shop, based upon goods and services provided by individual retailers.

And yet you ooze butthurt, lots of it.

Contrary to your relentless dribble they DO accept credit cards and yes YOU do have the freedom of choice to shop there or not, Earlier you said you would be happy to use cash (because you thought they accepted no credit cards) but have now done a backflip on that for reasons I  can only assume to support you own (nobody give a sh!t) dribble.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

The store, makro in this case, get charged a fee when you use a credit card. I know because I’ve had businesses. It’s a huge expense that needs to be worked into your costs ie customers end up paying for the fee. 

Cash is king. It’s indisputable. Nobody has any idea what you’re talking about. 

Denial.

You think cash is free to transact, it is also a cost to the business.

Cash is dying.....it will take longer to die in Thailand, but it will die.

What you mean is that YOU have no idea what I am talking about.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

What's the benefit of a Makro membership?

Anyone have one?

We get the occasional freebie (although they do seem to have dried up recently).

• Agree 1