Deputy PM Anutin opposes PM Srettha’s cannabis reclassification

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior, Anutin Charnvirakul, declared his opposition to Prime Minister (PM) Srettha Thavisin‘s policy to reclassify cannabis as a Narcotics Category 5 drug.

Of course he does... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

He obviously has some serious cannabis businesses....he's been harping on far too strongly and for too long, to just simply be against the forthcoming ruling...

I have been told that it is his brother (or BIL?). He is rumoured to have one of the largest cannabis farms in Thailand.

I can not find any proof or this though.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin, leader of the Bhumjaithai party, said he has informed Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin that he could not vote in support of criminalisation of cannabis and hemp because some board members, who voted in favour of decriminalisation, are still in the board, on which the majority of members now want to re-criminalise the plants by putting them back on Category 5 drug list.

i have read and re-read this over and over and i still dont understand it... why does some members who voted to declassifying it still being on the board make it so he cant vote? HE being sreta, i guess... not clear reporting at all

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Two cannabis activists even began a hunger strike in protest last week.

Wait until they get the Munchies big time ! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have been told that it is his brother (or BIL?). He is rumoured to have one of the largest cannabis farms in Thailand.

I can not find any proof or this though.

I think it's the daughter of Newin Chidchob that you are talking about.

"In April, Newin Chidchob, a close associate of Anutin’s, organised a “Cannabis Expo,” also in Buriram, where he proclaimed that marijuana could be Thailand’s cure for poverty and disease. Newin is a patron of BJT and CEO of Buriram United Football Club. He is not a politician, but is widely known as the puppet-master behind many MPs in Buriram. Shortly thereafter, Newin’s daughter Chidchanok Chidchob registered with the Ministry of Health to create Buriram Community Enterprise (BCE), Thailand’s first cannabis supplier. "

Courtesy of Fulcrum https://fulcrum.sg/thailands-marijuana-politics-down-from-a-high/

Worth reading the whole article in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nahkit said:

"In April, Newin Chidchob, a close associate of Anutin’s, organised a “Cannabis Expo,” also in Buriram, where he proclaimed that marijuana could be Thailand’s cure for poverty and disease. Newin is a patron of BJT and CEO of Buriram United Football Club. He is not a politician, but is widely known as the puppet-master behind many MPs in Buriram. Shortly thereafter, Newin’s daughter Chidchanok Chidchob registered with the Ministry of Health to create Buriram Community Enterprise (BCE), Thailand’s first cannabis supplier. "

Could lead to a third series" "Narcos Buriram".

Pretty disgusting IMHO.

• Sad 1

If  Anutin Charnvirakul stood on a platform of right wing politics, and denounced Srettha Thavisin for his mass open door immigration/tourism policy, he would win alot of votes in Thailand. 

He's done the rhetoric before, during covid. Many local thai's i remember agreed with him. Whilst Thais were masking up and being careful, you had foreigners coming out acting like big shots not abiding by the rules/laws and showing respect as visitors in the country. He got much support for being one of the only guys to dare speak up. 

This time next year Thais will be furious when tourism levels reach record breaking figures, rents shoot up, and there is a takeover by the Indian/Russina/Chinese communities. We've seen protests in France, Spain, Japan against mass tourism. 

Srettha is from a background in Real estate, and that's where most of his policies (in my opinion) seem to be benefitting. He is doing very little (or unable to) to diversify Thai's economy the way Vietnam or Malaysia have done to great success. Instead it's more a less a push to cheap mass tourism (but on Steroids). 

It's if Anutin is wise enough to realise the open goal he has. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

urged him to speak about his reasons ( $$$$$ x 10 )

However, the meeting has not yet been scheduled. ( Payment not made yet )

... concluded by  ...  agree to reclassify cannabis as a narcotic if there was proof that more $ can be made somewhere else

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Of course the deputy will vote against it, its his cash cow and what drives Thai people more than $$$$$ - nothing!!

Well it was his party’s policy after all! Regardless of monies lost or made, he would be spineless and a complete numpty to agree to reclassify now. While Pita should be running things, Anutin, despite is dislike of foreigners, is probably the next best thing for Thailand. This Sretta character (even under is overlord) is a damp squib waste of space and keeps going against the majority. 

Edited by daveAustin
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Basically, this country isn't ready for cannabis law changes. Until  it has a functioning police force, considerably less corruption, better educational system, and less poverty, it's just too soon. Last thing Thailand needs is to inject more drugs into it's society.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Well it was his party’s policy after all! Regardless of monies lost or made, he would be spineless and a complete numpty to agree to reclassify now. While Pita should be running things, Anutin, despite is dislike of foreigners, is probably the next best thing for Thailand. This Sretta character (even under is overlord) is a damp squib waste of space and keeps going against the majority. 

You really feel Anutin is the next best thing ??????

• Confused 1