Thailand Warns Public on Dangers of Cyanide Possession

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Justice Ministry has issued a stern warning to the public about the severe legal and health risks associated with the unauthorized possession of cyanide. This announcement arises from a recent violent incident in Bangkok where cyanide was found at the scene.

Kanika Aunjit, Deputy Government Spokesperson, highlighted the Ministry of Justice's warning, emphasizing that unauthorized possession of cyanide can lead to imprisonment and fines.

Cyanide, while used in industry and found in small amounts in everyday items like certain fruits and grains, is highly toxic and can severely impact the central nervous system, liver, kidneys, and heart.

Kanika informed that cyanide exposure can occur through ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption. Even in small doses, it causes significant health issues.

High doses can induce immediate symptoms such as headache, palpitations, flushed skin, difficulty breathing, seizures, unconsciousness, and cardiac arrest within 10 minutes. On the other hand, prolonged exposure to smaller amounts can lead to headaches, drowsiness, nausea, and respiratory problems.

The Ministry of Justice reiterated that cyanide is classified as a type-3 hazardous substance under the 1992 Hazardous Substance Act and its amendments. Unauthorized production, import, export, or possession of type-3 hazardous substances is illegal and punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of up to 200,000 baht, or both.

With this warning, the government aims to prevent misuse of the deadly substance and safeguard public health. Authorities urge citizens to report any suspicious activities related to cyanide to appropriate officials, ensuring community safety and compliance with the law. 

Picture courtesy: National News Bureau of Thailand

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

Cyanide, while used in industry and found in small amounts in everyday items like certain fruits and grains, is highly toxic and can severely impact the central nervous system, liver, kidneys, and heart.

AKA kill you.

• Agree 2

A post breaking forum rules has been removed.

Reminder rule 17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our  forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article, then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would never come into my  ind to buy, get or google where or how to get cyanide.... What is in peoples mind to get these dangerous poisons?? And why is it free available??? Much more dangerous than vaping or alcohol on a Buddhist day

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

What happened to the "Am Cyanide" case?

She was charged with premeditated murder of 13 people plus other charges

She was in gaol (had a miscarriage there) but that was pre-trial. Not allowed bail.

One can only assume that she was found guilty. The papers would have mentioned if she was released.

The government issued the same warning as mentioned above back then but obviously nothing has changed.

Back in the day when the fur trade was alive and kicking, cyanide was one way of 'trapping' oppossums in NZ. 

It was in a paste form and usually had a flour mixed with aniseed lure sprinkled on top. 

Very effective.  Once the possum got a whiff of the cyanide, all over red rover.  They would get no more than 10 feet and be dead. 

My friends dad use to have a block of bush that he use to spend a few months in each year.  He helped his dad make up the paste but I'm sure he got a bit of poisoning himself. 

We were waiting for the school bus and he complained of a real strong headache.  At one stage he sneezed and this really long blood clot came out of his nose. A few days later he was ok.  Lucky lad. 

42 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Back in the day when the fur trade was alive and kicking, cyanide was one way of 'trapping' oppossums in NZ. 

It was in a paste form and usually had a flour mixed with aniseed lure sprinkled on top. 

Very effective.  Once the possum got a whiff of the cyanide, all over red rover.  They would get no more than 10 feet and be dead. 

My friends dad use to have a block of bush that he use to spend a few months in each year.  He helped his dad make up the paste but I'm sure he got a bit of poisoning himself. 

We were waiting for the school bus and he complained of a real strong headache.  At one stage he sneezed and this really long blood clot came out of his nose. A few days later he was ok.  Lucky lad. 

Interesting. Cyanide seems to be very versatile. I always thought it must be swallowed. But thinking of it, the Nazis applied it by inhalation.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Kanika informed that cyanide exposure can occur through ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption.

If somebody wants to poison me with cyanide-laced tea, I wouldn't even be safe if I prepared the tea by myself?

I should use tea bags I bought myself at BigC? The ones with the label "no cyanide added"?

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Interesting. Cyanide seems to be very versatile. I always thought it must be swallowed. But thinking of it, the Nazis applied it by inhalation.

If somebody wants to poison me with cyanide-laced tea, I wouldn't even be safe if I prepared the tea by myself?

I should use tea bags I bought myself at BigC? The ones with the label "no cyanide added"?

Yes the Nazis used Zyklon B which has hydrogen cyanide as an ingredient.  Also used in pest control. Nasty stuff

Cyanide has a slight almond smell.  I used to smell it in my neighbour's shed as he made up a cyanide paste to kill possums. 

I just learned from wikipedia that potassium cyanide is just some kind of salt:

Screenshot_20240719-113129_Brave.jpg

This is the deadly dose, according to wikipedia.

Much bigger and more noticeable than I would have thought from the media reports

Edited by Lorry

Apricot kernels and the seeds of apples and pears contain a naturally occurring toxin (amygdalin). When eaten, this toxin can react with stomach enzymes and release a poison (cyanide) in the gut.

This can cause stomach ache, illness, and can be fatal, especially for children. Apricot kernels, in particular, should not be eaten.

Apricot kernels are safe to eat in processed products, like almond biscuits. The baking process reduces the level of the toxin.

You should avoid eating seeds from apples and pears, which also have the toxin. Accidentally eating the occasional seed is not generally a problem.

14 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Apricot kernels and the seeds of apples and pears contain a naturally occurring toxin (amygdalin). When eaten, this toxin can react with stomach enzymes and release a poison (cyanide) in the gut.

This can cause stomach ache, illness, and can be fatal, especially for children. Apricot kernels, in particular, should not be eaten.

Apricot kernels are safe to eat in processed products, like almond biscuits. The baking process reduces the level of the toxin.

You should avoid eating seeds from apples and pears, which also have the toxin. Accidentally eating the occasional seed is not generally a problem.

Thx

Very interesting

My dad always ate the seeds from apples or pears,  he told us kids they are healthy. 

Maybe this was the reason for his early death at only 91