Anybody running Windows 11?

I need to buy a new laptop at the moment I am using Windows 10. Now most new laptops have Windows 11. Is there a big different in operation? I am not a computer geek so Windows 11 will be new for me so what is the main different?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I also say 'When you go Mac, you never go back'

I was a diehard Windows guy until I bought a Macbook Air years ago.

Never had to search for a driver again, they boot in seconds, and they last!

I always found my Windows laptops after a couple of years slowed to a crawl, and basically became worthless. It jut doesn't seem to happen with Macs.

Much more expensive, but I bet my cost per minute of Mac screentime beats the Window machine hands over it's lifetime.

Not trying 'convert' you but do some comparisons before you jump

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

W11 is only a secondary use to Ubuntu as it was bundled with the laptop. If you do not mind it wanting to know what you had for breakfast it is not a difficult switch from W10. The never ending upgrades are just as bad.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

W11 is only a secondary use to Ubuntu as it was bundled with the laptop. If you do not mind it wanting to know what you had for breakfast it is not a difficult switch from W10. The never ending upgrades are just as bad.

I set mine to update, not upgrade, automatically when needed. No worries.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I don't run W11 because, like the OP, I'm not a 'computer geek' and I'm afraid of the problems I may incur.

You do not need to be a geek, or the OP. W11 installs over w10 effortlessly, and then you are using the latest, not something 8 years old.

• Agree 2

I bought this Acer laptop in Tukcom in 2022. It was running W10 with a free upgrade to W11 available. The shop offered to activate the upgrade and I accepted.

When I got home (to Jomtien) everything froze. I couldn't do anything with it so I took it back to the shop. The guy couldn't understand what had gone wrong, suggesting there may have been a bug in the upgrade. The only "fix" he was able to offer was to revert it to W10. It took him the best part of a whole day but I reluctantly accepted the deal.

It was now OK on W10 but, on my return to the UK I kept getting upgrade invitations whenever I logged on. after a while, I bit the bullet and actioned the upgrade. Amazingly, everything went smoothly and I have been operating my laptop on W11 (without issues) ever since.

Personally, I didn't notice any big differences between W10 and W11 --- but then, I am not a pc geek.

Good luck --- or as we say here, choc dee.

1 minute ago, 5davidhen1 said:

The only "fix" he was able to offer was to revert it to W10. It took him the best part of a whole day but I reluctantly accepted the deal.

There is the facility in W11, and 10, to revert to the previous operating system, takes minutes.

A full clean install of W11 takes about 30 minutes. Your 2022 laptop should be compatible with W11, freely downloaded from Microsoft onto a USB stick, register with you MS Account. Done.

I bought a new computer about a year ago with SSD and Win 11 preinstalled and I'm very pleased with my purchase. The new computer even set itself up for me by transferring all my data (not personal files) from the old Win 10 computer. All it needed was my email address and my password, plus a couple of security checks. 

I had a bit of a problem at first in that it kept dropping off-line when I connected to the internet via a LAN connector and I had to resort to using Wi-Fi instead, but that problem has been resolved now and it's working just fine.

I've been loyal to the Windows brand since the early days back in the '80's and have no hesitation in endorsing this latest iteration.

• Thumbs Up 1

No reason to use Win 11, true , Win 10 was enough for me

the only reason I wanted Win 11 is that in october next year, Microsoft stops to update Win 10 and I was sorry to have to change my "uncompatible " very good PC for a new one

then I read that many people can use Win11 with an " uncompatible " PC, so I thought : " I shall have a try , may it works for me, too " and it works very well , I can use my PC many years more ( may be with Win 12 , why not ?) 

• Thumbs Up 1

The only problem with W 11 that I did not like was no drivers for some older peripherals.

eg a Canon printer that I had for years (2004?) Solid as a rock and it even had a fax machine/copy facility.

No driver in W 11 so not recognised.

I also prefer the old version of Windows Explorer - more flexible for copying or moving files and easier to use.

I have three PC's with W 11, staff use the other two and no complaints.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've been loyal to the Windows brand since the early days back in the '80's and have no hesitation in endorsing this latest iteration.

image.png.c94a0d19d9e5e31de09cb5feaafcbac0.png

No improvement on W 10, in fact, its annoying. The MS geeks move stuff around, so that what was simple and obvious before no longer is. This seems to be the case with all MS update versions. stick with 10 if you can 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I also say 'When you go Mac, you never go back'

That reminds me of that rich guy who always bought the newest ThinkPad with Windows.

And then he attended some Apple presentation, and he bought the best Apple. And he told me how wonderful it is.

A few months later he bought again the newest ThinkPad with Windows and never used the Apple again.

Summary: Some people like Apple, others like Windows. They are different.

I worked on an Apple a couple of times, and I never had the urge to change from Windows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The only problem with W 11 that I did not like was no drivers for some older peripherals.

eg a Canon printer that I had for years (2004?) Solid as a rock and it even had a fax machine/copy facility.

No driver in W 11 so not recognised.

I also prefer the old version of Windows Explorer - more flexible for copying or moving files and easier to use.

I have three PC's with W 11, staff use the other two and no complaints.

Erm... that doesn't mean that it won't work. Where there is a will, there is a way. If it worked with Windows 10, it will work with Windows 11.

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I bought a new computer about a year ago with SSD and Win 11 preinstalled and I'm very pleased with my purchase. The new computer even set itself up for me by transferring all my data (not personal files) from the old Win 10 computer. All it needed was my email address and my password, plus a couple of security checks. 

I had a bit of a problem at first in that it kept dropping off-line when I connected to the internet via a LAN connector and I had to resort to using Wi-Fi instead, but that problem has been resolved now and it's working just fine.

Well, the new laptop I am buying has Windows 11 installed and I am having 10 on the old one I just wonder if it is any different to operate?

15 hours ago, novacova said:

I bought a new pc workstation a few months ago that had windows 11, ran for about an hour and determined that the OS is one big spyware/malware/virus pos. Installed w10 and debloated the os, runs great under my full control, automatic upgrades completely disabled.

Have you disabled the Defender updates?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

Good god, no! Why would buy windows?

Because some programs only operate on windows os and inefficiently on a vm machine.

• Agree 2