International Driving Permit required?

Thailand and Germany are both signatories to the Vienna Convention, you can use your German Licence here for the month you are here.

A policeman might disagree, but his superiors will educate him if push comes to shove and any insurance held here is valid, providing you haven't already been here some time before hiring.

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I used my U.K. Licence to get insurance, I wasn’t asked for Thai Licence or an International one albeit the broker did say if I got stopped by the Police they might ask questions.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, sheldoncollier said:

Hello all,

I'm in Thailand for a month with a German driver's license. Can I drive here using this, or do I need an international driving permit? The information online is conflicting.

Thanks in advance.

According to my home country's (Denmark) embassy in Bangkok you cannot. However, an international drivers permit is only a translation of a driving license, and the EU license has clear text in Latin letters and symbols for permitted vehicle. Worst case is if anything happens and insurance avoids cover due to incorrect driver's license.

Danish Bangkok-embassy text:
Should you drive a car or motorbike in Thailand? Then you must have either a Thai or international driver's license. Thailand only recognizes international driving licenses issued in accordance with the Geneva Convention 1949. Therefore, check that you have the right driving license before you hit the roads.

• Like 1

First of all the Embassy websites are often wrong as the UK one says you do need an IDP. Technically you do not need an International Driving Permit if your home country licence has a photo and is in English. However, in reality, you will need one as the police use it as an excuse to fine you and insurance companies use it as an excuse not to pay your claim.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I used my U.K. Licence to get insurance, I wasn’t asked for Thai Licence or an International one albeit the broker did say if I got stopped by the Police they might ask questions.

We inquired with Roojai & they wouldn't insure me unless I had a Thai lic. or IDP.

If you want to have a clear conscience you could get a certified translation into Thai of your German driving license. It should cost you around 1000 Baht.

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ve been riding cycles since 87 and my US license says MC...moto and car

If your US license(s) are still valid, DLT will issue you car and motorcycle licenses good for 2 years.  Get a medical certificate (100-200฿) , copies of passport ID page, last extension stamp and a certificate of residence from Thai Imm.  It takes 1-2 hours only.  At renewal with the same documentation you'll get 5 year licenses.  I think the DLT will charge you 750 ฿ for both licenses when issued and renewed.

I was getting an International drivers PERMIT every time I came to Thailand. Police never asked for it. Just make sure you have your drivers license and baht on you. And if your living in the country get a Thai drivers license

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

According to my home country's (Denmark) embassy in Bangkok you cannot. However, an international drivers permit is only a translation of a driving license, and the EU license has clear text in Latin letters and symbols for permitted vehicle. Worst case is if anything happens and insurance avoids cover due to incorrect driver's license.

Danish Bangkok-embassy text:
Should you drive a car or motorbike in Thailand? Then you must have either a Thai or international driver's license. Thailand only recognizes international driving licenses issued in accordance with the Geneva Convention 1949. Therefore, check that you have the right driving license before you hit the roads.

How silly of that Embassy not knowing that there is no such thing as an International Driving Licence. IDP = yes.

The first 6 month I was in Thailand, I had a Danish driving licens, and a international driving licens ( Sins that I have had a Thai licens)
I did get stopped a few times while on the Danish licens, at check points, and always showed my Danish licens.
Was newer asked for the international licens.

I did get one from the American Automobile Association in the USA before my 1st trip in 2009. Never asked for it as my state Driver's License showing validity dates and photo was accepted. Upon retiring in Chiang Mai in 2011, after getting settled in, I applied for my Thai Driver's Licenses (car and motorbike) as I planned to stay.

1 minute ago, Jorgendk said:

The first 6 month I was in Thailand, I had a Danish driving licens, and a international driving licens ( Sins that I have had a Thai licens)
I did get stopped a few times while on the Danish licens, at check points, and always showed my Danish licens.
Was newer asked for the international licens.

I managed to rent a car through Avis with my passport only At Don Muang. It doesnt mean this is how the rules are. 

if you get stopped in more tourist areas, they will fine you for not having a legal IDP, and also some other rural places. When it comes to insurance? I heard the where new rules saying you do not need IDP, but 

The Royal Embassy UK 

If you would like to drive, either vehicle or motorcycle, while visiting Thailand, you are required by law to hold an international driving license. When asked for, you need to show your international driving license along with your passport and national driving license.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84710-driving-in-thailand?page=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000734d&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072e2

Us Embassy Bangkok Thailand

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License.

On 7/23/2024 at 4:57 PM, sheldoncollier said:

Hello all,

I'm in Thailand for a month with a German driver's license. Can I drive here using this, or do I need an international driving permit? The information online is conflicting.

Thanks in advance.

Just show that you can drive at 250 km per hour and blast any fool that is in your way for getting a Thai drivers license.

Good luck

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How silly of that Embassy not knowing that there is no such thing as an International Driving Licence. IDP = yes.

Unfortunately, that is what it's called in Danish language – "internationalt kørekort" = "international driving license" when translated – so the embassy writes it totally correct...:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Depends on where you drive, 15 years on Koh Samui never asked for licence, here in Pattaya always, have a Thai driving license but tourist need an IDP+driving license 

The way I understood  it was  If your licence is in English and has a photograph  then you don't technically need an IDP ,which is understandable really, as there is no Thai translation in it, it serves no purpose here other than to translate licences in other language into English   however if the cop that asks you for it  has a different interpretation of the law then problems will inevitably ensue. 

There is absolutely no disadvantage to having one, they are easy to obtain, at least they are  in the UK. just a visit to the post office ,(now generally found hiding in WH Smiths)  just over £5 a time , but now they last for 3 years ! it used to be only 1  (yet another advantage of brexit apparently)

Its worth bearing in mind that  IDPs and Foreign Licences only actually permit one to drive for a certain period of time, I think in Thailand its 90 days, I have never heard of police checking passports for entry dates, but in the case of an accident i guess an insurance company might pick up on this. For most tourists , and those on ME visas it wouldn't be an issue

I am also pretty sure that one would need to show an IDP along with ones foreign licence if applying for a Thai licence so that's  another thing to bear in mind along with possible issues with rental companies  

Personally my advice would be to get one , It may come in very handy and could save you some hassle