I am seriously thinking about not renewing my marriage extension this year.

On 8/10/2024 at 2:32 PM, bob smith said:

what with all the visa overhauls, the porous borders,

unlimited 2 month T visas etc - why should I jump through any hoops, much less have a face to face with a sourpuss IO?

If anything it's an excuse to go to Laos/Cambodia/Nam/Bali/Phils/wherever for a few dirty days away from the Mrs.

lord knows I could do with a bit of that right now!!

bob.

You know how things words here!  It took lots of work to get the marriage sure I know the tons of useless repeats to go through each year but personally I would wait a year or two!

• Agree 2

On 8/10/2024 at 3:45 PM, scubascuba3 said:

switch to retirement instead, less hassle 

When my marriage visa was up in July we did exactly that so I'm on a retirement Visa now... Again.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/11/2024 at 3:51 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

If you are over 50, get a retirement visa. 

No hassle, just need the 800k baht. 

I use an agent, I get charged a little bit of money, they do it all for me. 

If you use an agent you don’t need the 800k or medical certificate Thaivisacentre.com

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

If you use an agent you don’t need the 800k or medical certificate Thaivisacentre.com

I choose to use an agent, it's a very small fee for me to stay in my comfort zone. 

There's only a couple of things in this world I avoid, one is the immigration office. 

Too many weirdo foreigners there for me. 

Do you go there often Mr Crazykopite? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 8/10/2024 at 7:08 PM, bob smith said:

So am I.

I love a bit of playing away.

bob.

with yourself - and your missus is happy about it.

unlimited 2 month T visas etc - why should I jump through any hoops, much less have a face to face with a sourpuss IO?

If anything it's an excuse to go to Laos/Cambodia/Nam/Bali/Phils/wherever for a few dirty days away from the Mrs.

bob.

People tell me the retirement visa is a better choice - but it needs an extra 400,000k.

• Agree 1

On 8/10/2024 at 3:45 PM, scubascuba3 said:

switch to retirement instead, less hassle 

Much cheaper with the agents too.

For Bob with no money, maybe 15,000THB instead of 40,000THB for the marriage?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

I should know this... but a silly thought popped into my head - can a monk-blessed 'marriage' qualify for a marriage visa?  or do we assume you went ting tong and got it registered Bob?

No. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 months at the time + 1 month e-extension works for me right now, as long they wouldn't complain about it. Certainly not waiting to do this silly stuff with taking pictures of us all over the house, documents etc etc etc. I'd rather just get the 3 months single entry non-o in that case, followed by a 60 on arrival with extension and repeat.

It's not a punishment to be allowed and leave for a few days, 4 times a year. And it's kind of easy to plan in advance as well, making the flights etc costing me peanuts too. I'm already looking forward to my next Vietnam trip and get some BBQ + beers again on the street. Tickets were 1.2K one way.

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Like 2

Bob , why not get a retirement visa ,takes me around 1.5 hours a year,

to do it, plus it's very easy to do yourself , maybe it's the 800,000 Baht,

in the bank that might put you off , although you do keep telling us you're

extremely wealthy .....

regards worgeordie

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I switched to the retirement visa. Got sick of being asked to prove I was married every year. It was too much hassle and paperwork. I don't like the immigration people, and prefer to avoid their ridiculousness. The retirement visa is so simple. 

I agree entirely Mike, but can you trust Thai banks with 800.000 Baht?

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

People tell me the retirement visa is a better choice - but it needs an extra 400,000k.

Read crazykopites post.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BakedPanda said:

2 months at the time + 1 month e-extension works for me right now, as long they wouldn't complain about it. Certainly not waiting to do this silly stuff with taking pictures of us all over the house, documents etc etc etc. I'd rather just get the 3 months single entry non-o in that case, followed by a 60 on arrival with extension and repeat.

It's not a punishment to be allowed and leave for a few days, 4 times a year. And it's kind of easy to plan in advance as well, making the flights etc costing me peanuts too. I'm already looking forward to my next Vietnam trip and get some BBQ + beers again on the street. Tickets were 1.2K one way.

well said panda.

I love a dirty few days away from the mrs..

vietnam, cambodia, laos all good for that.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I agree entirely Mike, but can you trust Thai banks with 800.000 Baht?

that's the problem.

I keep all my cash in a gym bag in my safe, save for the obligatory 400K that stays in the bank all year round.

I can afford to lose that if the banks do eventually go bust.

bob.

Edited by bob smith

On 8/10/2024 at 9:31 AM, bob smith said:

I will still be married, regardless of whether or not I maintain my marriage visa.

bob.

On 8/10/2024 at 8:32 AM, bob smith said:

bob.

Just let us all know when you decide to go away for your dirty weekend away from your missus Bob.

Were all looking forward to that dirty weekend you go away from your missus. 

As the lords book says ‘though shall reap what though sews’

it can work both ways, ahem.

👍🤠

bob.

Yawn,but you know and we know that you won't change fuuck all.

• Agree 1

On 8/10/2024 at 3:11 PM, CharlieH said:

However, often "don't fix what ain't broke" can apply.

Disagree, these new visas can be be real life improvement. I dumped by marriage extension in October 2022 for an LTR and Yahweh I'm Glad.. So far.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I switched to the retirement visa. Got sick of being asked to prove I was married every year. It was too much hassle and paperwork. I don't like the immigration people, and prefer to avoid their ridiculousness. The retirement visa is so simple. 

You got sick of having to prove you were eligible for the type of extension you were applying for?

Both retirement and marriage extensions require almost exactly the same amount of interaction with immigration, so you have avoided what?

• Confused 1

bob.

bob

this time i can't disagree with you

joe.

52 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

You got sick of having to prove you were eligible for the type of extension you were applying for?

Both retirement and marriage extensions require almost exactly the same amount of interaction with immigration, so you have avoided what?

There are major differences though: the Marriage extension takes one month and two visits, needs to run to amphur for Kor ror 2, more copies of everything. The photos in the bedroom can also be seen as intrusive by more some. So all in all definitely more hassle. But I was glad I went down that route as I extended a non OA and marriage spared me the HI burden during the years leading to the LTR.

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Utterly untrue. The documentation and paperwork for a marriage visa is infinitely greater than for a retirement visa. I have gotten both. And many others would agree with this. 

• Agree 2

On 8/10/2024 at 3:48 PM, BritManToo said:

Me too,

I'm thinking DTV, 5 years with almost no paperwork for 10kbht.

Does anyone know of a good 60+ Seniors Muay Thai School that has an no body contact training technique, air conditioned and post soapy massage towel service?… :cowboy:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Bob , why not get a retirement visa ,takes me around 1.5 hours a year,

to do it, plus it's very easy to do yourself , maybe it's the 800,000 Baht,

in the bank that might put you off , although you do keep telling us you're

extremely wealthy .....

regards worgeordie

Bob tells us lots of things, now whether true or not is another story, but who really cares - other than Bob. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Preposterous....

Then ask yourself why your money was covered for 5000000 million baht, in the Thai banks and is now covered for only 1000000Million Baht.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BKKKevin said:

Does anyone know of a good 60+ Seniors Muay Thai School that has an no body contact training technique, air conditioned and post soapy massage towel service?… :cowboy:

OOPS

Edited by jerrymahoney

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Utterly untrue. The documentation and paperwork for a marriage visa is infinitely greater than for a retirement visa. I have gotten both. And many others would agree with this. 

He was talking about interaction with immigration, not the amount of paperwork. I did not mention paperwork, only you did.