Danish Expat Risks Prison in Thailand Over Lost Car Incident

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Ekstrabladet

Søren Nyholm Larsen, a 65-year-old Danish man living in Thailand, faces the possibility of spending a year in one of the country's infamous prisons due to an unfortunate series of events beginning in October 2023. It all started with a visit to the PhyaThai hospital in Sriracha for routine medical check-ups related to his heart condition and diabetes. 

After his appointment, Søren realised he had forgotten where he parked his car. Despite searching the area thoroughly the next day with the help of a tuk-tuk driver, he failed to locate it and reported the situation to the local police for assistance.

Complicating matters, Søren informed his insurance company, suspecting the car might have been stolen. This action would later be twisted against him. Upon revisiting the police with three officers, they strangely directed him far from the suspected parking area, eventually growing agitated and accusing him of lying. Consequently, they charged him with perjury and coercively made him sign documents he scarcely understood.

Miraculously, Søren found his car the following day with the assistance of a motorcycle taxi. However, instead of resolving his predicament, this fortunate discovery compounded his woes. The police continued to hound him, even accusing him of planning insurance fraud worth one million baht (about £22,000).

image.jpeg

Søren Nyholm Larsen with his wife. Private photo via Ekstrabladet

Despite clear evidence from the insurance company, Roojai Group, confirming the claim's cancellation after the car was found, the accusations persisted. Søren's initial court proceedings did not favour him. His unsatisfactory legal representation and language barriers worsened his predicament, leading to a conviction and the looming threat of prison.

According to Ekstra Bladet's documents, Søren's appeal, spearheaded by a new lawyer from Champ Lawfirm, is currently in process. Until a decision is reached, Søren remains out of prison but under significant stress, facing an uncertain future in the Thai legal system, reported Ekstrabladet

The Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms its involvement but remains tight-lipped due to the private nature of the case. Meanwhile, Søren's ordeal underscores the severe consequences of simple mistakes and cultural misunderstandings in foreign lands.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-24

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 6
  • Sad 26
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does something stink?  He did look for it 3 times; twice by himself and once with the cops and could not find it.

Then, after he is accused of lying the next time he looks he finds it?  Sorry, I forget where I parked also but after looking one or two times I usually find it.  And, before I reported it stolen to my insurance I would have contacted the police you would think he would know the insurance would need a report.  Or, maybe they towed it for some reason or report.  

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 8
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, watchcat said:

They don't put everybody in jail, Thaksin is a good example.

indeed, during his reign as prime minister -- back in the day, not this time around -- summary executions were the way forward. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

There are lot attendants in the parking areas for Phaya Thai Hospital in Sri Racha. Been there many times. Usually see 2-3 attendants and the "conveyance trolleys" that circle the parking areas to pick-up/drop-off passengers.

I do not bother with them electric conveyance thingo's.

I roll in and saying Iam parking, if the onsite parking is full they will valet park for you.