Dashcam Recommendations?

It seems to be a necessity these days, with people cutting people off, running red lights, etc. in Thailand.

I tried 2 of them (cheapies) one for Lazada for about 400 baht and another one from a shop for about 800 baht.

Neither of them are good quality clear video (especially at night), so I'm looking for recommendations from people who have a good dashcam system installed.

Details on where to obtain them, and also have them fitted will also be appreciated!

I'm in Pattaya, but can travel to Bangkok if necessary.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Why travel, online shopping is the best way to buy stuff now if you've reviewed online. I ordered a new laser printer yesterday and it will be delivered tomorrow. My DDPai Pebble (bought online) was very good for five or six years until the battery stopped holding charge. I fitted it easily, but it was only front facing, not rear. I'm looking for a new one and will follow for suggestions, but will review models online too before buying.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is a good one really worth it? when a bike crashed into us and we had it on the cam neither the police or the insurance were interested in the footage. Cops made their own mind up (out fault) and insurance agreed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yes …carcamkorea are very good. Bought the BlackVue dual channel from them  in 2019 and haven’t had any problems with it. 

Earlier this year for another car I bought a FineVu also from them …it’s a little bit cheaper but does tell you about speed cameras, and it is also front and rear.

Whatever you buy I would get one that records your speed as all car cams in playback mode make it look like you are driving quite fast.

Edited by JAS21
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have had several over the years and the best seem to be DDPai models they use capacitors which seem to handle the heat better than L-ion batteries. The heat seems to be the big killer the heat behind a windscreen is rather extreme.

• Thanks 2

Blackvue and Thinkware both have excellent cameras, not cheap but great video quality and lots of features, one being able to dowload files to your phone instead of having to take out the card. Depending on the location of the card and where camera is mounted, could be a pain.

DDPai Z50, expensive a bit but overall excellent. Back camera takes some work to install so it was bought from a shop in Bangkok that offered installation as well.

Came handy to record a white Mazda 2 rear-ending the car while its driver as playing with the phone...

Having had dash-cams in my last 5 cars...  I can recommend Xiaomi. 

I had BlackVue dashcams which at the time IMO had the best options, IMO, Xiaomi are now comparable to the top dash-cams at a better price point. 

I currently have the Xiaomi 70mai Pro (which is about 5 years old now) and works well (I hope, I've had no reason to download the footage for a while).

Its important to have a Dash-Cam that records both forward and rear facing for obvious reasons.

All Dash-Cams I've installed myself and have been an easy install.

Simply - running the 12v plug supply through the upholstery and the rear-cam also through / tucked under the upholstery - very easy to do yourself - the trickiest part is running the rear dash-cam through the 'connecting gaskets on an SUV' (so that the cam sticks in the rear window without hanging wires).

Another interesting Cam is the Xiaomi 70mai Dash Cam Omni - this is a 360 degree camera - but is somewhat misleading...  as it 'turns the cam' to capture the footage on impact (i.e. just after an impact, so it wont capture the actual impact, but will still capture proof).

I think we are actually not far off getting a front positioned and rear positioned 180+ cam - that would give us a combined 360 degree coverage. 

Questions are always asked of Forward and Rear facing dash cams - what happens if someone hits me from the side ?...    Whatifery comes into this thinking a lot, at the moment I'm not sure every eventuality can be covered. 

Advice:  (IMO of course)

This is probably once of the best you can get:

70mai A810 Dash Cam 4K Built-In GPS Full HD WDR 70 Mai Car Camera wifi กล้องติดรถยนต์ ควบคุมผ่าน APP รับประกันศูนย์ไทย 3ปี

This is probably the most reasonably priced for quality you can get:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/70mai-a500s-pro-plus-dash-cam-1944p-rc11-built-in-gps-27k-full-hd-wdr-carcam-100-i5171451718-s21915854753.html?

Warning: particularly with Xiaomi dash cam sales (on Lazada and shopee) - they sell both Forward facing only and Forward+Rear facing cam packages... 

So, don't think you are getting a great deal, then find out you only receive the front cam. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

The very cheap ones are, as you experienced, not very good.

I have for several years used a 70mai dashcam I bought online from Lazada or Shopee...

image.png.56503ce9613b945054be867587d0e0b5.png

Present online prices are between little more than 2,000 baht and up to almost 4,000 baht.

As per above: Warning: 

(on Lazada and shopee) - two separate pacakges are sold.

1) Forward (only)

2) Forward + Rear 

(and others which included an SD card / size etc)

So... be careful not to think you are getting a great deal, then find out you only receive the front cam - Double check exactly what the order is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Whatever you buy, be sure to set the audio to mute, so your missus can't listen to the banter between you and your mates while driving to golf.

Don't ask me how I know.:coffee1:

But, remember to set it to record when back in the car with the missus... 

...  So that you can replay where she said....

.... "yadda-yadda-yadda happened", instead of...

.... "badda-Badda-Badda happened".... 

and when you get confused and start the age old debate of "you said"..... no I didn't"... you can play back the video prove yourself right, royaly-pish her off ensuring you wont get dinner, then you can go out with your mates to the pub !!!... 

-----------

Also, have one with an SD card - Its easier to discard the SD card on which the recording of you doing '220kmh on the expressway before wiping out'...  !!

I recently had an accident (not driving or riding) while going way too fast...  (no in a car or on a motorcycle)....... Had the insurance been able to get hold of the footage (i.e. GoPro or similar), I'm sure they'd have cancelled the payout for my treatment and surgery... 

The same could happen with a car-cam...   of course the other car driver may have their recording, but it won't record you doing 55 in a 50, or 90 in an 80 kmh zone etc...  and thus placing you at blame etc... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get one that records and saves data when the car is parked somewhere. Will help identify any clown that hits the car and does a runner thinking they have got away with the damage.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/28/2024 at 9:17 AM, andygrr said:

I have had several over the years and the best seem to be DDPai models they use capacitors which seem to handle the heat better than L-ion batteries. The heat seems to be the big killer the heat behind a windscreen is rather extreme.

Hi andygrr,

This was the problem with my BlackVue DR650  in which the camera innards just collapsed with the heat.

It was also why I bought a battery pack with a dtac annual SIM card which is now installed under the passenger seat.

Works well so far, but I now receive about 400 messages a DAY about activity both in parked mode and driving which is sensitive to shutting the car doors and hatchback when ‘her that matters’ is out shopping… Does anyone out there know how to limit this reported activity? It’s driving me crazy (excuse the pun) but I can find nothing in the manual which addresses this.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, mikecha said:

i have one from toyota .perfect fit back and front coverage excellent day night has a 64 g data card also included 

That's exactly what I did, and they fitted it, at least I have reliable Toyota recommended and guaranteed cameras.

You get what you pay for.

On 8/28/2024 at 5:49 AM, Speedhump said:

Why travel, online shopping is the best way to buy stuff now if you've reviewed online. I ordered a new laser printer yesterday and it will be delivered tomorrow. My DDPai Pebble (bought online) was very good for five or six years until the battery stopped holding charge. I fitted it easily, but it was only front facing, not rear. I'm looking for a new one and will follow for suggestions, but will review models online too before buying.

Do you pay insurance for any faults caused by transport for your electrical items?

I was considering buying a phone on line and the company was asking for 270 baht for insurance against damage in transit.

I thought that was unfair to ask for money in transit as I am paying for a article in working conditions when delivered .

What do you think? 

Yeah I’ve done the same buying from markets etc. quality poor and they didn’t last long. Ford had its recommendations but a few times more expensive. I bit the bullet and had them install it. Never had any issues going on 4 years now. One of those things where you’re better of going with market leaders and ask the dealership for recommendations. I get 10% discount on insurance too. So it’s paid itself off already. 

On 8/29/2024 at 6:45 PM, itsari said:

Do you pay insurance for any faults caused by transport for your electrical items?

I was considering buying a phone on line and the company was asking for 270 baht for insurance against damage in transit.

I thought that was unfair to ask for money in transit as I am paying for a article in working conditions when delivered .

What do you think? 

In my opinion only. if the seller is arranging transport the goods are not yours until delivered in good order, even if the seller is asking you to pay for the transport. The transporter is a legal custodian arranged by the seller. This is the legal situation in many countries but I don't know about in Thailand. If the seller's terms deny responsibility during purchasing I'd look for another seller.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

In my opinion only. if the seller is arranging transport the goods are not yours until delivered in good order, even if the seller is asking you to pay for the transport. The transporter is a legal custodian arranged by the seller. This is the legal situation in many countries but I don't know about in Thailand. If the seller's terms deny responsibility during purchasing I'd look for another seller.

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

I agree , thank you for your reply

On 8/28/2024 at 4:40 PM, khunPer said:

The very cheap ones are, as you experienced, not very good.

I have for several years used a 70mai dashcam I bought online from Lazada or Shopee...

image.png.56503ce9613b945054be867587d0e0b5.png

Present online prices are between little more than 2,000 baht and up to almost 4,000 baht.

I installed the 70mai 4K A800S with the rear camera also. Nice clear picture. You can view the many motorbikes coming up from the back of you and then cut directly in front of you slamming on your brakes to avoid them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1