Thailand’s new anti-smoking rule burns Thai vendors’ profits

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A total ban is not really working with drugs and e cigarettes.

Why do you think it will work with smoking?

A ban is totally out of the question, as that would be a deep crisis for the coffers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

In canada now each individual cigarette has a warning on it.Not only the package.

Who can afford to smoke though. A pack of premium smokes is now 650b.

Buddha forbid that one likes a cigar in this country.

Easily 2,000 thb per stick for a nice one.

3 hours ago, stoner said:

In canada now each individual cigarette has a warning on it.Not only the package.

Is this for real? "premium smokes" means what?

Last time (years ago) I went to Canada I took 2 cartons of Thai cigarettes. Only allowed 1 carton duty free.. I answered truthfully on the declaration and headed to Customs. I told the lady officer that I had 2 cartons, She asked if that was all. I said yes. Her reply was  "No problem. Have a nice day"  😘

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

Double that and you'll get into the area of Aussie cigarette prices. Most expensive in the world as are Aussie passports.

5 hours ago, NE1 said:

Why would you ban smoking , why not ban alcohol ?

I need alcohol on the medical wipes that I use to clean wounds.

My friend need sit to clean his 3D printer. It does lots of good things.

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Double that and you'll get into the area of Aussie cigarette prices. Most expensive in the world as are Aussie passports.

And the new age law they are passing too.

6 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Not strong enough.  A total ban would be appropriate, and it is time for that to happen.

We know that does not work. Even high taxes are not effective. it just creates a profitable opportunity for criminals.

What we do know is that education  works. More young people today never start smoking or vaping than in previous years because they have been educated on the addiction.

Fair tax also works. The government could easily add another 20-50 baht to the cost of tobacco. I think a pack is less than 150 baht.  Ridiculously cheap compared to alcohol tax approach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

I've got a great idea.  Just ban tobacco and shut down the tobacco industry.  Problem solved.

If they did that I wouldn't be pulling in the 8-10% dividend yields I currently get from my tobacco company holdings.....

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, stoner said:

In Montenegro last week. Around 3 euro or 110 baht a pack at supermarkets, no idea if premium though. Half the people at the beach were happily smoking. 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Vendors who fail to comply with this new rule are risking more than just a slap on the wrist. With a maximum penalty of 5,000 baht, ignoring the regulation could prove costly. To avoid this, sellers can easily obtain the necessary materials from Excise Department offices across the country or by downloading them from the DDC’s website.

Easily available so it will only hurt the ones that ignore it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, bobbin said:

Is this for real? "premium smokes" means what?

Last time (years ago) I went to Canada I took 2 cartons of Thai cigarettes. Only allowed 1 carton duty free.. I answered truthfully on the declaration and headed to Customs. I told the lady officer that I had 2 cartons, She asked if that was all. I said yes. Her reply was  "No problem. Have a nice day"  😘

yes for real. premium smokes are from the big companies - players. du maurier. benson hedges. etc. 

then you have a lesser value brands. canadian classic for example. 

then you have native reserve smokes. which on their own have levels. they go from packaged cartons like the ones you buy in the store but are lesser quality all the way down to a carton of smokes in a plastic bag. 

yum. 

last i heard a pack of smokes in australia was about 40 dollars cad. i have also heard they want to implement a law to ban smoking basically. set an age limit and if you are born before that date ok you can continue smoking. but after that date and it will be considered an actual charge like assault or B& E kind of thing. 

maybe someone can confirm this.

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A total ban is not really working with drugs and e cigarettes.

Why do you think it will work with smoking?

Put some one in charge of enforcement like myself. Also enforcing existing laws like 5 meters from entrences with fines could be incentive 

• Haha 1