Man seeks justice after wife dies from hospital’s inadequate care

man.jpg

In a heartfelt Facebook post, a Thai man expressed his grief after the sudden death of his wife, who succumbed to severe pneumonia. Anuwa Jarong detailed the ordeal at a hospital where his wife was kept waiting for nearly an hour before receiving inadequate care.

Anuwa’s wife, Amina, died on Friday after battling a severe lung infection. She was 35 years old. The incident began on the morning of Thursday, August 22, when Amina, suffering from fever, chest pain, and a severe cough, was taken to the hospital.

Despite her critical condition, she was made to wait nearly an hour at the emergency room. Once admitted, she was given a painkiller injection and then sent home.

Anuwa shared his frustration and confusion over the hospital’s decision to discharge his wife given her severe symptoms. Upon returning home, Amina’s condition worsened.

By early afternoon, she was taken to another hospital, which immediately recognised the severity of her condition and transferred her back to the original hospital. Unfortunately, by the next morning, Amina’s condition had deteriorated to the point where she could no longer be saved.

“Why did they let her go back home when she was so sick? The hospital staff’s negligence caused my wife’s death.”

Justice

He emphasised his determination to seek justice, despite the hospital attempting to negotiate with him while he was waiting to collect his wife’s body.

The 37 year old, Anuwa, described the emotional toll on his family, including their four children. The oldest, 14 years old, urged him to stay strong, while the youngest, just three years old, could not understand why their mother was no longer in her usual place at home. His only son comforted him with a hug and tears.

“The hospital should have admitted her for observation instead of sending her home. Now, my children are without their mother.”

Yala Hospital released a statement addressing the incident and expressing condolences to the family. According to the hospital, Amina was brought in on Thursday morning with symptoms including a cough, chest pain, and hip pain. Initial assessments indicated she was in a stable condition, so she was given a painkiller and advised to rest at home.

The following day, Amina was transferred back to Yala Hospital from another facility with severe pneumonia and respiratory failure. Despite the medical team’s efforts, her condition deteriorated, leading to her death. The hospital released a statement and asserted that they had followed standard medical procedures but acknowledged the need for a thorough investigation into the case.

“We deeply regret the loss and extend our sympathies to the family. We are committed to fully investigating this matter to ensure it does not happen again.”

Amina’s funeral rites were conducted according to her religious customs.

Anuwa remains resolute in his quest for accountability, urging others to share his story to prevent similar tragedies. His post has garnered widespread attention on social media, highlighting concerns about medical care standards and patient safety in hospitals, reported Khaosod.

By Sarishti Arora

Picture courtesy of Khaosod official website

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-27

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 9

48 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

It is a shame they do not name this hospital. People need to know to protect themselves from it happening to them until there is a resolution and the doctor who dismissed her symptoms gets dismissed and license revoked. 

They do name it as Yala Hospital?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The hospital released a statement 

“We are committed to fully investigating this matter to ensure it does not happen again.”

I had similar symptoms five years ago, went to BKK Hospital, first thing they did was a chest x-ray and they discovered pneumonia. One week of intravenous antibiotics at the hospital later, and I was ok to go home with two more weeks of oral antibiotics...

All that Yala Hospital had to do was to take an x-ray, which I believe her symptoms warranted...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

man.jpg

In a heartfelt Facebook post, a Thai man expressed his grief after the sudden death of his wife, who succumbed to severe pneumonia. Anuwa Jarong detailed the ordeal at a hospital where his wife was kept waiting for nearly an hour before receiving inadequate care.

Anuwa’s wife, Amina, died on Friday after battling a severe lung infection. She was 35 years old. The incident began on the morning of Thursday, August 22, when Amina, suffering from fever, chest pain, and a severe cough, was taken to the hospital.

Despite her critical condition, she was made to wait nearly an hour at the emergency room. Once admitted, she was given a painkiller injection and then sent home.

Anuwa shared his frustration and confusion over the hospital’s decision to discharge his wife given her severe symptoms. Upon returning home, Amina’s condition worsened.

By early afternoon, she was taken to another hospital, which immediately recognised the severity of her condition and transferred her back to the original hospital. Unfortunately, by the next morning, Amina’s condition had deteriorated to the point where she could no longer be saved.

“Why did they let her go back home when she was so sick? The hospital staff’s negligence caused my wife’s death.”

Justice

He emphasised his determination to seek justice, despite the hospital attempting to negotiate with him while he was waiting to collect his wife’s body.

The 37 year old, Anuwa, described the emotional toll on his family, including their four children. The oldest, 14 years old, urged him to stay strong, while the youngest, just three years old, could not understand why their mother was no longer in her usual place at home. His only son comforted him with a hug and tears.

“The hospital should have admitted her for observation instead of sending her home. Now, my children are without their mother.”

Yala Hospital released a statement addressing the incident and expressing condolences to the family. According to the hospital, Amina was brought in on Thursday morning with symptoms including a cough, chest pain, and hip pain. Initial assessments indicated she was in a stable condition, so she was given a painkiller and advised to rest at home.

The following day, Amina was transferred back to Yala Hospital from another facility with severe pneumonia and respiratory failure. Despite the medical team’s efforts, her condition deteriorated, leading to her death. The hospital released a statement and asserted that they had followed standard medical procedures but acknowledged the need for a thorough investigation into the case.

“We deeply regret the loss and extend our sympathies to the family. We are committed to fully investigating this matter to ensure it does not happen again.”

Amina’s funeral rites were conducted according to her religious customs.

Anuwa remains resolute in his quest for accountability, urging others to share his story to prevent similar tragedies. His post has garnered widespread attention on social media, highlighting concerns about medical care standards and patient safety in hospitals, reported Khaosod.

By Sarishti Arora

Picture courtesy of Khaosod official website

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-27

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Horror

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

My blood oxygen was at 66%.... within an hour I was put into a coma and plumbing jammed down my throat, I remained that way for 2 weeks.

Obviously happy to see that you are still with us due to the great medical care.  Good to see happier stories on this Forum.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not surprised. I've had an 18 month old in a couple of hospitals due to serious medical complications after he was born and some of the care he's received has been appalling. In one instance following a major surgery he had a drain leaking onto another wound that had just been stitched. I told the nurse immediately upon seeing it and asked her to clean it, her response was 'sorry, cannot. I can only report to the doctor'. The doctor went nuts when they found out and shortly after my son almost died from septicemia. 

Mind you when my kid got sick initially the first two hospitals and doctor we saw all sent us home with medicine. It wasn't until we got to the third hospital they said 'oh yeah something serious might be wrong we're going to transfer you by ambulance to the city'. If they hadn't done that he wouldn't be here now.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Thats pretty ordinary by the hospital.

I went to hospital last year, feeling like crap and short of breath.

Severe pnuemonia both lungs.

My blood oxygen was at 66%.... within an hour I was put into a coma and plumbing jammed down my throat, I remained that way for 2 weeks.

Wow! Great that it was diagnosed as such and treated promptly. A young guy (aged 16) that I worked with returned to work after suffering pneumonia. He looked something like a cross between a ghost and a skeleton. However, he went on to become an enthusiastic squash player and competed in local tournaments.

• Like 1

After my own close call with death and 5 days in hospital experience , I decided that it would be wise to run an internet check on local hospitals to see what reviews might reveal.  Some were pretty damning  with many tales of woe but luckily my favorite got a pretty good rating ....even if it is private and a 3 hour drive away.

Be prepared with a plan of action while you are healthy. If you wait until you need a hospital you might not have the time or strength to be choosy.  I saved my own life by ignoring the first couple of doctors and getting a third opinion.

One thing I discovered was beware of hospitals that offer treatment for various ailments but that treatment is only available as a clinic. This means a doctor who often works elseware , will have a 1 day a week clinic in a different hospital.  If you see such a doctor , get medication but a couple of days later feel worse , you cannot go back and see him again until the next clinic day.

If you feel you are seriously ill and have an inclination as to what the problem might be try to find a hospital with a dedicated department that is always open rather than use a once a week clinic.

Edited by Denim
spell check
  • Agree 1

This is my opinion.  In US this unfortunate incident can still happen.  Caring for aging and sick family members has provided a lot of understanding and experience the average healthy person may not have.

YOU know better most times when something is wrong.  When the treatment is Not working adequately.  

Our family has needed to request/demand additional tests, perform our on research and verification from trusted Hospital, Medical website.  Additionally a couple of times we changed hospitals or doctors. 

Very sad experience this family will have to deal with.  We go to Hospitals and Doctors for help/care.  Hospitals/Doctors possess the Experience, Knowledge, Training, have access to equipment and resources that is out of the reach/affordability of most patients.

DO NOT come unprepared about your condition, Do Not wait to Long.

DO NOT be afraid to challenge a Doctor or Hospital when you believe the care is inadequate or being provided fast enough.

Take Care Everyone.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Wow! Great that it was diagnosed as such and treated promptly. A young guy (aged 16) that I worked with returned to work after suffering pneumonia. He looked something like a cross between a ghost and a skeleton. However, he went on to become an enthusiastic squash player and competed in local tournaments.

I spent 12 months getting sicker and sicker though, finallly I thought enough is enough and presented to hospital !

• Thumbs Up 1

A friend died in the parking lot, on a gurney, because he couldn't come up with the cash and neither could his girlfriend. 2am. He was unconscious. My other friend showed up to help but it was too late.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, proton said:

Only an hour wait though, would have been about 6-12 in the UK

Yeah private hospitals are quick to extract coin.

I was moved to my SS nominated hospital l swiftly.

51 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

A friend died in the parking lot, on a gurney, because he couldn't come up with the cash and neither could his girlfriend. 2am. He was unconscious. My other friend showed up to help but it was too late.

was this in the USA or here? I thought both had to treat emergencies 

Edited by proton

5 hours ago, Roo Island said:

That's illegal (they are obliged to treat an emergency for three first 72 hours) but very common.  There is a big private hospital near the airport on Srinakarin Rd (not Samitivej) that let a young Taiwanese die like this a couple of years ago.