The benefits of living alone as an older man

My wife has a Government job that pays for my healthcare, and has already started a side business to maintain a better income when I’m gone. 

The house is paid off and she will get a good proportion of my pension for life or until she marries again.

Our kids will have a good start in life as a result, even though we are not millionaires. My previous kids have also been well looked after.

She better look after me!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I found this interesting video on YouTube about the benefits for older men to live alone.  Actually, the points mentioned in the video would seem also to apply to women living alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dqJO-OIPo

The only downside that I can think of when living alone is if one has medical needs or a medical emergency. A compromise would be to employ a daily housekeeper or closer neighbour who perhaps brings food (if one is housebound), does some cleaning, or just pops in to check that you're OK.

Shorter life expectancy is another downside of living alone vs. being married.  (Or maybe it just seems that your life is longer, lol.)

"Between 65 and 85 years, married men and women had a longer TLE and ALE than unmarried men and women.

For example, at 65 years, TLE for married men was 18.6 years, 2.2 years longer than unmarried men, and ALE for married men was 12.3 years, 2.4 years longer than unmarried men. Similarly, at 65 years, TLE for married women was 21.1 years, 1.5 years longer than unmarried women, and ALE for married women was 13.0 years, 2.0 years longer than unmarried women. Such marriage protection effects decreased with age."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7452000/

29 minutes ago, maesariang said:

Key to a good marriage is good food, oral sex and money. 

You write some truly weird sh*t Susan. But then again, something is off with you and you always have. Always worried about money and hunting for bargains too. How bizarre. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I have these, when in a relationship, or the relationship ends.   And a couple of those did end the relationship, probably.   If not with present wife,   Living alone with just the dog would work, but nice having someone here.   

Even though part, sometimes most of the day, we don't even see or talk to each other :cheesy:

If you don't have these, I think a few need to grow a set :coffee1:

1. Freedom to be yourself

2. Piece & quiet

3. Personal growth & self discovery

4. Control over your environment

5. Financial independence

6. Improved mental health

7. Strengthened relationships

8. Independence & confidence

9. Rediscovery of simple pleasures

Are there really that many introverts in unhappy relationships that don't respect themselves enough to be themselves, with or without whom ever they may be with at the time.

I sh!t bothers you in a relationship, have a conversation.  If that doesn't work, oh well ... BYE BYE :cheesy:

NEXT ... or get a dog ... I can't be alone.  Me & the dog got to someone to talk about.

Wish you the very best.. I'm not following number 7. How do you Strengthen a relationship when you nit in one... I was married and then divorced.. then single for 20 years.. I found a true loving woman believe it or not.. she Filipino. She's not a material girl, she doesn't care to live in the US, she not a bar girl at all.  She from the country mountain area in the Philippines..  The most caring and loving person I've ever met...  

Some people just embrace life alone and that's cool.. I pray you never need assistance for medical as your home alone.....   I agree freedom is nice... But a warm bed, breakfast and compassion is also wondering..   best to ya brother 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

" No problem. I can do".

"No pop-lem. I can do bee-cott I lubb u too mutt. You berry goose man. Jai-Dii neh. Bick heart. Gibb me money too mutt so I take care my famm-a-leee neh no need working ok. Gooose!"

Edited by RSD1
  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WoodyKenny said:

Wish you the very best.. I'm not following number 7. How do you Strengthen a relationship when you nit in one... I was married and then divorced.. then single for 20 years.. I found a true loving woman believe it or not.. she Filipino. She's not a material girl, she doesn't care to live in the US, she not a bar girl at all.  She from the country mountain area in the Philippines..  The most caring and loving person I've ever met...  

Some people just embrace life alone and that's cool.. I pray you never need assistance for medical as your home alone.....   I agree freedom is nice... But a warm bed, breakfast and compassion is also wondering..   best to ya brother 

7 was re-establishing old and or new relationship.   Thought that was kind of silly, unless partner kept you from you family & friends.  Or maybe if happy & occupied, you simply let old friends and family slip away.   Things that living with someone really shouldn't affect.

Some of it, most of it, was like ...  'why would a relationship interfere with any of it' ... unless a controlling partner or just took up all your time tending to partner's needs.

I'm bored, so I watched it.  Still digesting, even after the walk in the park.  

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

So  you asked your girlfriend what would happen if you became incontinent and your girlfriend replied that she would be able cope with that ?

"Poopy in my trousers" is how you speak to toddlers , Adults  shouldn't speak to each other in that type of language  . 

Or are you 30 years old ?

It's an expression I picked up from John Cadogan on his YouTube channel. I did not say it that way to my GF.

I continue to marvel at  armchair critics, bruising themselves with jumping to conclusions.

Here's another expression from Australia. Nicky woop, drongo.

There are no benefits in living alone as an old man, in my view.

I am biased as I have a happy longstanding relationship.

However, so far, what has been offered up on this board is the ability to ' have a friend over '  or go to the pub to be with farang friends.

A pretty shallow and weak answer in my book. Getting pissed and shagging when you want to?

I much prefer the life I have, sharing and caring, doing things together including cooking and cleaning, vacationing together, even going to the hospital, immigration, or for a long drive, I find it much better to have my other half there.

BTW, I can sit in a bar alone content in my own company, I don't need or crave company.

My home life and home comforts are different, however.

A fresh clean bed, Netflix movies together, eating together, discussing current news together.

Give me family life anytime, and she feels the same.

• Agree 2

As long as you got friends w/bennies, living alone is easy.   I've had 2 lifelong friends w/bennies, along with meeting a few along the way, most coworkers while doing my 13 years at NWA, and longest stretch of living mostly alone.

Breaks in between 3 marriages were longer than the marriages.  Here / TH, was a bunch of very short GF, or one night stands, since never established any friends w/bennies.   Seems everyone ones to get married.  No thanks, I needed a break, did that 3 times.   And then, along came #4 .... :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA

Strange how we change. When I was young (er) always wanted someone with me (albeit never desperate) but as I've gone over 60 the last thing I want is someone around all the time

More than happy on my own now and absolutely never lonely.

If in Thailand I do on occasion think about emergency situations which is why I have saved hospital ambulance numbers in the phone

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I found this interesting video on YouTube about the benefits for older men to live alone.  Actually, the points mentioned in the video would seem also to apply to women living alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dqJO-OIPo

The only downside that I can think of when living alone is if one has medical needs or a medical emergency. A compromise would be to employ a daily housekeeper or closer neighbour who perhaps brings food (if one is housebound), does some cleaning, or just pops in to check that you're OK.

Didn't what the video yet, but feel the need to say that living with a young wife, our two girls and a cat keeps me perfectly happy.

And I have left the great outdoors to live with them.

Edited by Ben Zioner

I got my self an infected leg and I couldn't walk or  get out of bed and I was bedridden for a few days , after a few days of lying in bed a Thai girlfriend came around to visit .

I told her that I couldn't get out of bed and I couldn't walk.

I gave her 1000 Baht   (to get me some food) .

She got me one chicken and rice meal for 50 Baht and I didn't see her for the next three days until I could walk again , she spent the "change" on some beers for herself 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

What if your GF is the one who is ill? Are you capable of the sacrifices of being a caregiver? 

considering the farang is often much older that care giving can't be for long so would need a carer for the GF and you

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1