Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

It actually can happen and work well since Thailand has joined and have access to Common Reporting Standard (CRS) system.

They just need to be able to use it!

ย 

How the CRS Works in lame terms:

ย 

1. All financial institutions from participating countries have to identify and report all "reportable" account holders.

ย 

2. The selection and identification of reportable accountsย are based on: residency address, amount in the account, and type of account.

ย  - Individual accounts: no exemption, everyone is reported.

ย  - Corporate accounts: those with more than 250,000 USD.ย 

ย 

3. If TRD need to audit specific people, it can request via CRS if there are accounts abroad, the banks will have to share the informationย 

ย 

TRD will need to be able to use this system effectively. and as well it will depend on the banks on how "diligent" they are to report their foreign accounts.

ย 

Sources:

-ย https://www.asco.or.th/uploads/upfiles/files/ASCO article_CRS_ed(1).pdfย 
-ย https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/user_upload/FATCA_File/crs/Thailand_CRS_Guidance_280823.pdfย 

ย 

Just my thinking, I could be wrong; I still do believe they left a loophole: Entity accounts with more than 250.000 USD. What if people start signing up for entity accounts and registering a dummy business just to cover the requirements. Then that account can be used to avoid being report via CRS.

ย 

Also I think there are many other ways people will find loopholes. I Think in the crypto space is where this can't be tracked, and of course, people will look for banks that don't participate in CRS. Another option Im sure people will try to use different residency address. However if TRD request information, they will get it.

ย 

What I dont know is how effectively the TRD can leverage the use of CRS, just a matter of when!ย 

ย 

ย 

image.png.adb84e6267bf6b0bc3d10fd5367b8ffe.png

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

However, If they ask for my US income tax returns, I'm leaving.

Why? Would any Thai taxes due, per DTA, not be a one for one against your US tax return? Or, do you have such substantial Long Term Cap gains, that Thai taxes on would, as a credit, overwhelm your US taxes? Can't think of any other scenario where you might lose money with any new Thai tax scheme.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You have the wrong end of the stick entirely, the new State Pension is single tier arrangement so there cannot be a higher tier.

As I said, between 1978 and 2016 the state pension was a 2 tier arrangement, the state pension came in 2 parts, the basic pension and the additional earnings related pension. Many pensioners are receiving their additional state pension as part of a workplace/private pension.

There are however many that never contracted out that are receiving a state pension that consists of the basic pension plus earnings related components, I have 4 such components in my state pension..

I worked with people on shift that were earning twice as much as me as a manager, their state pension couldย  be well over ยฃ400/week.

As I also said everyone only ever refer to the old basic state pension and the new state pension, both in the singular, the additional state pension has been removed from the rhetoric.

Tiers or not, what I wrote is correct - the links go straight to the UK Gov website which itself refers to "The new state pension"ย - neither you nor I can argue with that!

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Why? Would any Thai taxes due, per DTA, not be a one for one against your US tax return? Or, do you have such substantial Long Term Cap gains, that Thai taxes on would, as a credit, overwhelm your US taxes? Can't think of any other scenario where you might lose money with any new Thai tax scheme.

I believe I may be negatively impacted by such a scenario.ย  Dividends earned by investing in municipal bonds are not subject to US taxation, but I believe they are not protected by the DTA; if this is true, such dividends may be subject to the proposed new taxation law in Thailand.ย  However, when it comes to filing a claim for foreign taxes paid, I believe there is a prohibition against claiming tax paid on income that is not subject to US taxation.ย  I truly hope I am mistaken.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VBF said:

Tiers or not, what I wrote is correct - the links go straight to the UK Gov website which itself refers to "The new state pension"ย - neither you nor I can argue with that!

The government sites only refer to the old basic state pension and the new state pension, they want to bury the additional state pension, after all it was blatant discrimination.

They like people like you flying the flag for them.

My sole income is a monthly pension that on today's ex rate is approx 45,000 THB. So if I'm to pay tax to Thailand what are we talking about? How much would I be expected to pay. I'm not married and don't own any property in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

DTA for all in Thai and English anyway for US can be easily found - just google that....or better yet you can go to the Thai Revenue dept website - they carry English too for DTA's and also royal exemption such as that for the LTR for anyone interested.ย  Best to read the DTA prior to making any real changes to life here.ย  Good luck

HAHA, hear of sarcasm?ย  Read the thousands of posts on these topics your DTA information has been repeated 100ล› maybe a 1,000 times.ย ย 

But, thanks for the update.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, hwas said:

I strongly suspect that once the global tax change goes into effect, the โ€œstay in Thailand less than 180 daysโ€ loophole will also be closed. ย Thailand will simply require residence visa holders to be resident in Thailand for 180 days, or the visa will be cancelled. ย This is a requirement in most countries for residence visas

Thailand has no residence visas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hwas said:

I strongly suspect that once the global tax change goes into effect, the โ€œstay in Thailand less than 180 daysโ€ loophole will also be closed. ย Thailand will simply require residence visa holders to be resident in Thailand for 180 days, or the visa will be cancelled. ย This is a requirement in most countries for residence visas

Then we all become tourist's again ......:whistling:like the latest 2 month visa exempt with 30 day extension possible ......and a border run / visit for some day's weeks , month'sย ย 

ย 

Only good adaptable for the "free birds single men" :biggrin:

ย 

• Agree 1

It's somewhat ironic that the previous mantra was, only bring into Thailand the money you can afford to lose and, it's not safe to bring money here. Now, everyone's trying to figure out how to get money into Thailand by the most cost effective method. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

I feel very fortunate that I brought over large amounts many years ago, and guess what, I've still got it. :))

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

It's somewhat ironic that the previous mantra was, only bring into Thailand the money you can afford to lose and, it's not safe to bring money here. Now, everyone's trying to figure out how to get money into Thailand by the most cost effective method. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

I feel very fortunate that I brought over large amounts many years ago, and guess what, I've still got it. :))

Keep anyway in mind that becomes (possible) reported to you'r home country by CRS reporting since 2022... ๐Ÿคž

Edited by david555
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

I'm 77, so Thailand wants me to pay 2000 Bt a year, no worries mate, I'll happily pay 2000 Bt a year tax and save myself all this stress and worry and plans to remain out the country for 6 months.

Yes very good.ย  So you don't want to cry and moan like some of these babies that you expect free medical coverage, thai social security, and a free Visa if you stay?

• Love It 1

On 9/10/2024 at 3:48 PM, gamb00ler said:

The entire balanceI of your nest egg as of Jan. 1 of 2024 will never be subjected to tax in Thailand.ย  Under the most recent regulations the investment income earned on your nest egg starting from Jan. 1 of 2024 will be considered assessable income if it is sent to Thailand.ย  However as a Thai resident significant amounts of your assessable income will not be taxed due to several exemptions made available by the Thai Revenue Dept (TRD).ย 

ย 

However, if your nest egg is in the form of 401k and/or IRA accounts withdrawals after Jan. 1 2024 may be assessable income in Thailand.

ย 

Thailand is not allowed to tax US Social Security benefits.

ย 

Bottom line is that you likely will not have to pay any tax in Thailand.

Thank you very much for that detailed explanation.

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

Agreed. Most Yanks I know don't live off substantial annual LT cap gains and dividends. But, yes, there are some.

Yes, there are some indeedย :sad:. ย But, that dividend and long term cap gains info does not necessarily have to end up with the TRD - thankfully (in this instance) โ€œweโ€ are not on the CRS so unless one is audited by the TRD, or willingly submits this info - it could be ok, in a sense. ย 

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

The government sites only refer to the old basic state pension and the new state pension, they want to bury the additional state pension, after all it was blatant discrimination.

They like people like you flying the flag for them.

Of course they do !

ย 

The UK Gov sites are toย  inform people of the situation today - not what happened in history (which is steeped in "discrimination" as you put it.)

They don't necessarily reflect my personal situation any more than they do yours but they do inform people what they can claim now, or in the future until the rules are changed.

ย 

However much you like or dislike the ASP it has no import on the present day, therefore no place on Gov sites, which are the final arbiter.

On 9/10/2024 at 9:11 AM, LOG54 said:

Hello

I don't know how to post a link..

Interesting article by Thai examiner on 8th in which they say "very quickly" long term visas will be linked to tax declarations..

Have a good day

ย 

P.S. Here is the link:

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2024/09/08/revenue-department-preparing-legislation-as-new-expat-tax-regime-may-link-visas-and-tax-returns/

They say:ย It follows that at some point, the tax collection agency may link the tax return to the issuance of visas. Certainly, that will be the moment of reckoning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I'm as clean as a whistle, all above board, even the State Pension people know where I live, how sad is that.

No sad at all ,i just mentioned the controle ,not accusing youย  of anithing wrong doing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

ย 

It's laughable you have to try to make up your own guidelines in order to fulfil some inner need for compliance.... Surely you can see the irony here.

ย 

Rumors of forms being rewritten, making up your own pro rata guidelines... What a joke.

ย 

ย 

Completely agree but Tax is often as much about being seen to be doing things "In The Spirit" of the rules as much as following a clearly defined set of rules so what I described about pro-rating the Tax Year is, I believe, common practice when dealing with tax across countries that have different Tax cycles.ย 

ย 

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Potentially true but many countries will have a law that determines tax residency and once a tax resident you remain resident until you establish tax residency elsewhere. ย 
ย 

So jumping from country to country avoids you establishing residency in those new countries but you remain tied to country 1 as tax resident.ย 

ย 

Well I'm from the UK and to me that's all that matters and I know for sure it doesn't apply to me.

I know the Aussie law doesn't allow you to leave so easily but most countries don't have this kind of 'revert to country of nationality' in place for when you're non resident anywhere - but I don't have a list as it's irrelevant in my situation - I left the UK many years ago and in fact last paid any tax there in the late 1990's, since then I've been on the move.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1