New Models For The Thai Market

PeaceBlondie

On 11/10/2020 at 7:29 PM, damascase said:

Just saw that Royal Enfield has launched this 350 Meteor in India, and that it will be coming to Europe too. I assume we’ll see in it Thailand as well. Single cylinder, single OHC, air/oil cooled. Around 21hp. Nice dash!

C0D09242-9A5D-4197-A7CE-2AE38EF4E5E4.jpeg

4CCC07E7-EA13-45B9-B9F6-051481EDB69E.jpeg

Introduced today in Thailand. From 150.000 baht.

• Like 2

Looks like Honda is upgrading the PCX and Click from 150 to 160 (i think the current "150" model has 152.9cc, and the new "160" model will have 157cc), but they say the power will increase from 14.8HP to 16.2HP, 10% increase isn't bad.

News in Thai:

https://www.greatbiker.com/all-new-honda-pcx160/

https://www.greatbiker.com/all-new-honda-click-160/

No news about the ADV150 yet

Edited by jackdd

52 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Looks like Honda is upgrading the PCX and Click from 150 to 160 (i think the current "150" model has 152.9cc, and the new "160" model will have 157cc), but they say the power will increase from 14.8HP to 16.2HP, 10% increase isn't bad.

News in Thai:

https://www.greatbiker.com/all-new-honda-pcx160/

https://www.greatbiker.com/all-new-honda-click-160/

No news about the ADV150 yet

It's playing with Yamaha, I see your 155 and raise you 2, so 157cc, now your turn... ???? (and consumers will be tempted to upgrade - maybe little change in performance really, they should just introduce a new bike with say 200cc, but that would cost a lot in R/D when they can make money with just +4cc ...!).

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Looks like getting serious about Thailand. I rode by Mityon the other day and didn't see any on display.

Slick website.

You know they have a dedicated RE shop right?

Opposite MacDonalds on Sukhumvit.

I tested the Interceptor from their shop last year, they had 3-4 demonstrator models outside back then.

The Meteor is not for me, no power at all, but the 650cc models are okay, just.

Just now, guzzi850m2 said:

You know they have a dedicated RE shop right?

Opposite MacDonalds on Sukhumvit.

I tested the Interceptor from their shop last year, they had 3-4 demonstrator models outside back then.

The Meteor is not for me, no power at all, but the 650cc models are okay, just.

Ah. I'll check it out next time I'm in the area, tnx.

Had a 750 in Pattaya before, too big, prefer a smaller bike. 'Course, now would be OK. ????

• 2 weeks later...

About the reliability of Triumph.  I've had my Triumph Bonneville 900 c.c. Street Twin for close to 3 years now.  Perhaps someone here might help me on this one.  Although it has never let me down and always started, there is one issue I have with it that is very perplexing.  It will start straight off for several days, and then it will fail to start.  I can hear the electric fuel pump deliver fuel  and then when I hit the start button, it starts right up.  And then for no reason at all, it will fail to start.  And the reason why is the fuel pump fails to deliver fuel to the injectors.  I can hear the lack of sound.  Then I will turn the key off and back on again.  And once again my Triumph will fail to start.  When this occurs (once every three days or so) I will typically have to switch the key on and off 4 to 8 times and each time I can listen to the fuel pump's silence.  And then, voila, I can hear the fuel pump delivering the fuel and the bike starts instantly.  I have googled this issue and found out other Triumph owners report the same problem.  Various solutions are mentioned but none of them work for me while my dealer here in Pattaya tells me I'm doing something wrong.  

I am not faulting my dealer.  For one thing I think the Triumph dealer here in Pattaya is absolutely first class with customer service that is a notch better than other dealers I've dealt with (for Yamahas and Hondas).  

Other than this issue I have only good things to say about my Bonneville Street Twin.  For a big bike it negotiates traffic in Pattaya city traffic almost as well as my Yamaha Nmax.  It is extremely comfortable for one or two persons.  Has loads of usable torque.  And it delivers almost unbelievable fuel economy for a 900 c.c. bike.  I don't have to wash it very often and its lack of chrome makes it nearly impervious to rust (unlike my previous Yamaha Yamaha SR 400 which required a huge amount of maintenance keeping it relatively rust free due to my living 200 meters from the beach).  

Edited by jackcorbett
slight grammatical error

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Heh I'm not a fan of the new Monster. Looks like a chinese clone now. Something Benelli would make. It lost its elegance, the lines don't work properly. Before it also had this beautiful curved exhaust pipe, not it's bland. Change the sticker to any other brand and you wouldn't believe it's a Monster. The front does look like the Brutale but since when does Ducati need to copy from MV ????Though the weight savings are really nice.

2021-Ducati-Monster-Plus-First-Look-spor

Yeah I thought the same as you when I first saw it, but it's grown on me. I did prefer the trellis frame but I still like this bike and that's a huge weight saving.

Weirdly for a Ducati it looks better when it's not in red. Also seems to look better moving than in the still shots.  

On 12/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, jackcorbett said:

Although it has never let me down and always started, there is one issue I have with it that is very perplexing.  It will start straight off for several days, and then it will fail to start. 

Sounds like the original Lucas electrical anti-theft device. Maybe wrong sized fuse?

http://mez.co.uk/fusereplacement.jpg

Suggest replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honda has now released (don't know if it's shipped already, but at least it's on their website) the PCX 160: https://www.aphonda.co.th/honda/motorcycle/automatic/all-new-pcx-160

The 5cc more are probably not spectacular, but the important change is that they finally offer a ABS version.

The ABS version then also has a rear disc brake + "Honda Selectable Torque Control" (I assume some kind of traction control)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Honda has now released (don't know if it's shipped already, but at least it's on their website) the PCX 160: https://www.aphonda.co.th/honda/motorcycle/automatic/all-new-pcx-160

The 5cc more are probably not spectacular, but the important change is that they finally offer a ABS version.

The ABS version then also has a rear disc brake + "Honda Selectable Torque Control" (I assume some kind of traction control)

ABS only on the front brake I think. But does it also have Combi brake in this case (like the standard version)...!?  Rear disc brakes can lock up easy but less dangerous I guess...

HST when there is no ABS on back wheel a bit odd to implement - must still have that small gapped wheel to measure exact wheel movement to compare with front (but they saved money on adding rear ABS)...!

Edited by Agusts

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

"Honda Selectable Torque Control" (I assume some kind of traction control)

Yup, and the user can adjust the intervention level (probably 3 levels on this bike). It works OK, totally adequate for a PCX.

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

ABS only on the front brake I think. But does it also have Combi brake in this case (like the standard version)...!?  Rear disc brakes can lock up easy but less dangerous I guess...

HST when there is no ABS on back wheel a bit odd to implement - must still have that small gapped wheel to measure exact wheel movement to compare with front (but they saved money on adding rear ABS)...!

As far as I understand, the ABS model does not have CBS. Only the non-ABS version has CBS. I would definitely go for the ABS version. The specs on the thai Honda page wrongly list ABS for both versions. I love also how they translated suspension to "Prevent Quake System".

Good point about the rear having traction control but not ABS. I always wondered how simple ABS can be so expensive that manufacturers do their best to not include it if they can get away with it. And for bikes where it's optional the increase in price is usually a few hundred USD. Can't be that expensive to manufacture, it's not new tech.

Yes, that's indeed a bit strange, I assumed that the rear wheel also has ABS, and that they just didn't mention it specifically

I found this video, which shows the rear brake of the ABS model starting at about 13:35 in detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40dtf2TM9Fs

There is no slotted disc, and I also don't see any cable from a sensor, so it looks like the rear wheel does indeed not have ABS.

I assume they don't use the same HSTC as they use on their bigger bikes, but some simpler version of it, however this might work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

I assume they don't use the same HSTC as they use on their bigger bikes, but some simpler version of it, however this might work.

Maybe they know the bike's front wheel rotational speed via the ABS there and the back wheel via the engine RPM combined with the transmission ratio. If the rear spins faster than the front -> intervene.