The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

30 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The Kitchen - Pattaya Beach Road

Popped into the Pattaya branch of the chain at beach road, near the entrance to walking street. Fully expected a touristy experience and had it.

We ordered parma ham on bread for appetizer, a 300g ribeye for mains with sechuan sauce and potato wedges. First service: busy, effective enough but almost managed to skewer my wife by dropping a steak knife in their hurry. Locale: It's a shop house sized place, they were running the fans full which resulted in our food getting cold before we managed to finish it. Noisy but expected for the location. Customers: Mix of Chinese, some Farang, Arabs, etc. Food: Parma ham was good, the bread looked and tasted like it was from BigC. Steak was ok, cut into pieces and cooked medium, the potato wedges were a bit of the soft side but ok, sichuan sauce looked and tasted like brown gravy with a couple of stale sechuan peppers from Makro thrown in. 

Not impressed, especially as the tab came up to almost 1500 baht. 6/10. Much better options available in Pattaya.

Yeah, ditto. There are some OK things on their menu. Emphasis on some. Hint -- you can get as much as 50 percent off at both Kitchen locations on eatigo.com. Their food and prices go down easier that way … 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 8:06 AM, fforest1 said:

KK sells bloody doughnuts....Never understood the hype...And yes I have had them plenty of times in America......

The hype is that they cook them onsite from scratch.  So you get them super fresh.  They literally melt in your mouth when you get them within minutes of being cooked.  After sitting around for a few hours they are just like any other donuts.

Edited by lapd

11 minutes ago, lapd said:

The hype is that they cook them onsite from scratch.  So you get them super fresh.  They literally melt in your mouth when you get them within minutes of being cooked.  After sitting around for a few hours they are just like any other donuts.

Used to be a stall outside Big C 2nd Road that did them. Had to have an iced coffee with them as they always burned my mouth.

2 hours ago, lapd said:

The chain doughnut place (Mr Donut, is it?) in BigC on Sukumvit also cooks their doughnuts from scratch. You can see it from the moving walkway.

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The chain doughnut place (Mr Donut, is it?) in BigC on Sukumvit also cooks their doughnuts from scratch. You can see it from the moving walkway.

Yes they do, but I think they let them cool down a bit before putting them on the display case. Never tried KK so will give them a shot once I need a dose of instant diabetic.

It was nice to see that Hawker Chan in T21 was not fully deserted today.  In fact, it was quite the opposite as all the tables in the photo were full by the time I left.  I'm guessing it's because it's due to it being New Year's day.

Char Siu Hor Fun still 120 baht and still tastes good.  Staff was happy to see my familiar face from the old RGP store.  

20190101_125211.jpg

20190101_123306.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mogandave said:

While they may cook them fresh, chain donut shops do not make anything from scratch.

Krispy Kreme does.  That's what makes them different.  I only go there to eat super fresh donuts.  Buying a box to bring home is not much use unless you plan to eat them right away.  I guess heating them up in a microwave will restore a bit of that soft freshness if they aren't too old.

Edited by lapd

Krispy Kreme does.  That's what makes them different.  I only go there to eat super fresh donuts.  Buying a box to bring home is not much use unless you plan to eat them right away.  I guess heating them up in a microwave will restore a bit of that soft freshness if they aren't too old.

The have a mix they use, otherwise every shop would have different doughnuts.

1 hour ago, lapd said:

I guess heating them up in a microwave will restore a bit of that soft freshness if they aren't too old.

Does that really work?

Hmm, might try putting my penis in the microwave.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:48 AM, lapd said:

Earlier in this thread it was said the doughnuts were shipped to Pattaya from Bangkok.  So, do they lose that signature freshly-made-from-scratch taste here?

On 12/28/2018 at 8:43 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Would seem the doughnuts are not being made on site, but coming from Bangkok.

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Earlier in this thread it was said the doughnuts were shipped to Pattaya from Bangkok.  So, do they lose that signature freshly-made-from-scratch taste here?

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

They’re not going to ship donuts from Bangkok.

Guess I misunderstood.  I'll bow to the superior knowledge of people who know such things. 

Maybe they have a bakery in Pattaya and deliver them fresh from there ?

I would guess they’ll have a central shop at the mall making and selling donuts, and perhaps a couple small satellite shops just selling. The shelf-life is just not that great.

The footprint and capital investment for making donuts is too small to make shipping them at least on a small scale economically viable.

That said, I have noticed the are (or at least were) selling KK at some of the Jiffy-Amazon locations.

They are not making donuts here in pattaya! I have seen the trucks they are shipped in at royal garden. No one can make KK donuts with out the KK donut machine as they have one in the KK in Paragon bangkok. here is the link to see what it looks like. 

http://barshopping.blogspot.com/2010/10/krispy-kreme.html

All the donuts that they sell are made from this machine, I am not sure how many KK has in bangkok but they are shipped to small outlets around bangkok so sending some down the road to pattaya can be done easily, ingredient cost is almost nothing. 

When they first opened in Bangkok many of the workers were brought from Manila as they were experienced from the many KK's there until they got their thai counterparts up to speed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

They’re not going to ship donuts from Bangkok.

It would be pretty easy to find out for sure.  Just go into the store and look.

Edited by lapd

57 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Wow, a mixer, a deep fryer and a conveyor, they must have contracted Boeing for that...

Other than looking for any reason to try throw rocks, what is your point?  You own a Mr. Donut store or something.

Edited by lapd

I went by Oishi Eatarium today. I was told buffet is a whopping 812 baht! Even my girlfriend who really misses Oishi Buffet says it's too much. 

It is expensive and that would have put me off, but my Thai daughter-in-law wanted to go and offered to pay for the whole family. And I have to say it was excellent, far better than I expected. Great selection, high quality. Everyone in our family went away happy, and I expect we’ll return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mogandave said:

I’m not throwing rocks, I like donuts, I just don’t think making them is very complex or capital intense.

For most store, a deep fat fryer would suffice, some Donut kiosk around town don't even have that just carting in already made ones from a central location. 

Krispy Kreme, for what they charge, seem to pride themselves on having the machine, but here in Thailand, but the  newer locations don't even get the machine and you don't get freshly made donuts.