Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

We're just witnessing a normal reaction of hardcore bikers that are unsettled by the notion of having a different speed / lean / radius / grip equation. As if something is taken away from them.

Typically they post a picture of a baby trycicle within the first page of a thread to help their case. That was more understandable 8 years ago when the thing was first introduced.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course we all want to know the pros and cons of the Tricity and its three wheel concept. But to say "it would be better if it would stay upright" makes no sense because bikes usually never stay upright on their own. And this is the bike forum. Yes, Piaggio has a bike that stays upright, but its a completely different concept and more a car/trike than a bike imo.

Maybe we've forget to add that to have the MP3 stand upright (when stopped or moving very slowly) one has to press a button. It is not automatic, but completely optional to use it.

Beside that, and the power and weight difference, the MP3 concept is absolutely the same as with Tricity and Quadro 3D.

For disabled people it really needs small wheels on legs that drop down when you press a button to help keep it stable when they are mounting and dis-mounting. And a locking brake lever.

And when I say disabled, I mean people who are able to walk with assistance.

No offense but this post has me scratching my head.

For a person who needs assistance walking, wouldn't a car really be more appropriate than any scooter.

Else his attendant &/or walker ride pillion?

I'm a retired physiotherapist, and I can't visualize too many PWNAW safely operating a scooter in traffic either.

A few, sure, but really a minuscule market, methinks.

I was thinking of someone who may need a cane or crutches....not someone who needed another person to help them.

We're just witnessing a normal reaction of hardcore bikers that are unsettled by the notion of having a different speed / lean / radius / grip equation. As if something is taken away from them.

Typically they post a picture of a baby trycicle within the first page of a thread to help their case. That was more understandable 8 years ago when the thing was first introduced.

"We're just witnessing a normal reaction of hardcore bikers that are unsettled by the notion of having a different speed / lean / radius / grip equation. As if something is taken away from them."

Wow, that came out of left field!

I've found over many decades motorcyclist's are usual very interested in new idea's and new products but maybe cautious in implementing said products cos they live by the principle "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!" .

I'd get one simply because I hate the light, non-existent front end on scooter. I never ride them.

Okay fair enough. I been riding Thai scooters for over 10 years and never had any problems with them and no accidents either.

As long as you know their limits you will be okay which applies for any bike.

It seems that the Tricity buyers/lovers here on the forum are very sensitive when somebody criticize the 3 wheeler a bit.

Come on guys don't be so sensitive about it, I for one don't give a rats ass what other people thinks about my rides and I don't care what other rides, up to them.

This is a forum so everybody have the right to air your thoughts if you like it or not.

Maybe this will satisfy the "stand-up-on-its-own" brigade?

Well. This is the real thing. although four wheels remind me of horrible cages, still it semi performs like a motorbike still you cannot drop it!

World needs machines like this.

Can it stay upright by its own though?laugh.png

Edited by ll2

By definition - if it has more than 2 wheels it is not a motorcycle.

Maybe time for a 3 and 4 wheeled sub-forum

That is, by your definition. If it leans, can can get you wet, hurt and excited, it is a motorcycle.

^

Where is this definition stated? Wikipedia says:

A motorcycle (also called a motorbike, bike, moto or cycle) is a two or three wheeled motor vehicle.

Merriam Webster Dictionary

mo·tor·cy·clenoun \ˈmō-tər-ˌsī-kəl\

: a vehicle with two wheels that is powered by a motor and that can carry one or two people

Full Definition of MOTORCYCLE
: an automotive vehicle with two in-line wheels
motorcycle intransitive verb
mo·tor·cy·clist noun

That Quadro is cool, I want one.

If that video can't relate the benefits of multi-wheels, you can't see the future right in front of your face.

If 2+ wheels is what it takes for others to start using bike-like devices instead of clogging up traffic with cars; we should all welcome this new class of transportation.

I predict when these things become fast with real geared transmissions, they will eventually outsell real motorcycles just like tablets outsell computer workstations.

They are just easier to use and access.

I've been on the Willow Springs big track and my Pirelli front slipped a little as I was scraping my toes; I backed off the rest of the day.

I didn't want to total my Brutale since I had to ride it back to LA the next day.

If that bike had extra wheels, I would have had a longer and funner day.

The Quadro video looks like you can get serious lean at very low speeds just like the picture I posted on page 2.

Since more wheels can up the price of a bike as well as servicing; the manufacturers will push more of these on us.

Yamaha England says they won't get them until August so they have no idea how I can retrofit a kick starter yet.

I was not aware a PCX cost about the same as this earlier, seems the PCX is overpriced or the Tricity is underpriced.

I don't think 25cc of extra engine makes up for 30% more vehicle, but that's just my opinion and still think the PCX is a cool bike.

At least the PCX has the gastank up front so more storage underneath, and a real glovebox with charger; sweet.

I dug up some more info for those who are interested in this bike.

Not sure if you need to join this forum to see the pics but I signed up in 1 minute; not even an email confirmation needed.

Here's a thread on a Tricity off roading.

http://tricityclubthailand.com/index.php?topic=38.0

An ugly seat mod.

http://tricityclubthailand.com/index.php?topic=64.0

Mufflers

http://tricityclubthailand.com/index.php?topic=44.0

PCX width comparison

http://tricityclubthailand.com/index.php?topic=27.0

Damage from dropping the bike

http://tricityclubthailand.com/index.php?topic=35.0

I'm going to ride South to Prachuap Khiri Khan this weekend so will report back on its touring ability later.

I don't care about gas mileage so I probably won't be tracking that.

Edited by ttakata

That is, by your definition. If it leans, can can get you wet, hurt and excited, it is a motorcycle.

You could say the same thing about a diving board at a swimming pool.

You could say the same thing about a diving board at a swimming pool.

Diving boards don't really lean do they?

They flex longitudinally, but are stiff laterally I believe.

^

Where is this definition stated? Wikipedia says:

A motorcycle (also called a motorbike, bike, moto or cycle) is a two or three wheeled motor vehicle.

Merriam Webster Dictionary

mo·tor·cy·cle noun \ˈmō-tər-ˌsī-kəl\

: a vehicle with two wheels that is powered by a motor and that can carry one or two people

Full Definition of MOTORCYCLE
: an automotive vehicle with two in-line wheels
motorcycle intransitive verb
mo·tor·cy·clist noun

What are those 2-wheeled things called that I see carrying 3 & 4 people?

I find this thread amusing it is almost as if some guys on here are ex Flat Earth Society members and are simply unable to accept a new concept, which strangely isn't new.

I'm never likely to buy a Tricity but the idea is sound and proven.

Back to the Tricity. The links posted before are good info.

Can buy mufflers/exhaust for the Tricity. Yoshimura even. 9,500 baht. http://xpowerlube.com/ท่อ-yoshimura-r77-cabon-tricity/

I'd say it's only a matter of weeks before one has been fully tricked out by a local. They always seem to modify anything and everything, no doubt this will be high on the list being affordable and different!

Interested to see what people come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I find this thread amusing it is almost as if some guys on here are ex Flat Earth Society members and are simply unable to accept a new concept, which strangely isn't new.

I'm never likely to buy a Tricity but the idea is sound and proven.

I am still a flat Earth society membertongue.png

I fully accept this "new" concept, why not, it's something new here in Thailand so I bet many Thais are interested, especially the girls.

Now since Yamaha have made something "smart" like they did with the Fino, I bet the engineers at Honda will soon make something similar.

^ of course this is not only new to Thailand but Spain, Italy, UK, France etc. essentially anywhere with urban populations.

laugh.png Ah when in doubt use the question the manhood ploy.

so I bet many Thais are interested, especially the girls.

Only real men can wear pink with confidencethumbsup.giftongue.png

Meh.

It's not made by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki. So it's inferior and not worth buying.

My favourite colour is beige.

My skin is gray.

Anyone had a recent quote or bought one? I have seen a few prices on this forum like 79k, 84k, etc. I just went to a Big C supermarket the other day and saw a small Yamaha display and had the Tricity so I asked the price and she quoted me 120260B. Bit high me thinks.

Edited by Dazinoz

Anyone had a recent quote or bought one? I have seen a few prices on this forum like 79k, 84k, etc. I just went to a Big C supermarket the other day and saw a small Yamaha display and had the Tricity so I asked the price and she quoted me 120260B. Bit high me thinks.

That is out of whack, you should get it in writing on their paper and email Yamaha Thailand. Edited by paz

Meh.

It's not made by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki. So it's inferior and not worth buying.

My favourite colour is beige.

My skin is gray.

.What about SYM?

So I did a 700km round trip down to Hua Hin and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

2014-05-09074430.jpg

Some place in Hua Hin is already renting it.

2014-05-11171043.jpg

The bike is very stable for such a short wheelbase.

The bike handles the same carefree way up to ~80kmh.

From 80-90kmh the wind really gets loud.

90+kmh and you start to wonder if this is a good idea or not.

The bike seems geared to top out at 100kmh when there is ~120kg of rider and gear and no aero tuck.

I managed to get the bike to 104kmh on a downhill but the bike starts to get light over 100 kmh so I would not advise riding above 95kmh.

The bike has acceptable passing acceleration up to 80-kmh which seems great for 125cc.

I hit a few big potholes at 80kmh with the rear tire that would have scared me on a 2 wheeler.

On the Tricity you just ride over the hole with the rear tire and it isn't as bad.

I actually rode a lot at night because I felt more confident the bike could handle bad roads.

Hardpack gravel roads are no problem.

Then, I tried to ride through dry sand.

I suspect the wider tires allows it to float better in sand but with 120kg the rear still sinks in too fast.

So I got off and walked the bike through sand.

Another gripe: the bike is missing the 2 plastic posts under the front of the seat where most other scooters allow you to hang your helmet strap.

So unless you put your helmet under the seat, there is no easy way to lock your helmet for a quick stop.

So if you want to lock up 2 full face helmets, you must buy a top box which is in the accessories brochure.

This is just poor/greedy design on Yamaha's part.

They could have easily had the posts there.

I think with the optional tall windscreen this bike is good for slow speed touring because it really allows carefree riding.

Sidenote: NEVER buy a Givi E55; it is the crappiest topbox and extremely overpriced for these reasons:

1. The locking mechanism is plastic so it opened on me while riding even though it was locked.

2. The handle wants to cut into your hand.

3. The brittle red covers and reflector inserts get moldy.

4. All the side trim is ABS plastic so using it as luggage or a drop of the bike cracks the plastics.

5. When you stand the box up full of luggage it always falls down because the box is not balanced evenly.

6. The hinges do a poor job of holding the thing open.

7. The rubber cushions on the base fell out and were lost somewhere.

To cure these ridiculous design issues I painted mine flat black to hide the cracked ABS and moldy reflectors and bolted on a velcro strap to keep the box from opening at speed.

I could pardon these mistakes on a $60 topbox but not the top of the line $350+ one.

The E55 is pretty much the opposite of what even cheap luggage does well.

It seems like it was designed to easily break so owners would be forced to buy spare parts or a new box.

My Shad 40 was such a better topbox but I sold it with my old Nouvo.

2014-05-10115335.jpg