Thai farmers at risk from being robbed as they receive rice payments

webfact

Farmers at risk from being robbed as they receive rice payments

BURI RAM, 29 May 2014 (NNT) - Buri Ram Provincial Police have dispatched some officers to patrol around important areas in order to protect farmers from being robbed as they receive payments from the rice-pledging scheme.

Superintendent Major General Chaidet Panraksa has ordered police officers at every station to strictly monitor security checkpoints and several banks.

He also requested help from public relations officials to warn farmers not to carry a lot of cash with them, as many muggers are looking for an opportunity to steal from farmers who have waited so long to receive their payments.

Should the public notice any suspicious behavior or find something amiss, they are encouraged to report to the police immediately so that investigations could be made.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-29 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

We had a picture a couple of days ago of a very happy farmer holding a wedge of Bt 1,000 bills and that sort of publicity was rightly critised by Bluespunk.

Payments of such amounts are best not made in cash but I suppose many farmers don't have bank accounts.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I suppose it's far too logical to suggest that the funds be direct credited to the recipient's bank accounts.

Perhaps transfer costs and bank commissions deter folks from direct transfers. Bank commission (IMHO theft) can be hefty.

Slightly off topic but relevant

I'd like to see the Army get involved in loan repayments that Farmers were forced to take out from loan sharks at ridiculous interest rates, perhaps to mediate a more reasonable/realistic interest rate

• Like 1

Perhaps transfer costs and bank commissions deter folks from direct transfers. Bank commission (IMHO theft) can be hefty.

How much would the fees and commissions be?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not sure, if this article is more helpful for the farmers or for the gangsters. ;-) Maybe some will think about robbing a farmer now.

How many Thai robber do you think read TVF?

There's quite a few reds reading. giggle.gif

The money would have gone full circle had the robbers been the tax payer.

That's a rusty harp you'r playing. Maybe needs more yellow grease or 10w80....

Nahh, they were robbed.

Tax payers seeing their money rotting away and "spontaneously combusting" does not install much confidence.

The tax payer seeing the PTP running out of budgeted tax payers money to fund the scheme does not install much confidence.

The tax payer seeing Yingluck being summoned to the NACC for allowing corruption in the scheme does not install much confidence.

The tax payer seeing fake G to G deals does not install much confidence.

The tax payer seeing the farmers that were supposed to benefit from their tax money being intimidated for protesting due to non payments does not install much confidence.

The tax payer seeing farmers that were supposed to benefit from their tax money committing suicide does not install much confidence.

The tax payer seeing the PTP's reaction to the only person that highlighted that there is corruption at all levels of the scheme by investigating and sacking her does not install much confidence.

The harp may be rusty, but it is still in tune.

post-140765-0-41288200-1401373788_thumb.

post-140765-0-21632300-1401373804_thumb.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the Army get involved in loan repayments that Farmers were forced to take out from loan sharks at ridiculous interest rates, perhaps to mediate a more reasonable/realistic interest rate

Even better still, make it a crime and punish these loan sharks, I'm pretty sure they're not legal anyway?

Even better still, make it a crime and punish these loan sharks, I'm pretty sure they're not legal anyway?

Indeed, but the reason I suggested this approach was to get the loans settled first at a reasonable rate keeping all parties happy and avoiding a backlash for those in debt for going to the authorities thumbsup.gif

Nothing to stop the authorities following up at a later date without the farmers being involved whistling.gif

• Like 1