THE England thread

rijit

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

If you can't see the significance of a 20 year old Englishman putting away a penalty with that much nonchalance and skill in a World Cup, then I can't help you. 

oh it's alright lad, i wasn't asking for your help.

6 hours ago, wilai said:

hose of you still chocka of patriotic fervour may want to watch the Under 19s begin their defence of the European Championships.

Norway also playing in the Euro U19, see you in the final ?

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Aren't we current World Champions at u17 and another age group?

u20 I think.  Also won an u19 title.  The u20's won the Toulon tournament for the 3rd year in a row in July.  The u21's made a semi-final last year too.  This is why people are beginning to feel there is a sea change in our fortunes. 

There are some real prospects: Phil Foden (as you know) and Mason Mount seem to be the pick, and are just the type of players we've been missing.  Others too- from Lewis Cook to Ryan Sessegnon, who is already doing it for Fulham.

But because of the dreadful timing this year, we are essentially sending a B squad so don't expect much.

Edited by mommysboy

Defending champions England will have to wait to secure a place in the semi-finals of the European Under-19 Championship in Finland after a frustrating 1-1 draw with Ukraine.

England won the tournament last year but arewithout a number of star players because it clashes with clubs' pre-season tours.

England: Balcombe; Sterling, Tanganga, Watts, Chalobah, Lewis; Embleton, Sanders, Tavernier, Brereton; Hirst

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Defending champions England will have to wait to secure a place in the semi-finals of the European Under-19 Championship in Finland after a frustrating 1-1 draw with Ukraine.
England won the tournament last year but arewithout a number of star players because it clashes with clubs' pre-season tours.

England: Balcombe; Sterling, Tanganga, Watts, Chalobah, Lewis; Embleton, Sanders, Tavernier, Brereton; Hirst

Trevah Chalabah, brother Nathan left Chelsea to get more first team football at Watford, as did Solanke and Ake (Dutch I know). Sanchez left City for Dortmund and there does seem to be an encouraging trend. Players want to play and need to play to prove their worth at international level. Nathan Chalobah could have made the WC squad but for a bad injury.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, champers said:

Trevah Chalabah, brother Nathan left Chelsea to get more first team football at Watford, as did Solanke and Ake (Dutch I know). Sanchez left City for Dortmund and there does seem to be an encouraging trend. Players want to play and need to play to prove their worth at international level. Nathan Chalobah could have made the WC squad but for a bad injury.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44886845

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Yes 

31 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We do have a weakened side. I think it is a group of 3 and 1 drops out. It's unlikely to be England because we have won one and drawn one.  It's important to qualify because that in turn qualifies us for the world championship.

13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes 

We do have a weakened side. I think it is a group of 3 and 1 drops out. It's unlikely to be England because we have won one and drawn one.  It's important to qualify because that in turn qualifies us for the world championship.

Actually I made a mistake: it is the usual group of 4 with 2 advancing.  

16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

U19 France 5 - 0 England .. Oh my the shame to be endured by the Rosbif's after being proper trounced by a nation that love cuisses de grenouille .. 

It's the Premier League again. Players were pulled to be reserve reserves!  This is a sh*tshow.

• 1 month later...

Well good luck to gareth and the lads today . as i understand it  emery is  in the process of changing away from their now trad style, so probably as good a time to be playing them.. though personally   a game against teams on top of their game will  give  a clearer picture of where the teams at.. but hey   lets  hope for a good entertaining game. And a win would be nice

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Well good luck to gareth and the lads today . as i understand it  emery is  in the process of changing away from their now trad style, so probably as good a time to be playing them.. though personally   a game against teams on top of their game will  give  a clearer picture of where the teams at.. but hey   lets  hope for a good entertaining game. And a win would be nice

Woops enrique changin the spainish team not emery

29 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Who cares. Just as the real football was getting into the swing of things, we have this pointless distraction, masquerading as a meaningful competition.

Club > country. 

Some people do care  hense the thread.. wots not needed is useless pointless comment. U dont care.. fair enuf.. dont post.

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Some people do care  hense the thread.. wots not needed is useless pointless comment. U dont care.. fair enuf.. dont post.

This is a thread to express our opinions about the England team, and in this instance that's my opinion. Happy to discuss the football when it's worth talking about.

Actually there is something else... I hope the team haven't got an inflated sense of their own ability after all the back patting. The fact is we had a fairly easy route to the semis and if he's a good manager Southgate will be bringing them back to reality by reminding them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Who cares. Just as the real football was getting into the swing of things, we have this pointless distraction, masquerading as a meaningful competition.

Club > country. 

The “carers”will be whinging later in the season when their precious players are crocked or worn out. 

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

45% possession says it all about England's midfield....unlucky that for Shaw but Henderson is not up to the job against the big boys imho.

Is Winks the answer? Time will tell.

Winks isn't what I call creative; he seems to be more about breaking up opposition play. No shortage of those types.

Hughes at Watford deserves a chance based on early season form. I hope to see his team mate Chalaboah improve too as the season moves on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

45% possession says it all about England's midfield....unlucky that for Shaw but Henderson is not up to the job against the big boys imho.

Is Winks the answer? Time will tell.

I agree totally about Henderson. If England want to be like Spain, etc, then he doesn't really fit- an honest club player but no more.

It's vital that Foden, Rashford, Loftus-Cheek, et al, get out of their present situations. The young Welsh players are getting game time at clubs like Bournemouth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

Winks isn't what I call creative; he seems to be more about breaking up opposition play. No shortage of those types.

Hughes at Watford deserves a chance based on early season form. I hope to see his team mate Chalaboah improve too as the season moves on.

England's inability to break up Spain's play and press them into making mistakes was clearly evident throughout.

A creative talent is all very well but you need the ball first.

• Like 2