National police chief gets tough on immigration department after more delays anger tourists

webfact

A Thai newspaper is reporting today that the national police chief has ordered all immigration staff "currently working in service to superiors" to report back to their real jobs within two weeks.

Presumably this gives the higher-ups time to hire proper Burmese house servants?

37 minutes ago, newnative said:

Umm.  Why are you allowing 20 planes to land if you can't process them and, indeed, don't even have the space for them?

Firstly think how many of thse 20 are delayed flights not under the control of Thailand.

Secondly you can't really say to the pilots can you please hang around up there for a couple more hours or, just go and land somewhere else.

Thirdly if you could, and they would, you then have even more delayed aircraft and passengers due to the knock on effect.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Umm.  Why are you allowing 20 planes to land if you can't process them and, indeed, don't even have the space for them?

It could be a fuel issue with the planes.

But hey, I'm not traffic control. Still, would expect it to be difficult to hold a pattern without fuel..............................:smile:

3 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

None of those facilities are readily available before immigration, if I recall. Ergo people peeing on the floor.
No excuse whatsoever for not organizing more immigration staff. The information regarding the number of incoming passengers is readily available. Somebody just has to bloody look!
My GF gets called in on her off time, and kept over all the time in her retail management job. Are the IO exempt from normal employment practices?

There are toilets before immigration. Pissing on the floor is probably a cultural trait.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

These clowns are full of excuses, always someone else to blame, they couldnt run a p++s up in a brewery.

Sack a few of the top dogs, that will wake the others up.

Yeah, They will find out that there are vacant positions, that never actually seems to need a higher level of education. Same result!

Edited by Get Real

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

A Thai newspaper is reporting today that the national police chief has ordered all immigration staff "currently working in service to superiors" to report back to their real jobs within two weeks.

Presumably this gives the higher-ups time to hire proper Burmese house servants?

Within two weeks!!!

23 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

It could be a fuel issue with the planes.

But hey, I'm not traffic control. Still, would expect it to be difficult to hold a pattern without fuel..............................:smile:

What I meant was there seem to be way too many scheduled flights for the airport's capacity to handle all the passengers.

1 minute ago, newnative said:

What I meant was there seem to be way too many scheduled flights for the airport's capacity to handle all the passengers.

:tongue: Yes, I know what you meant.

AFAIK, all the incidents that have happened at these airports have happened due to unscheduled delays on some flights and obviously leading to unscheduled landings causing an increase in passenger processing.

Don't get me wrong though, the manning of the immigration desks (or lack of it) and the lack of communication between immigration and AoT is a disgrace and needs to be dealt with. Increasing the number of desks for process isn't going to work unless they are manned IMO.

Still, I'm glad Thailand is specific to this problem, and the rest of the world's airports can predict weather/mechanical failures and the like where things like this never happen....................:thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

There are toilets before immigration. Pissing on the floor is probably a cultural trait.

It was described as people not wanting to abandon their four hour wait in line to backtrack all the way to the toilets, which are not all that close.

It is a shame they couldn't use the runways the other way round to increase the number of arriving flights.

It would of course mean the runways would be relatively short, but they would also be extremely wide.....................:smile:

But I suppose that would be moot as it wouldn't address the problem with immigration hold-ups.....................:sad:

:tongue:

Well, could it be that the gentlemen in green pissed into the soup of the gentlemen in brown by nuking the gravy train of little envelopes from Walking Street, Soi 6, Sutthisarn road and all the soapy parlours (I hear something of 30+). 

Are the gentlemen in brown retaliating by making Thailand look somewhat behind the 21st century by telling the immigration (within reach/juristiction of the gentlemen in brown) to go slow? The alien world is of the assumption that the police is executive and not legislative (which applies to most countries as well where the gents in green are concerned). 
Obviously first-time tourists queueing for many hours in the various arrival halls will do this three times in their lives - being the first time, the last time and once too often. I do not believe that they will come back. 

Interesting also is that it occurs only on arrival (where no third party complains except local tour operators and coach enterprises.
On departure you would have airlines breathing down many peoples necks as it either would result in delaying departure until the last passenger made it to the gate or they would have to offload the checked-in luggage of all those somewhere in these endless queues - both costing money/revenue. It might be possible that the delays on arrival only are somewhat not quite unplanned - me thinks! But naahhh, too crazy thoughts of me - me thinks! 

Unless there are a significantly greater amount of tourist arrivals over the past few years (i.e. double) then something has changed in the Scheduling of the Officers of attend the Immigration Desks.

Either someone is simply not doing their job and has no concern for hassle and delays caused to arriving tourists, or someone in a position of decision making power is being somewhat belligerent in allowing this issue to worsen in a form of protest against lack of Budget etc...

....perhaps the next announcement we see is Budget for Immigration Increased to xxxxx baht improvements to be made etc etc...   We know how these games are played here, it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Probably more to do with finding enough qualified individuals, training, etc....

Really I had no idea they picked qualified individuals or trained them . thought it normally a relative and they given free iced drinks and trained sip slowly while checking face messages and let queues build up until start smelling the piss .

On a more serious note, these things happen worldwide but do seem happen more frequent here and with far more drama involved :-D

immigrants that desperate that they pissing on floor has set the bar high lol . another #1 win for thailand ...

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:22 AM, colinneil said:

These clowns are full of excuses, always someone else to blame, they couldnt run a p++s up in a brewery.

Sack a few of the top dogs, that will wake the others up.

I doubt it.  Sack whomever you please; the replacements will come from the exact same stock (and the sackees will most likely just get transferred somewhere and in the end rejoin the ranks of the eligibles-awaiting-assignment).

15 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I remember reading a book about 1980s China: people waiting a long time for their trains, urinating and defecating right there on the platform. With people, including children, waiting in a queue for several hours -  keep on reading the news about Thailand's airport(s) (mess)...

It was the same in New Delhi 20 years ago. They just hang inbetween 2 parked cars and let it all flow.

In the greenfields between the slumps it was loaded with people washing/pissing and whatever they wanted, that was their common bathroom.

Untill today not even half of India has toilets....

Toilets at Swampy really smell, they need a much better ventilationsystem, the smokingrooms as well.

Many times the stench in the toilets is so bad that i can't stay inthere at all.

Nice to see 'Quality' British Tourists in that video ....... No wonder Thais are not so friendly any more! Some people should be made to take a test before getting a passport. Ambassadors for our country ......

On the airport chaos, if immigration genuinely are short of staff, AOT could help with traffic flow management, They could stagger access to the immigration hall, keep them back near the toilets, one or 2 flights at a time.

Does this mean that the Immigration gentleman right on the top, gave a deserved brushing to the fellows under his command

for harassing quality tourists regarding their visas, money, suspecting them of having jobs and other falacious issues that just create queues in the Airport Arrivals?:welcomeani:

Edited by observer90210