Explainer: Here’s what is required by Chonburi immigration for TM30 and retirement extensions

rooster59

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

Does the tax reference not refer to funds from Thailand having to be from a taxable source?

I think he is making the point that funds from a taxable source in Thailand will be viewed as equivalent to funds brought in from overseas.

Yes that's the way I read it "12 months income from abroad or from  a taxable source in Thailand."

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Yes that's the way I read it "12 months income from abroad or from  a taxable source in Thailand."

It does read that way. HOWEVER there is no mention of this being acceptable for retirement extension in the police order.

This is the first place, ever, that there has been mention of Thailand sourced income being allowable for retirement extension based on income method.

One wonders if he meant to refer to marriage extensions instead?

As if not, then Jomtien is allowing something outside the scope of the police order.

3 hours ago, hargri said:

What is acceptable evidence of funds coming from abroad? I have made 5 transfers since the new rules commenced and 3 show as foreign transactions. I have plenty of documents to prove the overseas source of funds as long as immigration are prepared to take the trouble to look at them. If it's Thai bank book/statement only then I'm 60% compliant.

A friend of mine was told by an IO that as long as he had a bank book showing a deposit of 65,000 baht a month going into his account, and a covering letter from the bank, that would be sufficient. (He mentioned withdrawing it from an ATM from his UK bank account,  and then paying it directly into his Thai bank account - but that was a couple of weeks ago - things may have changed since then! ????

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, pontious said:

I will only have 10 months. I thought they were told to be lenient  this year.

Yes, I think the wording was  "for this year only", and a note was to be made accordingly in your passport saying that you had been notified accordingly, and that the next application would need to have the full 12 months complement of deposits.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

For those using the lump sum method, 800k baht needs to be in the Thai bank account two months before the application date and still be in the bank 90 days later. After this up to 400k can be withdrawn, but the same account must maintain a balance of 400k baht for the remainder of the year before returning to 800k baht two months before the next application.

Unfortunate sin sot can't be used in lieu of the 800/400K requirement...it is an investment/insurance payment from us to their society - eventually.  Right!  God knows there are folks that have paid out that much or more to our Thai honey, family, and village.  Not to mention our "ongoing" significant financial contributions we make over our life span.

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

400K in the bank all year for banks to make a great deal of money from. Brown envelopes elevated to those who make the rules. 

Why 400,000 in the bank all year? This is too much for me. 800000 in the bank for 5 months with no access to the funds? What are we supposed to spend? This is extortion by a government body. I have had enough of this larceny.

Regardless of financial situation...this is the Post Of The Thread! Deserves a LIKE from everyone.

So over this ridiculous place's paranoia, overreactions, extortion, inconsistency, random silliness and foolhardy EVERYTHING. It's always been bonkers here, but much better when it didn't pretend to be everything it isn't...and much better when it didn't take itself so seriously! 

Place has lost the plot and Big Joke is definitely a fitting name. :crazy:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

The stipulation that incoming funds must arrive at about (within 4/5 days) the same time each month is new and very problematic for British retirees. The state pension is not paid monthly but every 4 weeks. 13 payments yearly. So 2/3 days earlier every month. Immigration should be made aware of this. Showing it has already 

Rubbish the uk state pension is paid every month on the same date i.e. 12/03/2019 - 12/04/2019

Edited by dave moir
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kenny Boy said:

It will be interesting to see what price hikes the 'agents' apply as a result.

Two blokes I know use agents. One has already been told to expect at least 5000 baht 'premium' over last year by his agent The other guy hasn't even checked with his agent yet. All a bit, "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Get my drift, eh?" Regardless, most guys using agents preferred to say it was 10,000 when actually paying 20,000 and ultimately they will say it was all the same price as before in spite of it being significantly otherwise.

Their money so no matter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Yes, I think the wording was  "for this year only", and a note was to be made accordingly in your passport saying that you had been notified accordingly, and that the next application would need to have the full 12 months complement of deposits.

I don't think I have seen many accounts of this "leniency" actually being practiced though. Whereas I have definitely seen accounts of people with extensions between January - March being refused for not having a full 12 months to show, even though the rule came into effect only end of December,

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

Another stupid Thai system make it up as they go along...consequences are on you if you don't figure it out...don't forget to "save face".  Welcome to LOS!  Enjoy your stay, now get out!

I think you have it ass about face.

Ever tried to get a Thai into the UK or Europe on a holiday visa or worse still to stay? Now there's ridiculous requirements for you translated, certified on a wing and a prayer.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, dave moir said:

Rubbish the uk state pension is paid every month on the same date i.e. 12/03/2019 - 12/04/2019

Lemonitr is correct. it is paid every 28 days, not once per calendar month.

I think that there is also an option to have it paid weekly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe they are hoping responsible people will obey the rules set forth.

I assume the penalty could be the worst case scenario.  Which is why it would just be smart to obey the rules, and do not go under the amount.

I would guess that they would deny the extension, meaning that you would have to leave fairly soon, maybe within a few days,  and return with a tourist visa, and which would buy you some time to figure out your next move.

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Two blokes I know use agents. One has already been told to expect at least 5000 baht 'premium' over last year by his agent The other guy hasn't even checked with his agent yet. All a bit, "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Get my drift, eh?" Regardless, most guys using agents preferred to say it was 10,000 when actually paying 20,000 and ultimately they will say it was all the same price as before in spite of it being significantly otherwise.

Their money so no matter.

I know close friends being quoted 30k plus.

But yes, I think you are right generally admitting it may be difficult.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Toys all over the place again.

For those complaining about lack of TM30 consistency, please relocate to Chiang Mai. There's absolutely NO inconsistency there and you need to file a new TM30 as soon as you get back from the pub. Every time, no excuses and within 24-hours. Please don't complain about it after you do move there. And that goes for the smog too.

For those complaining about what the punishment will be for missing the financial cut 90-days after the extension is filed, since nobody's been caught yet and Jomtien seems to be one of only a few offices doing this early spot-check, we won't know. We do know that Thai Immigration edicts are always in response to a happenstance and never clear and concisely stated up front. But it's pretty much guaranteed that the Jomtien response will be diametrically opposite to (say) Chiang Mai's response.

As for the bank account falling below 400 k baht during the year and/or not having it back up to 800 k baht in sufficient time, then the same rule will apply as has always applied with regard to a 'seasoning fail' in that your SUBSEQUENT extension will simply be denied. It's always been predicated on proving the previous 12-months income so nothing new here at all. If/when one doesn't get their extension renewed, the same options apply as now namely leaving and getting a new visa or somehow starting over again. Note that these rather obvious options will be the same granted to the impoverished and unlucky foreigner blowing his tiny wedge before the first 90-day report/check.

All these totally unfounded and irrational suggestions of arrest, IDC, deportation and blacklisting are manifestations of the unreasonably insecure stress-monkey IMHO.

Are you referring to a TM28 or a TM30. I thought it was the responsibility of the landlord to file the TM30?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

You don't think foreigners trying to stay here when they don't/can't comply with the rules are a problem, and it's all down to Thai racism?

Time for you to leave and go back home I think.

What exactly is the problem? A problem for whom?  In what sense? Could you expand on your pont a little?

6 hours ago, sumrit said:

There are two Immigration Offices in Chonburi, Jomtien and Si Racha. Will both offices apply all the same rules or will they pick and choose what one they want to use as they have done in the past?

Lol.  oh no it's like 2 different countries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mike787 said:

Another stupid Thai system make it up as they go along...consequences are on you if you don't figure it out...don't forget to "save face".  Welcome to LOS!  Enjoy your stay, now get out!

I've learned to go with what the requirement is, even if it changes from day to day. I am a guest and either I comply or move on. As for stupid. When I use that word to describe another, it usually is my reflection in the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, sumrit said:

There are two Immigration Offices in Chonburi, Jomtien and Si Racha. Will both offices apply all the same rules or will they pick and choose what one they want to use as they have done in the past?

RE - Will both offices apply all the same rules or will they pick and choose what one they want to use as they have done in the past?

No need to guessing nor assuming - the last was, is and will continue ... :coffee1:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Here's a scenario for ya.

What happens if I check into a hotel on my break in Phuket or business trip to Songkhla? The hotel will register a change of my address. 

Will I then have to then do another report when I get back home?

I rarely do 90 day reporting, as I leave the country once or twice a month on business.

They don't have a clue what they are doing as usual I suspect.

NO... the hotel does NOT report your change of address it merely reports that you are staying there as they are duty bound to do so.

As and when you have to do a normal 90 day check you are reporting that you still reside in the same residence & have not changed address !

STOP TRYING TO BE A SMART ARSE AND CONFUSE PEOPLE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

NO... the hotel does NOT report your change of address it merely reports that you are staying there as they are duty bound to do so.

As and when you have to do a normal 90 day check you are reporting that you still reside in the same residence & have not changed address !

STOP TRYING TO BE A SMART ARSE AND CONFUSE PEOPLE!

Unfortunately the pursuit of likes is often at the expense of realities ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1