Wanted: Lunch for Old, Retired, Expats (Bangkok) ??

RLAretired

38 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

And, finally, on a really positive note, I will reveal my secret source of top quality hamburger in Bangkok.  (Note: It's not cheap, and I will only reveal it in person, not on any public forums.  In fact, thinking about it now, that would be a good location for a lunch meeting!)

Aha...the old bribery technique. (Just kidding)

Well being here only 15 years hardly qualifies you. Suggest you post similar in another 15 years by which time any venue proposed may have safe and accessible wheel chair ramps. And by the way many of us old farts still enjoy the pestering women and loud music so it strikes me you are living in the wrong country, try Belgium, should suit you better. ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The last paragraph of the OP I agree with.

When I first came here the number one thing people were telling me was: Don't trust expats.

Kind of sad but my experience now after 10 years sadly,  pretty much confirms this.

A recent "friend" said he cannot qualify for the new rules and asked me to loan him 800, 000 b..

Sorry bucko no can do bye bye.

I pretty much stick to golf for any socializing.  Four hours and head home.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, bkk6060 said:

The last paragraph of the OP I agree with.

When I first came here the number one thing people were telling me was: Don't trust expats.

Kind of sad but my experience now after 10 years sadly,  pretty much confirms this.

A recent "friend" said he cannot qualify for the new rules and asked me to loan him 800, 000 b..

Sorry bucko no can do bye bye.

I pretty much stick to golf for any socializing.  Four hours and head home.

old golfers never die.    they just lose their balls 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Strange. Whats the big deal here about not trusting expats?

Certainly if a person has similar agendas and thinking it may be difficult to figure out.

Edited by bkk6060

On further reflection "lunch" might not be the best time. To quote from a post a while ago "there is no daytime drinking scene in bangkok now". If you are stuck to.that time of day the Robin Hood by Phrompong BTS  could be worth a try.

Otherwise happy-hour ish between say 4 and 7 would be better.  The Kiwi in Soi 8 as mentioned, Chequers Soi 4 or the Black Swan Soi 19 possibly fit the bill. Happy hunting, unfortunately I am not in Bangkok so much these days and neither unfortunately do I drink so much.

I got this at just about any bar i went into, except it always turned negative, about peoples problems in some way.

One of my biggest pet peeves about thailand. There just never seemed to be "normal" happy people on vacation without money problems or over the top complaints, like you might find in france, THe bahamas or other areas, and i dont think it was me since i consciously tried to avoid this stuff on many occasions without success, so i just become less trusting and a bit mored sceptical each time, peolle pick up on it and things get worse over time, eventually im an lld grump before you even open your mouth. others mileage may vary.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Mai sai pong chu rot. 

That's a helpful example of why I'm looking for face-to-face conversations with other, old expats.  Lamyai3 has some knowledge of Thai language and is willing to help.  And, in turn, I could help him do even better in that situation, because his suggestion above is not complete and, sometimes, will not be understood by the waitress or cook.

This topic is about conversation with other old expats, not about MSG or Thai language, so I won't go into depth here:  just enough to make the point.  There are three ways to refer to MSG in Thailand:  "pong chu rot" is only one of them.  A face-to-face conversation could quickly and easily bring out the differences.  And, could help others to learn and practice the essential tones for saying that.

I hope that example helps explain why I'm looking for in-person conversations with other experienced expats.

(And I welcome private messages about any of this.)

Edited by RLAretired
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fhickson said:

I got this at just about any bar i went into ... eventually im an lld grump before you even open your mouth.

Hello from one old grump to another.  (In English, can also say, "curmudgeon".)  I agree with you about going into any bars.  Same experience for me.  That is exactly why, in my opening post, I specified day time (lunch) and no bars.  Thank you for emphasizing that in your post above.

21 hours ago, rott said:

OP if you already have some people lined up for this, still plenty of decent, non-plastic, non lowlife, venues round lower Suk, even Soi 4.

Thank you for that advice, but venue is not the question here:  have countless suitable locations all over Bangkok.  I've even had pleasant conversation at food court in Lotus.   The challenge is to find other intelligent expats with whom to enjoy those conversations.   I don't expect to find such expats anywhere near Suk 4.

(To discuss the more "delicate" aspects of this topic, I welcome private messages.)

Edited by RLAretired

i see one member here has mentioned robin hood near phrom phong BTS.  i would also recommend trying that one.  it is typically quiet and you won't get pestered by women.  lots of older guys in there reading newspapers, sipping non alcholic beverages and such during the daytime.  i think they do a sunday roast and that might be a good time to catch some regulars.  if you meet some likeable folk, can meet a different day but sunday might be a could day to start.  alot of people recommend the 'value' breakfast but i haven't heard much about the lunch offerings other than sundays.  maybe a late breakfast would also allow some opportunity to meet some regulars.

edit:  i've been to RH once but i prefer the noisy bars with ladies so haven't been back.  i am in that area often and can see what's going on at RH through the windows as i stroll by.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, buick said:

might be a good time to catch some regulars. 

I appreciate advice, but apparently my opening post was not clear enough ... The goal is thoughtful, intelligent conversation about expat life in Thailand.   That just doesn't happen in a bar, any bar, even a nice place like Robin Hood.   (I used to live nearby.)

Edited by RLAretired