ExGirlfriend Holding My Stuff At Randsome

ExpatLife

17 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

The point is he has every right to go and claim what is rightfully his, the fella lived in the house so i'd hardly call it breaking in (bit dramatic don't you think) and it's  only rented so not even the gf owns the place anyway. Ridiculous to suggest he would be breaking the law.

Its called breaking and entering if he uses force to get in.. if the door is open no problem.. if he has to disable locks.. different story. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Why should it cost anything?

Why not.. depends if the GF really has some rights. Just imagine if because of him she is forced to keep an expensive rent contract (period not over high fines if she moves out fast). There are reasons for it to cost money. You guys obviously only look at it from his side.

He has given no real explanation of what is going on.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Thats some smart advice to go by.

my bad gf experiences usually me or her is a little drunk and neither are not handling the scene very smartly..

sometimes me used to be stirring the pot and giving her some of her medicine but you cannot do that with Thai like you did with western women..no way! 

With Thai lady, even she locked you out of your house several times before, and you do it one time to get back at her she will go absolutely nuts!

they are the lessons you learn.

you cannot being hung up on being "right" with them because Thais are always right and never can admit to no wrong

no matter if its black and white you tell them they are wrong and they very well know they are wrong, yet they only just get into an angrier rage! 

Anyway i think if this guys GF turned crazy, it must be a reaction from something he did

cause they dont just suddenly turn crazy for no reason.

Whatever minor thing or decision he did make probably could be accept by a western woman with a little sulk or a few hours of a "silent treatment"

but of course most times the Thai gf reaction to anything minor is WAY over the top of what should be normal!

I havent met many crazy thai girls.. just one and after that I learned. All my other relations ended nicely and stayed friends. Why because i probably see it their way too. Usually two parties to blame for a breakup.. best thing to do is to end it nicely. Of course that is just me and I am a pussy. I prefer to avoid conflict even if it cost me a few 1000 bt. 

• Like 2

Why not.. depends if the GF really has some rights. Just imagine if because of him she is forced to keep an expensive rent contract (period not over high fines if she moves out fast). There are reasons for it to cost money. You guys obviously only look at it from his side.

Do you think she paid any rent when they lived there together.

If she has to pay rent now that does not give her the right to keep his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

I have experience with them, good and bad. I can also speak Thai so it helps. Anyway, I got my iMac, the b*tch sold my camera though, and also some money I had stashed away 'is gone' - funny you meet a girl who works at a bank, seems ok, live with her for 4 years and then when you want to break up, all hell breaks loose. Lesson learned. Also the police didn't require any money 

Good news.

Seems it worked out better than you and a lot of posters expected. 

Yes, on the breaking up thing..

as one poster say, always do by SMS when you and valuables are far away!

Personally, if i must do again is while im on holiday far away

even better SMS from my own country, but not say break-up,

just invent some BS about why you cant come back to Thailand.

just not worth the grief really!

24 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

Thanks a lot and I will take your advice after I get some shuteye, My plan was to wake early, to the police and head to the house when she was asleep, and thus not able to plan and plot lol

Yes, take it as an opportunity to get your (online) data better organized and you always can move on by just replacing that device. 

It might as well just crash and rip with the next Thunderstorm or really get stolen.

But if it falls in wrong hands, like your camera now has, that is not a good thing. Keep control! ????

Edited by RedPill

3 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

No she hasn't, shes holding it randsome as she wants 80k from me today lol.. 

I would contact a lawyer real quick as a simple express letter to her might just bring her into line, however you will need to save any text messages (ransom) or recorded calls.

You can cause her a lot of grief under Thai law, that is if you are prepared to go head to head, "up to her". Theft is a serious offence, forget the cops, you need a lawyer, don't walk away, you have money, don't be tight, go all out, show her that your not soft in one area and you mean business, i.e. you want your possessions back, and if she wants to blackmail you and not return you possessions, you will charge her with theft and blackmail, but best done on a lawyers letterhead. 

1 hour ago, ExpatLife said:

I have experience with them, good and bad. I can also speak Thai so it helps. Anyway, I got my iMac, the b*tch sold my camera though, and also some money I had stashed away 'is gone' - funny you meet a girl who works at a bank, seems ok, live with her for 4 years and then when you want to break up, all hell breaks loose. Lesson learned. Also the police didn't require any money 

Case closed.

Chances are the camera is in a local hock shop so you can start looking there if it's of any further interest. If you do find it, and can prove it belongs to you, then you could go after her for theft.

...or you can call it quits, buy a new one and move on.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

Anyway i think if this guys GF turned crazy, it must be a reaction from something he did

cause they dont just suddenly turn crazy for no reason.

That would be logic. Since when react (Thai) women with logic?

It's enough that she imagines he did something.

You looked at that girl in that bar!

Yes, she was the bartender and I ordered a drink from her.

But you looked at her, you <deleted>!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Need to know where she lives and works, if you want to check out the pawn shops. Could be a bargain? Also check Thai web sites for 2nd hand cameras.

Just interested because I used to be into photography and some of my gear cost a fortune.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Could be true but has the lady actually broke any laws?

well... she has taken possession over items, and not returned them to the owner... who's identification IS known to her 

no different to that old falang in the supermarket...

sees the lady in front of him drop a 100 baht note... and covers it with his foot.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I can not see why his laptop was so valuable, unless he was doing online business. If he didn't want the authorities to know it's contents esp if illegal, I can understand.

Well, outside of this issue or personal problems he had. 

But your personal data on a pc or laptop, is valuable. Think about all the saved passwords stored in the browsers, providing access to all sorts of online accounts, online banking information, credit card information, emails etc. 

It could cause a lot of problems to your private life if you don't protect it correctly, and it falls into wrong hands.

Have it all available stored somewhere else, to quickly change pwds etc. is really something you have to think about.

Later, it's too late.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

We were together for 4 years, we grew apart slowly and I found out she was talking to a couple of guys in a way a tad more than just friends. I have her a chance but she broke that chance and so I ended it. This is when she went B-A Barakas. That is essentially what happened 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect a lot of the 'right vs wrong' here has to do with who was paying the rent and to whom the return deposit is owed. 

Is the Op walking away from a rental deposit? 

Or, have the Op and his GF been Co-paying and the returned Deposit is owed to both of them?

Or, was it the Ops GF who solely paid the deposit and would lose out of the contract was broken?

Does the Op's GF have a job etc? i.e. is she self reliant or has she been financially dependent on the Op for the past 4 years?

Is the Ops GF just being revengeful in not returning his items? or is the Ops GF owed money to an agreed Co-shared monthly rent?

IF the Ops GF has not paid any rental contributions, was not the one who put up the funds for the deposit etc, then why should she care, she can just move out, in which case this is just an upset woman who is angry and wants revenge. 

OP: Why did you leave without all your stuff without taking keys with you?

Is the Ex GF owed any-money at all if viewed from a balanced view point (for shared rents etc) - or has she been living free for 4 years etc?

A lot of this comes down to what actual agreements were made. Break-ups happen, the demand for 80k baht seems the actions of someone immature and unable to handle the rejection.

I paid the rent and electric every month, she paid the water bill. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Well, outside of this issue or personal problems he had. 

But your personal data on a pc or laptop, is valuable. Think about all the saved passwords stored in the browsers, providing access to all sorts of online accounts, online banking information, credit card information, emails etc. 

It could cause a lot of problems to your private life if you don't protect it correctly, and it falls into wrong hands.

Have it all available stored somewhere else, to quickly change pwds etc. is really something you have to think about.

Later, it's too late.

lol why are some people so not understanding (I do not mean you RedPill, the person you are replying to) I have so many memories, contacts, programs, browser settings and bookmarks... Plus like you said, these days your ID is all over your computer, if it gets into the wrong hands (a vengeful crazy ex) then yeah, who knows. And it wasn't just a laptop, it was an iMac.

11 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

lol why are some people so not understanding (I do not mean you RedPill, the person you are replying to) I have so many memories, contacts, programs, browser settings and bookmarks... Plus like you said, these days your ID is all over your computer, if it gets into the wrong hands (a vengeful crazy ex) then yeah, who knows. And it wasn't just a laptop, it was an iMac.

Online protection is one thing, but the moment someone has your device physically in front of them ... everyone can gain access and by-pass your user logons.

And once inside, it's good bye to your private life & your money at risk, if there are bad thoughts behind it.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

And it wasn't just a laptop, it was an iMac.

Yeah, you pay all that extra for the social cache of having an iSomething and they prohibit you from installing backup utilities and prevent connecting to cloud servers and the like...

Maybe you thought you weren't just a(nother) boyfriend either?

5 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

Yeah about 100kbaht in total for those 2 items alone.

The police officer that was called to the house yesterday said she must have the key... so i dont have one no

I have a cheap cannon 7d for sale with lenses