When the yearly tax and checkup goes totally wrong...

teacherclaire

It was time to go for the yearly check, and I didn't think that there'd be any issues. 

The place we always go to had a new employee who seemed to be on illegal substances.

He saw my additional high beamers and told me that they have to be as high as the main lights. I've got them now for almost ten years, and it was never an issue. I thought that he was even higher than my headlights and didn't want to hear more rubbish. 

Not in the mood to listen to the coward any longer, I decided to go to another place.

An older guy immediately told me that the license plate wouldn't be visible enough. No/. Of course not mentioning the "too low" high beamers. 

When I tried to figure out if he wanted them lower, that they are in the middle of the rectangle-shaped part of the bumper, or on top of the bumper, he didn't know what to say. 

Then he told me to wait, and he did another car first. Then I heard my engine hauling and couldn't believe my own eyes. 

He had removed some screws, pulled the license plate up for about 15 cm, and used some paperclips to hold the plate in this position. Then he made the checkup where he almost killed my Diesel engine when he stepped on the gas pedal up to 8,000 RPMs. 

Then he made an extended test drive, which never happened before, and all was done and dusted after he put the plate back in where it was before.

I know the lights wouldn't be a problem in any European country; they switch on via relay when I switch on high beam. 

I almost lost my temper, but that doesn't help you at all in the Land of Why's.

Attached is a photo of the culprit with an elevated license plate held by paper clips. 

Doc1.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

You don't have a fixer up there in boondocks Nowhere Nakorn... given your post in the other thread about the bike you seemed to have it all sorted.

and yeah, if that diesel engine to 8k the rods would be on the ground.

nice story though.

I never had a problem, neither with the truck, nor with my bike. 

He really stepped on the gas pedal and let it be 7,000, it was a critical noise that hurt my ears.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

There are some new laws and regs to follow now - you can be fined for having too brightly lit headlamps and for modified colours - and it's a condition to get a new license / tax disk that he has to test them. The engine was tested to see if you had modified it to make it a loud, pollution spewing machine. You can get in serious trouble for that now.

No, they test how much black smoke comes out. I'm not a youngster who modifies the exhaust of a Diesel like so many others do.

You can hear a loud exhaust already at 2 to 4,000 RPM, no need to do that. 

The guy obviously didn't care and 7, to 8.000 RPM for a Diesel with 320,000 km on the clock is often the goodbye throttle.

I've had the truck for 18 years so I know how many RPM's the engine is doing, even when sitting next to it.

My engine only survived that because I keep it in a good technical shape. Oil change was just done two days before. 

Edited by teacherclaire

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And not easy to overlook for him because the vehicle is photographed and goes to the file (sent to DLT  (networked)).

So everything obviously visible is a "problem".

I understood the problem and was asking him if he'd like to have it lowered, or on top of the bumper. I knew that he took it out for any evidence, but pulling it out, then holding it with paperclips and then putting it back in where it was seems to be a bit over the top.

And regarding the high beamers, there's no law in any Western countries telling you that additional high beamers have to be at the same height as the headlights. 

They're well adjusted, but the guy didn't get it. And he looked like an addict of the red pills that are so common here. 

On the other hand can you see countless pick ups polluting the air, the tires are gone, not too many lights work and they get through when a guy who knows them does it for him/her.

To experience all  of that bs on one day was just too much and I don't know too many people who could have stayed calm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The reason is you bull bar it partially hides the number from speed cameras. 

Yes, that, and smash beyond repair the legs of any poor pedestrian you should hit along the way.  Should be illegal in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I understood the problem and was asking him if he'd like to have it lowered, or on top of the bumper. I knew that he took it out for any evidence, but pulling it out, then holding it with paperclips and then putting it back in where it was seems to be a bit over the top.

And regarding the high beamers, there's no law in any Western countries telling you that additional high beamers have to be at the same height as the headlights. 

They're well adjusted, but the guy didn't get it. And he looked like an addict of the red pills that are so common here. 

On the other hand can you see countless pick ups polluting the air, the tires are gone, not too many lights work and they get through when a guy who knows them does it for him/her.

To experience all  of that bs on one day was just too much and I don't know too many people who could have stayed calm.

It appears the bull bar was the offending item, with regard the smoke test all UK MOT stations( annual safety check) have a disclaimer notice about the risk but with diesel engines safe to rev  to the governor/Pump settings it is why there are few engine failures.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

No, they test how much black smoke comes out. I'm not a youngster who modifies the exhaust of a Diesel like so many others do.

You can hear a loud exhaust already at 2 to 4,000 RPM, no need to do that.

Why did you say no? That's what I said :

The engine was tested to see if you had modified it to make it a loud, pollution spewing machine

The modified exhausts kick out black smoke (pollution) when you increase RPM dramatically. The guy was doing his job. And he did it very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

And just the car/truck alone is soft enough not to do this ?

Cars and trucks are designed to crumple upon impact, so minimising (to a certain extent) the injury to the pedestrian.  The bumpers are also placed at a height to reduce injury.  Bullbars are rigid, so provide maximum impact for the unfortunate pedestrian, so causing maximum carnage.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I get that. But the first guy telling me that high beamers have to be up where the head lights are?

It wouldn't have been a problem to set the plate lower, or higher, he just couldn't make his mind up.

But I have proof that the cams do see my plate. I just paid 500 baht for doing a red light. 

I think his point was that by law a registration plate must not be obscured, which yours is, regardless of whether a camera managed to get the number.  And the first examiner was right about the position your spots were mounted.   Don't blame the examiners for doing their job!

20 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Then he made the checkup where he almost killed my Diesel engine when he stepped on the gas pedal up to 8,000 RPMs. 

No, that couldn't happen, certainly not to that level of rpm, nor even the 7,000rpm level you brought it down to in a later post...unless you've disabled the the injection pump's built in rev limiter.

Edited by Spatiumus

15 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Who says that they all pass?    They only have to be in order on the day of the test, as you found out, the other 364 days of the year don't count.

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Yes, that, and smash beyond repair the legs of any poor pedestrian you should hit along the way.  Should be illegal in my opinion.

I can understand the reason why the OP wants a bull bar. But I agree with you, for the safety of pedestrians, they should not be allowed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Cars and trucks are designed to crumple upon impact, so minimising (to a certain extent) the injury to the pedestrian.  The bumpers are also placed at a height to reduce injury.  Bullbars are rigid, so provide maximum impact for the unfortunate pedestrian, so causing maximum carnage.

Crumple zones are designed to increase the time over which the total force from the change in momentum is applied to an occupant, as the average force applied to the occupants is inversely related to the time over which it is applied

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone

In a frontal impact, the chronology of the crash scenario is well documented: the vehicle bumper contacts the lower limbs, the leading edge of the bonnet strikes the proximal lower limb or pelvis, and, finally, the head and upper torso hit the top surface of the bonnet or windscreen

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1123098/

Final paragraph describes EEVC recommendations published in 2010 - to date not implemented.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:53 AM, worgeordie said:

It's for the Kangaroo's ????

regards Worgeordie

More for dogs and cows that often cross the roads.

I think that I'm experienced enough to drive a truck after 43 years of doing so. 

Without having caused an accident, neither back home, nor here.

These have a thick rubber cover. 

On 12/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, JAS21 said:

I can understand the reason why the OP wants a bull bar. But I agree with you, for the safety of pedestrians, they should not be allowed

Please be honest. If you'd have a truck with them on and drive it for almost 20 years, would you really remove them?

Having 43 years of driving car and big bikes experience. 

On 12/20/2020 at 10:11 PM, teacherclaire said:

My engine only survived that because I keep it in a good technical shape. Oil change was just done two days before. 

So, after that near-death engine red-lining event, are you gonna get the oil changed again?

On 12/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, teacherclaire said:

As I had it explained to me by an angry cop that pulled me over for driving my pickup up the 'wrong' ramp off Ploenchit and after I had pointed out another couple of pickups passing us going up the same entrance ramp, "No! This pickup!!.. THIS pickup!!!..." as he pounded his fist on my door.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So, after that near-death engine red-lining event, are you gonna get the oil changed again?

As I had it explained to me by an angry cop that pulled me over for driving my pickup up the 'wrong' ramp off Ploenchit and after I had pointed out another couple of pickups passing us going up the same entrance ramp, "No! This pickup!!.. THIS pickup!!!..." as he pounded his fist on my door.

No reason to change the oil again. I guess you know your truck and when the RPM's are way too high.....

I see neighbors doing that and they don't seem to know how bad that for a Diesel engine is. 

I have a double Duplex timing chain and could hear the chain which was pretty much annoying.

I had an unwanted "race" when a pick up with huge tires was trying to beat my bike, which is impossible. I could do almost 200 km/h, but that's way too dangerous on these roads. 

i never had the chance to ride high speed, the U turns are always a reason to slow down. 

I switched into the fifth gear when I took over with around 140 km/h, the guy hit his throttle so bad that his engine blew up and I could see him slow down and the truck finally stopped, a lot of smoke coming out of the hood. 

His pick up with at least 285 tires ( just guessing by the size) doesn't replace the missing balls in his trousers.