SSD upgrade but no noticeable improvement

giddyup

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well I took the advice offered re my slow Lenovo all in one and bought a WD SSD 250, cost 1200 baht, took it to Wattana at Tuckom (Pattaya) and had it fitted and cloned for 800 baht, so a total of 2000 baht, but with no noticeable improvement. In fact a 3BB speed test gives me the exact same reading I was getting before. I now have a 1TB HDD that I will need to buy a 600 baht enclosure for if I want to use that as spare storage. So I think this may well have been a case of "if it ain't broke...."

Just try a restart and enjoy the difference...

• Like 1

Have a Lenovo. Worse laptop I have ever owned. The hard drive is unlikely to speed the machine up. You would likely need to increase the Ram if you want to increase performance and possibly a faster video card as most video and media now is higher definition requiring a larger cache and processing speed. .  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

An SDD only brings something if you have disc operations. If this is not the bottleneck then you simply waste your money. There are other things that can slow down your computer. You should check in the task manager the CPU usage and also the memory usage. This is normally the first thing to look at. It does not help much if booting is fast or programs start fast but the usage of the programs still shows the same problems. 

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Have a Lenovo. Worse laptop I have ever owned. The hard drive is unlikely to speed the machine up. You would likely need to increase the Ram if you want to increase performance and possibly a faster video card as most video and media now is higher definition requiring a larger cache and processing speed. .  

It's not a laptop.

15 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Several remarks.
  - 1 HDD cloning on SSD billed at 800 ... very expensive for a job of a few minutes easily done by yourself. For the record I paid 400 before learning to do it myself.

- 2 An M2 SSD box costs 200b on Lazada by searching a little. For an external connection of the old HDD or a classic SATA ssd a simple 100 b cable is enough

- Finally, the SSD will accelerate the opening of files and especially the startup but it will have no efficiency on the internet speed. Server or wifi card problem to be checked by a more honest repairer.

cable.png

The 800 baht included installing the SSD. I believe I need a powered enclosure if I want to use the 1TB as an external hard drive.

Edited by giddyup

18 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The 3BB speed will not change even with the fastest computer. What speed do you pay for and which speed do you get and which browser are you using? 

I believe I pay for 1gbps and I'm getting 267mbps (today). I'm connected to 5G.

Edited by giddyup

I just heeded the advice I was given when I complained about my PC being slow. It was overwhelmingly recommended that I upgrade from a HDD to a SSD drive, and the difference would be "amazing", but that is not the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Just try a restart and enjoy the difference...

It was shut down when I left the store where the SSD was fitted and turned on again at home, I imagine that qualifies as a restart.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I believe I pay for 1gbps and I'm getting 267mbps (today).

This is more than enough for browsing. 20 Mbps are enough. In the modem you could see the possible speed and the speed that is used for the connection. But seeing this will not improve anything. Of course you can complain at 3BB that you don't get what you pay for. But the Internet speed is not your bottleneck. 

So check the things in the task manager - CPU, memory and you also can see the network usage. Perhaps there is also a faster browser. Chrome is not bad but if you have many tabs open it will use a lot of memory and depending on the sites a lot of CPU. But you can check this within Chrome what is causing CPU problems if there are any. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The 3BB speed will not change even with the fastest computer. What speed do you pay for and which speed do you get and which browser are you using? 

I have a 3bb conection my mobile phone is showing 433mbps due to limitations of wifi chip

I am running a laptop over the same 3bb connection which is showing 1201 mbps that is due to  limitations of 3bb network wifi card is capable of handing 2400 mbps

Download connection package is 1000 mbps upload 500 mbps

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

This is more than enough for browsing. 20 Mbps are enough. In the modem you could see the possible speed and the speed that is used for the connection. But seeing this will not improve anything. Of course you can complain at 3BB that you don't get what you pay for. But the Internet speed is not your bottleneck. 

So check the things in the task manager - CPU, memory and you also can see the network usage. Perhaps there is also a faster browser. Chrome is not bad but if you have many tabs open it will use a lot of memory and depending on the sites a lot of CPU. But you can check this within Chrome what is causing CPU problems if there are any. 

I use Firefox and I never have more than 3 or 4 tabs open at once. 

Just now, vinny41 said:

I have a 3bb conection my mobile phone is showing 433mbps due to limitations of wifi chip

I am running a laptop over the same 3bb connection which is showing 1201 mbps that is due to  limitations of 3bb network wifi card is capable of handing 2400 mbps

Download connection package is 1000 mbps upload 500 mbps

I have the same - the speed on the computer is faster. Both use the same WiFi but the CPU and everything else on the computer is much faster. 

The real speed of the Internet depends on the server that you connect to. If you connect to thaivisa for instance you will only get the speed the server there and the additional ad-servers give you.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I use Firefox and I never have more than 3 or 4 tabs open at once. 

Try Chrome. Perhaps it is faster. If you don't want to install too much then install the portable version. It will run without any installation and will keep your system clean. You simply delete the folder and it is gone. Doesn't create a chaos in the Registry too. Here one link 

https://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome-Portable/3000-2356_4-10972513.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Susco said:

And I think you also missed his comment that is using a wireless connection, which will influence your speed.

To quote a moderator of this forum, you can explain it as much as you want, you can't understand it for them

No, I'm not, I'm using a LAN connection. Wrong again.

49 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I just heeded the advice I was given when I complained about my PC being slow. It was overwhelmingly recommended that I upgrade from a HDD to a SSD drive, and the difference would be "amazing", but that is not the case.

Don't shoot the messenger you were misinformed

You asked our advise to speed up a slow computer (nothing about internet speed) and our advise was computer would run faster with SSD..  Turn off your computer and start again and check the amount of time required.  It should be much less time (or are you now saying you never turned computer off?).  The same speed up will happen on software or change of programs that read from hard drive.  Your computer will respond a lot faster.

Now you say you are using 5G (cellphone) but then say using a LAN cable (to what?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP has cloned all of his carp over to the new install. 

Suggest a clean install and he is not so keen. It's what I suggested in the first instance, to no avail. No good just cherry picking and then complaining

I often have one hundred tabs open when I am assisting many people at once, on a much inferior device.

• Like 2

You may be paying 3BB for 1GB speed, but maybe your router is older, for example my old router was only giving me 300mb, I complained to 3BB and they checked and confirmed my router was too slow for 1GB. Even though they upgraded my package to 1GB!!

As for your situation it could be many things, what speeds are you looking for, Internet browsing? files or programs opening on your PC (reading & Writing speeds)

Can you be more precise with what you wanted to improve.

Plenty of people can advise you here  

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The 800 baht included installing the SSD. I believe I need a powered enclosure if I want to use the 1TB as an external hard drive.

Instlling the SSD is a simple job and doesnt take very long at all

Edited by upu2

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

So you don't even know the differnce between LAN and a wireless connection, neither between a 5G mobile connection and a 5Ghz WI_FI connection?

And you call me wrong? hahahaha

image.png.7168c16791d1a21e786c9dc0b4a6bfe0.png

"5G" a wireless technology ...

Maybe your computer's settings are making you run on wifi and not ethernet.

If internet is your concern, you should contact 3BB and see if they can hammer it out for you. I have found 3BB to be very responsive. 

Edited by Curt1591
  • Haha 1

Just now, bolt said:

You may be paying 3BB for 1GB speed, but maybe your router is older, for example my old router was only giving me 300mb, I complained to 3BB and they checked and confirmed my router was too slow for 1GB. Even though they upgraded my package to 1GB!!

As for your situation it could be many things, what speeds are you looking for, Internet browsing? files or programs opening on your PC (reading & Writing speeds)

Can you be more precise with what you wanted to improve.

But it will come with much pain and no gratitude. I've been here before...many times.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Well I took the advice offered re my slow Lenovo all in one and bought a WD SSD 250, cost 1200 baht, took it to Wattana at Tuckom (Pattaya) and had it fitted and cloned for 800 baht, so a total of 2000 baht, but with no noticeable improvement. In fact a 3BB speed test gives me the exact same reading I was getting before. I now have a 1TB HDD that I will need to buy a 600 baht enclosure for if I want to use that as spare storage. So I think this may well have been a case of "if it ain't broke...."

wattanna in tutcom are you sure....???

Just now, Curt1591 said:

"5G" a wireless technology ...

If internet is your concern, you should contact 3BB and see if they can hammer it out for you. I have found 3BB to be very responsive. 

Maybe you should practice some reading skills, and offer an apology.

I made clear that 5G is a mobile network and that 5 Ghz is a WI-FI standard used by internet providers

• Like 1