Passenger recounts terrifying mid-air ordeal on Hat Yai bound flight

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai man recounted his experience flying to Hat Yai yesterday after an aircraft was forced to return to Suvarnabhumi Airport. 

Posting on Facebook  they said after being in the air for 20 minutes there was a hydraulic system failure and a very loud bang.

There was no sound of the undercarriage being deployed. 

The aircraft returned to Bangkok and a first attempt at landing failed with the pilot opting to go round again before landing successfully.

The poster talked about having their life's matters in order as this was not the first time this kind of scary experience had happened to them. 

Daily News said that it was a low cost carrier and that comment about the story was rife online.

But both they and Sanook in their stories "vaselined" the name of the airline out as well as the poster 

Defamation crazy Thailand makes the naming of businesses in negative stories highly problematical, notes Thaivisa. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-06

• Like 1

Laughable "vaseline" if you find it easy on KhaoSod Online in Thai language (khaosod.co.th).

Incl. the bilingual letter of excuse from the company.

It's one of the airlines on my last choice list.

10 minutes ago, JoePai said:

I would be more worried about trying to fly into Hat Yai in a Jumbo

Hat Yai has got an international airport with a good and long runway. Just sayin'

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai man recounted his experience flying to Hat Yai yesterday after an aircraft was forced to return to Suvarnabhumi Airport. 

That plane looks a bit big to land at Hat Yai.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Laughable "vaseline" if you find it easy on KhaoSod Online in Thai language (khaosod.co.th).

Incl. the bilingual letter of excuse from the company.

It's one of the airlines on my last choice list.

What's wrong with this airline? 

They are using relatively new aircraft, taken over from bankrupt Icelandic carrier. 

Newer than most of the aircraft from their competitors. 

Besides that, the pilots did an excellent job, which means they received good and regular training.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

My guess would be VZ 320, based on the flight stats.

Thanks - yes indeed. Although I live in Cambodia, to avoid Thailand's idiotic "dinosaur" defamation laws by not naming the airline, I will state that it's parent company has headquarters at Ba Dinh in Hanoi!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

My guess would be VZ 320, based on the flight stats.

Scanned departures for HDY on 5 April, see "Diverted to BKK".

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vz320#274c3ab5

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks - yes indeed. Although I live in Cambodia, to avoid Thailand's idiotic "dinosaur" defamation laws by not naming the airline, I will state that it's parent company has headquarters at Ba Dinh in Hanoi!!

And it almost rhymes with "thigh headset".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nrasmussen said:

With a runway length of 3050 m virtually any aircraft can land at Hat Yai International Airport.

yes well considering my recollections of watching RTAF F5s easily take off/landing there; as the airfields other life is as an air force strip...      

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

They are getting a local reputation for delays.

Saw a video circulating yesterday, Thai man screaming at the station manager as large crowd milled about during a 5 hours delay at SBIA/BKK.

A mate with wife/child almost lost a whole day in 2019 to get from Phuket to Bangkok.

Left alone for hours waiting for a replacement plane.

His experiences were warning enough for me.

4 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

With a runway length of 3050 m virtually any aircraft can land at Hat Yai International Airport.

runway length is 10007  metres which is still very adequate for almost all aircraft.

Edited by harrry

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Short roundtrip.

And indeed landing on 2nd attempt.

return.jpg

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Posting on Facebook  they said after being in the air for 20 minutes there was a hydraulic system failure and a very loud bang.

Looking at the track it was probably in the air for no more than 20 minutes total. At what point was the "bang"? On landing?