Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Public to receive COVID-19 vaccine shots in June

snoop1130

14 hours ago, Upnotover said:

"Vaccinate the tarts!"  Can you imagine the discussion at the urgent meeting that concluded that this was a way of curbing the spread of the outbreak.  

This makes sense to me; the girls are going to work anyway, and have much higher chances of spreading the virus than most people by the very nature of that work.  Vaccinate one girl and keep many customers safer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

I thought that the initial seed components would be delived in June (from previous reports), then would take several months for production to ramp up and then get approval from the authorities.

With the current supply issues that AZ seem to have Globally, I am sure that sorting these out as a priority will be at the forfront of their minds.

Opening, and getting into production a brand new Plant, will not be as important as getting supplies of Vaccine to those Countries that have pre-ordered, and partially financed their supply already, and also getting component ingredients to Plants that are up and running with only minor issues

A brand new facility will , ( with all the best intentions ), have start up issues, something that is not needed at this time.

Vaccines are what is needed on a massive Global scale 

• Like 1

It is increasingly likely that 90% of Thais will either (a) not receive any vaccination at all before 2022 or (b) receive the Chinese Sinovac whose efficacy is in doubt and then only very slowly over 2 or more months.

Does what passes for a 'government' give a damn? The evidence would suggest not.

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

That's the issue. The Chinese vaccine results were not public and no thorough review. What data did Thailand have to make thorough review. Chile and Brazil are having negative outcome with the Sinovac vaccine. Chile is  reporting only 56% efficacy (subject to 2X dose and several weeks waiting period), which is not good and under normal circumstances would render the vaccine not viable.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3128886/chile-covid-19-vaccination-drive-adds-sinovac-efficacy-data

The red flag is the " study by the University of Chile also found that one dose of the Sinovac jab was only 3 per cent effective against infection". (This would explain why the cop on Samui  became infected  after one dose vaccination.)  I don't think the Sinovac product will give immunity for more than a few months at best.

Chile vaccinated population thought they would be protected and now pay the price with massive infection surge. I expect the outcome would be the same in Thailand.  I do not know if the  China vaccine will keep people from dying or becoming dangerously ill.. Do you? China did not release this data. we do know from  verified clinical trial result review and real world data that the western vaccines work.  I think using  China vaccine is irresponsible and unethical if Thai government does not give specific information to people that China vaccine is practically useless.

No, Chile and Brazil are not having negative outcomes. The most important thing a vaccine can do is to prevent deaths and life-threatening symptoms. By that measure, Coronavac is doing extremely well.

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No, Chile and Brazil are not having negative outcomes. The most important thing a vaccine can do is to prevent deaths and life-threatening symptoms. By that measure, Coronavac is doing extremely well.

You should check the death count, they seem to be rising 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/chile/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

Edited by Bkk Brian

16 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's important to be non-judgemental and just distribute the available vaccine in a way that minimises transmission of the virus. It seems to me that vaccinating high-risk workers like prostitutes is an extremely good idea.

The government has recently announced that they have not been able to find any prostitutes in Thailand.  So, who will they vaccinate?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Most likely it's down to the new, far more virulent forms of Covid 10.t. So, given reports from elsewhere, it's reasonable to assume that the new more virulent forms are outpacing the progress made with vaccines.

What you offer as evidence is clearly not relevant.. Relevant evidence would show how those vaccinated with Sinovac are faring compared to those unvaccinated.

Edited by placeholder

I have yet to see a delivery schedule for the Thai made AstraZeneca vaccine. I was under the impression that they will start production in June, so it could be months (from then) until a significant number of doses will be available to the Thai public from that source.

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Most likely it's down to the new, far more virulent forms of Covid 10.t. So, given reports from elsewhere, it's reasonable to assume that the new more virulent forms are outpacing the progress made with vaccines.

What you offer as evidence is clearly not relevant.. Relevant evidence would show how those vaccinated with Sinovac are faring compared to those unvaccinated.

Its about as relevant as it can get. This is what I was referring to in your post and responded to directly I even highlighted it for you so you would be clear on that in my response: "No, Chile and Brazil are not having negative outcomes"

The evidence I provided disproved your claim, now if you want to speculate as to why that's a different matter. If you do please share the credible information

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

And the reality is that it is more likely the blood clots are due to other causes than the vaccine, also blood clots have been reported for most of the other vaccines as well - There just seems to be a concerted effort to criticise the AstraZeneca vaccine - maybe because as a cheap. not for profit vaccine it was likely to eat into the profits of the other pharmaceutical companies.

I think you have quite a good point, the AZ vaccine is a non profit offering during the pandemic, the big boys (USA based) really don't like that is a point I and many others would go along with.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

You must live a very riskless life.

As of 2/4/21 in uk.

Rare Blood clots after AZ vaccination - approximately 0.5 in a million.

Actual Death from Blood clots after AZ vaccination - approximately 0.12 in a million.

You are more likely to be hit by lightning 8-9 times, 

You are 14-15 times more likely to die of a bee sting.

UK had 1580 road deaths last year - which would mean about 225 times more likely to die road accident than vaccination after clotting. More appropriate , if you are in Thailand you would be about 4000-4500 more likely to die in a road accident that die from blood clotting.

Had my AZ, still alive. I think you should give it some more perspective thinking. ????

Thanks for saving me looking those figures up - couldn't agree more. ????

Looking forward to my second AZ shot in just over 3 weeks time. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

It is increasingly likely that 90% of Thais will either (a) not receive any vaccination at all before 2022 or (b) receive the Chinese Sinovac whose efficacy is in doubt and then only very slowly over 2 or more months.

Does what passes for a 'government' give a damn? The evidence would suggest not.

The 2 (only) Thai people I've spoken with have said they'll never have a vaccine made in China.

Whether that's typical I don't know, but in all honesty I don't blame them!

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Sinovac is only 50.4,% effective.

That's only when assessing the efficacy against symptomatic disease, though. Their phase 3 data also indicated 83.7% efficacy against cases requiring treatment and 100% efficacy against hospitalisations, severe illness or death.

Expert reaction to Sinovac phase 3 results

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alant said:

I think you have quite a good point, the AZ vaccine is a non profit offering during the pandemic, the big boys (USA based) really don't like that is a point I and many others would go along with.

The US went another route and ended up with 2 of the best jabs and ample supply for the country shortly. Not to mention all the issues with AZ initially.

3 hours ago, alant said:

Actually J&J is also not for profit

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

The US went another route and ended up with 2 of the best jabs and ample supply for the country shortly. Not to mention all the issues with AZ initially.

Are they really "the best jabs," though?

It's true that their interim phase 3 trial results do look better on paper.

However, clinical trials done in different parts of the world at different points in the pandemic with different trial designs and different clinical end-points cannot be directly compared.

Actual, real world data from over a million vaccinated people in the UK (as opposed to the thousands in the clinical trials) would appear to show the AstraZeneca vaccine as being more effective than the Pfizer jab, for instance.

Real world data from 1.14 million people in UK

According to that link:

[The] Pfizer and Oxford vaccines are ... shown to reduce the risk of hospitalisation from COVID-19 by up to 85% and 94%, respectively.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

Anutin up to his tricks again claiming that Sinovac is approved by WHO, its not. I think they may take issue with Thailand's Health Minister claiming it is.

"Anutin said he was responding to criticism from politicians who claimed that Covid-19 vaccines procured by the government so far were ineffective. The criticism had caused confusion among the public, the minister added.

He said the politicians cited foreign news reports to refute the efficacy of the AstraZeneca and Sinovac brands, even though both vaccines had been approved by the World Health Organisation."

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404847

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Are they really "the best jabs," though?

It's true that their interim phase 3 trial results do look better on paper.

However, clinical trials done in different parts of the world at different points in the pandemic with different trial designs and different clinical end-points cannot be directly compared.

Actual, real world data from over a million vaccinated people in the UK (as opposed to the thousands in the clinical trials) would appear to show the AstraZeneca vaccine as being more effective than the Pfizer jab, for instance.

Real world data from 1.14 million people in UK

According to that link:

Emergency use authorizations. Limited testing and comparisons. Yeah. We've got a long way to go to really understand it all.

• Like 1

Members of the public will receive the AstraZeneca vaccine produced in Thailand, in June.

There is a worrying lack of detail on this, such as the timeline and it presumes that there will be no glitches in local production of AZ by an inexperienced licensee, as happened in other countries. 

I don't understand why workers in entertainment places in Thonglor are given priority for vaccinations.  The pubs are closed now and if they have got it, they have got it.  Vaccination won't help.  They should not be allowed to jump the queue.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Emergency use authorizations. Limited testing and comparisons. Yeah. We've got a long way to go to really understand it all.

Just as a point of detail, Emergency use authorizations was simply to avoid all the admin and other BS that usually goes with vaccine trials,.

The actual testing WAS done - sort of "get the job done and the paperwork can wait" approach.

AZ actually had the vax ready in January 2020, BUT the testing was done throughout 2020 so wasn't as limited as it might appear.

Watch the BBC "The Race for a vaccine"

But yes, "We've got a long way to go to really understand it all." is correct....but then will we ever understand it all?

Edited by VBF
Spelling

18 minutes ago, VBF said:

Just as a point of detail, Emergency use authorizations was simply to avoid all the admin and other BS that usually goes with vaccine trials,.

The actual testing WAS done - sort of "get the job done and the paperwork can wait" approach.

AZ actually had the vax ready in January 2020, BUT the testing was done throughout 2020 so wasn't as limited as it might appear.

Watch the BBC "The Race for a vaccine"

But yes, "We've got a long way to go to really understand it all." is correct....but then will we ever understand it all?

One of the reasons for extended trials is to determine the long-term effects. We've got no idea now.

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

One of the reasons for extended trials is to determine the long-term effects. We've got no idea now.

Yes I understand that but with Covid, the risk of waiting appeared to be greater than the risk of doing conventional testing over many months / years.

And if you watch that documentary, a whole lot was crammed into a short time because the focus was on testing not talking!

Ideal? No, of course not. Possible that errors were made? Yes

Pragmatic? I think so.

But you said it "We've got a long way to go to really understand it all.""

9 hours ago, rickudon said:

There just seems to be a concerted effort to criticise the AstraZeneca vaccine -

November 2020- Trial data dispute

January 2021- supply dispute

January 2021- efficacy over 65 dispute

March 2021- Blood clot dispute

Late March 2021- U.S. data dispute

Many countries will not touch it.

The concerted effort seems pretty legitimate..

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 1