Lithium Ion Battery Disposal

tonray

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I recently read that there is a battery disposal bin at Fortune but don't recall the specific location.

There used to be one on the 6th floor of Central World but don't know if still there.

Thanks..I'm down around Fortune Town a couple of times per month. Worse comes to worse, I can leave it on a bench there and if there is a bin, certainly the cleaning staff would know where it is.

Edited by tonray

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Thanks..I'm down around Fortune Town a couple of times per month. Worse comes to worse, I can leave it on a bench there and if there is a bin, certainly the cleaning staff would know where it is.

I can't confirm this but I remember something about all "IT CITY" branches having a battery disposal bin.

• Thanks 1

Most, if not all communities have battery disposal cages somewhere.

But I always thought that with lithium batteries, you could rebalanced the cells, and recondition them quite easily.

If that's the case, then I'm sure that if you just left them out, then someone would take them and make use of them?

14 hours ago, dddave said:

I can't confirm this but I remember something about all "IT CITY" branches having a battery disposal bin.

This rings a bell with me too although I've not been to IT City for some time.

• Like 1

About two years ago my Samsung tablet quit working.  I took it to the Samsung repair facility in Pattaya and asked them to fix it.  Their answer was to just replace it since it was more than three years old.  I asked them to dispose of the old tablet as electronic trash.  They pointed me to a waste bin, Thailand's solution to disposing of electronic waste.

I took the old tablet home and put it on a shelf, then bought a new Samsung tablet for about 30,000 Bt.

A friend with the same tablet told me his quit working and he got it repaired for 1000 Bt at Tukcom.  I took my old tablet in and 1000 Bt later I had two working tablets.  Both are still working.

• Like 1

Last time I passed through NCA terminal in Chatuchak, there were several battery bins near the ticket booths. I don't know if there was any differentiation between battery types though. 

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

When we all have EVs ha ha what will they do with the millions of massive Lithium batteries?

It's going to be a massive environmental problem, as will be the dangerous process of mining for lithium and cobalt to meet the new demand. But nobody wants to talk about these issues.

42 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

It's going to be a massive environmental problem, as will be the dangerous process of mining for lithium and cobalt to meet the new demand. But nobody wants to talk about these issues.

Not arguing that Lithium (and worse-so Cobalt) is not bad to mine/produce and dispose or recycle of, but you have to remember that if there are millions of large-capacity lithium-based batteries around, you can be certain that there will be a robust market quickly created to re-use and recycle them.  I love my 2016 Ford Ranger, and will keep it until it dies...  but I am buying an electric car as a commuter vehicle this week.  Even though it's a somewhat average Chinese build, it is comfortable, quicker off the line than the Ford, handles well and the battery has an EIGHT YEAR WARRANTY.  I don't think I've ever had any car and definitely no battery-powered electronic device for 8 years before.   I did out the expenses with insurance/tax/maintenance on my annual 25,000km and it will cost literally about half the price/kilometer (about 1.15 baht) to drive than the Ranger (Just over 2 baht), and that's paying the outrageous 7 baht/KW hour at my condo charging points and the ridiculously cheap fuel prices we currently have.   If I still had a house with sub-4.5 baht electric rates it would be far less.

I'm no hipster or crunchy hippie, but for me, electric is the future, and for much more than just the 'being green' part of it.

For the OP....  there used to be battery recycle bins at Global House home improvement stores, at least the one near me in Rayong did.  Not sure they are there any more.

It's funny the response when you attempt to be environmentally responsible and attempt not to pollute.  Batteries probably go into the nearest river or lake. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, n8sail said:

I don't think I've ever had any car and definitely no battery-powered electronic device for 8 years before.   I did out the expenses with insurance/tax/maintenance on my annual 25,000km and it will cost literally about half the price/kilometer (about 1.15 baht) to drive than the Ranger (Just over 2 baht), and that's paying the outrageous 7 baht/KW hour at my condo charging points and the ridiculously cheap fuel prices we currently have.   If I still had a house with sub-4.5 baht electric rates it would be far less.

If Thailand reaches it's goal of all EV and no fossil fuel vehicles on the road by 2035, there will a whole lot of Thais using bicycles, ox-carts, or walking.
The wealthy drive; the masses......who cares about the "little people."  They have two legs - walk plebs. -Uncle Tu

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Greenside said:

This issue, along with range anxiety, is being overhyped by legacy interests.  Yes, it's a challenge, but the speed of battery development and obvious opportunities that recycling offers will be up to it, I believe.  Here are some discussions about it:

https://fullychargedshow.libsyn.com/batteries-are-they-ethical-recyclable-and-sustainable
https://fullycharged.show/episodes/can-electric-vehicle-batteries-be-recycled/
https://fullycharged.show/blog/why-ev-battery-recycling-is-set-to-take-off/
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/16/li-cycle-battery-recycler-stock-ipo-spac/

I'll report back in 8 years what happens to my 50kw battery pack and how I deal with range anxiety 555555

Love Fully Charged, been watching them for years.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The energy transition and decarbonization imply an accelerated spread of lithium-ion batteries used in vehicles and energy storage systems. For those wondering, recycling lithium batteries begins with the preliminary disassembly of the old lithium-ion battery. The plastic is separated from the metal components and sent for plastic recycling. Metals are recycled in the process of high-temperature smelting of the metal contained in lithium-ion batteries, after which they are enriched and sent for reuse. Also, I've recently found out about a company that provides Garbage Bin Rental Toronto services for all those looking to get rid of the trash around their houses or elsewhere.

Why do some of you even live here ?

To the OP, most malls have a battery disposal bin / cabinet.  Ask at information, or at one of the repair shops in Fortune Mall if you're going to be there.

Also, most district offices have a collection area / bin / cabinet.

As pointed out, don't use the trash/recycle bin, and F F S, don't just leave them out sitting some place.

Edited by KhunLA

• 1 year later...