The vast majority of Thais DO NOT want to quit Thailand and go abroad - but they want their views heard

webfact

apo.jpg

File photo credit: Accidental Travel Writer

A Super Poll conducted last week revealed that 81.9% of Thais are more than happy to stay in Thailand.

Only 18.1% wanted to go abroad.

The poll came after a page about going abroad was shut down after it gained widespread interest.

More than 90% of people wanted it reopened and 89% wanted a place to air their views. 

The majority wanted the government to listen to their grievances and act to improve their lot.

1,098 people were asked their views from the 17th to 22nd of May, reported Daily News

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-24

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

The poll came after a page about going abroad was shut down after it gained widespread interest.

More than 90% of people wanted it reopened and 89% wanted a place to air their views. 

Good luck with that one, maybe they can come here on TVF, surely won't be shut down for airing their views ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

15 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

What's the point of this poll? most Thais can barely afford to live week to week now, never mind going abroad

Which is why they might want to go abroad. ????

When I asked an ex if she wanted to come live in Australia she said NO, if Australia good why you all want to live here? 

Even poor thais  manage to live cheaply and most are still smiling. 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

What's the point of this poll? most Thais can barely afford to live week to week now, never mind going abroad

has been my exp living in LOS that the thai like to go off into a dreamworld.....I mean as soon as I arrive Im rich-hansum, have a mercedes, and huge house in LAX

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

most Thais can barely afford to live week to week now

Is this true? I read this a lot on here and am just wondering where the data for this statement comes from, as it'd be interesting for me to look through.

Anecdotally most people I see seem to be "doing ok." But might be selection bias in that sample.

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's a huge amount!

If you asked the same question in a western country it'd be more like 1%.

You'd be surprised that in a modern EU country like the Netherlands, 1% actually emigrates every year. So the number of people that want it but not act on it will be substantially bigger. Probably around 10%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cipher said:

Is this true? I read this a lot on here and am just wondering where the data for this statement comes from

The "government".

Bank of Thailand.

Various financial analysts.

Please some better reporting on this story exactly why was it shut down?

which rules did it break??

Who had it shut down? Government??

14 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Is this true? I read this a lot on here and am just wondering where the data for this statement comes from, as it'd be interesting for me to look through.

Anecdotally most people I see seem to be "doing ok." But might be selection bias in that sample.

10mln workers on below 100k/per year. That is some 30% of workforce.

That includes 3mln living on 30k/year.

that's why the top 500 richest make on average $100mln/year

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Please some better reporting on this story exactly why was it shut down?

which rules did it break??

Who had it shut down? Government??

the last year the government shut down the royalist marketplace fb group, so very likely case here.

They can use article 112 lese majeste and 116 dissemination of false info on the net, to get thai court order and shut down fb, twitter, other social media posts.

Article on the subject from 15.5 

https://www.khaosod.co.th/politics/news_6400186

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, internationalism said:

after the previous group, with over 1mln members, was shut down by fb (probably under pressure or provocation from the thai government), a new one spring up 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/521768548962828 

which has 270k membership.

There are now many other copy cat groups. Now down to people interested to immigrate to one particular country, continent or to EU.

those 18% wanted to immigrate means many millions people see thailand as a failed state.

Many others can't immigrate, because they don't have 30k for an air ticket and do realise, that they won't pass financial requirements for visa application (for example owning a house, high wages etc).

Would be interesting to compare, how many citizens would like to immigrate from the countries, to where thai want to go. But I suspect those figures will be much smaller.

So yes, there are many expats in thailand, some 500k from the first world countries, mostly pensioners. But those thai wanted to immigrate are young, at the most productive part of life and their fertility. They are vital to thai economy. Imagine in what state thai economy would be if some 7mln workers suddenly left the country. Those people are also consumers for the local economy, so some 18% of GDP lost.

And how thailand would survive without the next generation of their offspring. Thailand is already very aged society and population is shrinking. That's why there are some 5mln economic immigrants from the neighbouring countries, mostly young and trying to settle for good

Not true,the group is still there 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456929628904615/?ref=share

13 minutes ago, Quadrant23 said:

from the original post

"The poll came after a page about going abroad was shut down after it gained widespread interest."

so this group was reinstated within the last hours.

And why it's cover picture has now "I am back, b.itches".

Did you just register on the forums, just to rebut my post?

Edited by internationalism
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, internationalism said:

from the original post

"The poll came after a page about going abroad was shut down after it gained widespread interest."

so this group was reinstated within the last hours.

And why it's cover picture has now "I am back, b.itches".

Did you just register on the forums, just to rebut my post?

It has always been my dream to join this forum,thanks for making my dream come true 

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

the last year the government shut down the royalist marketplace fb group, so very likely case here.

They can use article 112 lese majeste and 116 dissemination of false info on the net, to get thai court order and shut down fb, twitter, other social media posts.

Article on the subject from 15.5 

https://www.khaosod.co.th/politics/news_6400186

Surely people will just move to Telegram? (I use the rooms on there a lot)   The Russians tried to shut that and it came to naught, so I expect efforts by the Thai constabulary will come to a similar conclusion.  The Myanmar Junta had  to actually turn the internet off as the only solution to that conundrum. Similarly Belarus I believe ? I know in HK they were using Telegram as well but they have all been more more ... active in expressing concern about their Government

I do know that a lot of Thais who have decent careers, that have lasted through COVID, are okay

and happy to stay in Thailand, a tropical country where the Winters are a bit cooler than March to May.

Thailand a country where their families live, and their ancestors are buried. A lot of Thais do not have

fluent English and do not want to go abroad because of that factor as well.  A lot of my Thai relatives

envy that I can afford to go to Thailand from Canada every couple or so years, while they take at least 5 years or so

before they can afford a short visit to Canada or similar countries.  Today I do know that a lot more Thai families

are happy to be in Thailand, and not in India, or in Brazil.  I think that the COVID pandemic, will make some

people appreciate their health and just being alive, and surviving, than being in one place or another in this world.

Geezer

• Like 1