U.S. sticks it to americans and all in Thailand

rodknock

So the 'hop on a plane' response. To go to the US for a COVID vax from Thailand is at least a 6 week endeavor between Moderna/Pfizer Covid shots (one-shot J&J not easily available) and quarantine upon return to Thailand. Plus all the PCR tests, COE and insurance requirements, and assumes one has a place to stay in the US for 3-4 weeks maybe with no car.

Besides although only a recommendation not binding reg:

International Travel During COVID-19

updated  June 10, 2021

Do not travel internationally until you are fully vaccinated. If you are not fully vaccinated and must travel, follow CDC’s international travel recommendations for unvaccinated people

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nkg said:

How many nations, with the exception of China, are sending vaccines out to their expats?

Certainly not the UK, we Brits here are in exactly the same boat as you Americans here in having it stuck to by our home country (in the OP title vernacular)!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57436535

Looks like we American and British expats here in Thailand will have little choice other than to form orderly queues for our jabs behind (1) everyone residing in our respective home countries (nationals and non-nationals), (2) each and every Thai national here in Thailand, and (3) millions of other non-national jab recipients in low & middle-income countries - which could ironically include Thailand! ????

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

Not to mention (as an American), we tend to be a troublesome/litigious bunch if things go wrong (rare vaccine related death or stroke for example).  There's more legal leeway when we're getting free gov't provided vaccines at CVS as opposed to embassy organised events.

23 minutes ago, treetops said:

So the "I can't afford it and want big brother to hold my hand" response.

Part of the deal when leaving your home country is that you'll lose many of the benefits provided by government there.  I'm sure you'll have thought of that before you jumped ship.

I said nothing about expecting the US to provide any vaccine for me here in Thailand. I just think some persons on here underestimate what would be involved to travel to the US JUST to receive a vaccine.

BTW other than Medicare for the past few years, I don't know that I've lost ANY benefits otherwise provided by the US government if I remained stateside.

Edited by jerrymahoney

don't be selfish......be thankful they are helping humans on our planet!!

Each dose has a blue bow with the flag of Taiwan and the words, "Taiwan is a great country, send us more semiconductor chips, and we will sort-of help you against those who carry a red book."

If American sent doses to Thailand...... the response, "Thanks bro, next time in Pattaya you get 20% off falang price."

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I just think some persons on here underestimate what would be involved to travel to the US JUST to receive a vaccine

Getting the vaccine would be the easiest part. 

It's the waiting, 3 - 4 weeks for dose #2, then another 14 days before you could do a sandbox, or just do a 14 day quarantine in Bangkok. It's six weeks minimum. And I don't want to impose on freinds or family as they are all vaccinated, and I would not be. And there is a shortage of hotels, AirBnBs and rentals cars. Would be better after Labor Day. 

It's all down to when a paid option might be available here, and if we can get equal footing in the queues, with Thais seeking a paid option. And if/when borders open for vaccinated without any quarantine, which might be 1 Nov best case.

10 hours ago, nkg said:

How many nations, with the exception of China, are sending vaccines out to their expats?

What became of finalizing deal so Belgium & France could provide vaccine to their expats? 

Why should US provide vaccines? Because I helped pay for them, for one thing. I still am blessed with paying Federal Income Taxes. Biden and Trump both promised "vaccines for all Americans". US wants to look like a virgin in bordello: "We provide with no strings attached". Have we seen riots and uproar over China requiring vaccine for their expats? Not at all. Most sensible people would consider that the proper thing to do, besides being part of State Department mission of seeing to the well being of citizens abroad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Most sensible people would consider that the proper thing to do . . . . <snip>

Most sensible folk think the idea is laughable, and those that think the government not doing it is outrageous are their villages best known inhabitant.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Thailand has its allies , China and Russia to supply them! They want the commies? They can have them supply the vaccines!

another political win for Biden!

I really dont think it will mean much to him, even if he was made aware if it.

The guy believes he entered government 120 years ago.????????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rodknock said:

the U.S. just tripled the amount of doses they are shipping Taiwan.

Most of my US friends think Thailand is Taiwan and message me all worried every time there is an earthquake or typhoon there...maybe it's the same with Joe Biden ????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

11 hours ago, nkg said:

the French will send leftover J&J vaccines that weren't sent to Africa to vaccinate their expats...

15 hours ago, rodknock said:

The U.S. just tripled the amount of doses they are shipping Taiwan.

Most of my US friends think Thailand is Taiwan and message me all worried every time there is an earthquake or typhoon there...maybe it's the same with Joe Biden?

Don't worry, we'll eventually have plenty of Pfizer vaccine made in China by whoever has the license from Pfizer there.    Certainly makes more sense than having it shipped from Germany or Belgium.   

????

Edited by Heng

2 hours ago, treetops said:

So the "I can't afford it and want big brother to hold my hand" response.

Part of the deal when leaving your home country is that you'll lose many of the benefits provided by government there.  I'm sure you'll have thought of that before you jumped ship.

And I don't recall any of them complaining about taking their stimulus checks, even though it wasn't stimulating the US economy, which was the intention, not to pump money into the Thai economy.

Maybe they should have set that money aside for a situation just like this.

All those checks would have paid handsomely for a trip to Guam or the mainland

Edited by GinBoy2