Thailand reports 6,087 new COVID-19 cases, 61 more deaths

webfact

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Among those, 2,002 COVID patients listed in critical condition, also a pandemic record high.

Among those, 579 requiring ventilators to breathe, also a pandemic record high.

This is an ugly statistic and one that unfortunately will only get worse before it even starts to get better.  Does anyone know how many ventilators and ICU beds Thailand has throughout the nation. If they have not already started to take over Hotels and create negative pressure rooms they need to get a start on this as that is what is needed to assist those in distress.

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

Yes, but I wear a mask in those situations.    Are you suggesting that masks are ineffective? 

I don’t need to suggest, it’s a proven fact that they do not provide 100% protection. They reduce the possibility of infection.

forgive me if I have misunderstood, weren’t you originally suggesting restaurants should open? How does your mask work then I wonder?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

Yes, but I wear a mask in those situations.    Are you suggesting that masks are ineffective? 

Face masks are partially effective in reducing transmission of the virus.

It’s great that you are taking some precautions.

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

He did not even mention masks......decided you were losing that one eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I think so too........and deaths are probably (no evidence) hospital deaths.........and exclude home deaths easily written off as other causes.    

Excess deaths (if all deaths are recorded correctly) is the key.

Excess death data takes a long time to be accurately measured and published.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They've been adding critical care bed facilities both to existing field hospital locations, and turning some permanent locations that had been being used as field hospitals for lower level patients into dedicated facilities for more seriously ill ones. As well as supposedly opening up government military hospital facilities for that purpose.

At some point, though, it also becomes a question of having enough doctors, nurses and other medical support staff to look after all these patients.  I'm guessing that ends up being a tougher constraint than the physical facilities do.

You also have to assume, having witnessed the horrors the Delta variant visited upon India, that oxygen is plentiful??????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

I don’t need to suggest, it’s a proven fact that they do not provide 100% protection. They reduce the possibility of infection.

forgive me if I have misunderstood, weren’t you originally suggesting restaurants should open? How does your mask work then I wonder?

Yes, but I think the government here have the focus wrong.   They seem to think that indoor dining without alcohol is safer than outdoor dining with alcohol and even the most hardened lockdown believers cannot possibly agree with that.    A restaurant is  sit-down activity so easy enough with 50% capacity to provide enough space between tables not to worry about spreading outdoors.   

In my covid prevention world immigration offices, banks and anything else that involves simple "paperwork" gets shifted online or done by mail.   Anything that can be done outdoors should be done outdoors.    I would accept that regardless of rules younger folks will continue to drink with their friends so I would ensure that they have safe, controlled places where they can do so.    I would control the numbers allowed in markets at any one time and close them down for 2 weeks if they transgress.    But this is just scratching the surface - factories, hospitals etc will have to continue to operate and that is where the main spread comes from.   

I'm not a complete madman.  I just want as many people to survive this as possible and accept not everyone can be saved.   I think too much focus on one thing will lead to too many deaths of another and I think overall Sweden had the balance about right.    I think when young people start to kill themselves due to poverty the balance is not right.    

• Haha 2

Government spokeswoman touts that Thailand's COVID vaccination program is progressing rapidly and that they've now given more than 10 million vaccine doses...

What she doesn't say or mention is that Thailand continues to give less than half of the number of daily doses it needs to give in order to meet its own self-declared goal of getting 70% of the country fully vaccinated by the end of the year.  The current fully vaccinated rate for Thailand is just 4%.

Screenshot_6.jpg.5f8662d90173b11d4516fa59f3988a08.jpg

(screenshot from televised government news briefing)

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

That aged just as well as.................... "there is no border down the Irish Sea"

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 07.29.38.jpg

Thailand’s third wave of Covid-19 has reached its peak and should gradually decline over the next week or two, according to Disease Control Department chief

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong. On Thursday he credited the public for cooperating to control the latest outbreak, which has spawned more than 1,000 cases per day over the past week.

However, pubs, bars, parties were still adding to the daily caseload despite the government order to close entertainment venues and ban parties, he warned. People who were organising events that resulted in infections and quarantining should be punished according to the law, he added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000123

ooops and he's the one that advises Prayut!!!

• Haha 2

All schools, kindergartens in Khon Kaen closed till July 16 amid COVID-19 spread

All schools, kindergartens and child development centres in Thailand’s northeastern province of Khon Kaen have been ordered to close until July 16th amid an ongoing surge of COVID-19 infections in the province and elsewhere.

Boarding education institutes, including those teaching children with special needs, have been sealed, with children remaining in the compounds and parental visits barred until July 16th, according to yesterday’s announcement, citing concerns over the current rapid spread of the coronavirus.

https://www.thailandnews.co/2021/07/all-schools-kindergartens-in-khon-kaen-closed-till-july-16-amid-covid-19-spread/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

Meanwhile, the PM wasting time greeting the handful of visitors to Phuket like some taxi driver.   Get back to work getting mucho vaccines now.

Arriving first day is cowardly, he needs to appear 3-6 weeks from now, or longer and then comment on the arrival numbers for the Islanders...... 

• Like 2

120b80d11f08104560108e9ca9ee4402.jpg.e6683fc22a92fb29291bd7d2422ba841.jpg

Severe Shortage of COVID Beds Continues in Bangkok

BANGKOK, July 2 (TNA) – The severe shortage of hospital beds for COVID-19 patients in Bangkok will continue in the next 7-14 days, according to Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha.

After meeting representatives of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and medical schools on Thursday, Mr Sathit said that the shortages of hospital beds for critically ill COVID-19 patients were very serious and all concerned parties were attempting to solve the problem.

BMA was trying to increase beds for yellow- and red-coded patients at Bang Khun Thian and Ratchaphiphat hospitals but the increments that would start on approximately July 10 might not be enough regarding the huge backlog of people’s requests for hospital beds through hotlines 1668 and 1669, he said.

Mr Sathit said that the hospital bed shortage would continue in the capital in the next 7-14 days and some people could die while waiting for hospital admission.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-730126

...the huge backlog of people’s requests for hospital beds through hotlines 1668 and 1669...

...some people could die while waiting for hospital admission...

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The severe shortage of hospital beds for COVID-19 patients in Bangkok will continue in the next 7-14 days, according to Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha.

..............and this prediction is based the square root of a prediction made by TAT divided by pi?