One Less Farang

Makoshark

15 minutes ago, DBath said:

If you really want to see the value, post a question about how to transfer money into and out of Thailand. You'll be amazed at the plethora of responses you get. Also, if you ever have any questions about visas, there are many who know their sh!t here. Or how to buy/sell a car or motorbike.

I am pretty much up to date and comfortable with those things that you mention.  What I mostly need, is up to date information and analysis that can be trusted as unbiased and factual,  on the various government statements and changing polices, especially during covid.   Travel information, internally and out of country,  by those who have been travelling recently is also useful on various forums.  What I definitely don't need is to be reading is the panic and hysteria that some seem to be having in regard to getting , or more likely not getting any time soon, covid vaccinated.  I can do all that worrying all by myself thanks and nobody seems to have the definitive story regarding availability of the said vaccines, probably because there is no definitive story.  

Edited by Doctor Tom

2 minutes ago, DBath said:

If you really want to see the value, post a question about how to transfer money into and out of Thailand. You'll be amazed at the plethora of responses you get. Also, if you ever have any questions about visas, there are many who know their sh!t here. Or how to buy/sell a car or motorbike.

I would say, I get the most value out of the real estate section, after I wade through the first 20 responses telling me I should never buy real estate in Thailand.  

And therein lies the problem.  The vast majority of posts simply generate a template of responses from people who are passing down barstool wisdom that they themselves have never had first hand experience with.  

The most active threads are basically the news where everyone can twist the topic around to their favorite gripe about Thailand.  

As a counter-example, the Phuket expat group on Facebook generates 10x the number of daily posts that you’ll see on TVF but most of them are asking about restaurants, where can I find X, etc.  

Here, almost any news about Phuket will result in 10 people telling you that Phuket is horrible and they can’t understand why anybody would go there.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:57 AM, Jingthing said:

Out of curiosity, where there if you please?

Of all the places in the Philippines I have been, I liked Cebu the best of all.  If you want to live In retirement, it's easy to get a house with a yard and security wall, it's a live and let live society away from the obvious expat dumps of Manila and Angeles, and heaven forbid, Olangapo.........they were fine in my twenties/thirties, but if I were to choose PI - it would definately be Cebu.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, digibum said:

I would say, I get the most value out of the real estate section, after I wade through the first 20 responses telling me I should never buy real estate in Thailand.  

And therein lies the problem.  The vast majority of posts simply generate a template of responses from people who are passing down barstool wisdom that they themselves have never had first hand experience with.  

The most active threads are basically the news where everyone can twist the topic around to their favorite gripe about Thailand.  

As a counter-example, the Phuket expat group on Facebook generates 10x the number of daily posts that you’ll see on TVF but most of them are asking about restaurants, where can I find X, etc.  

Here, almost any news about Phuket will result in 10 people telling you that Phuket is horrible and they can’t understand why anybody would go there.  

The Thai Government has announced a crack down on fake news and statements, that may be made on all news outlets and social media platforms, or passed on as reliable news, so some maybe need to take note.   

On 7/10/2021 at 6:15 AM, Neeranam said:

1993, I very nearly got shot

Dutarte has killed or jailed thousands of hoods, dealers and users - his stance on crime is famous. -  FYI. it comes from a childhood of being robbed and his sister raped by a drug addict............he has made the penalty for crime so severe, people stay away from it.

23 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Certainly the jury is out as to whether I stay on this forum or not. So far it has added some value, but the level of debate/discussion on some issues is not what I expected  and is, shall we say, somewhat disappointing, so far.  As a general information source, I'm not yet sure if it adds anything to other, perhaps more reliable sources for expats.  We shall see.  

There are a few threads which are absolute gems and I stay around for those, although I post very little now. All depends on what you are looking for.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I too had been vising Thailand for upwards of 20 years, but I have lived here semi permanently for the past 8 years.  I have a few friends here, all farang and all around my age, or maybe a few years younger, but with masses of life experience to share socially.  None of us are bar stool people, we meet up at coffee shops, restaurants, golf clubs and occasionally at each others houses. As for many ( many) of the westerners any of us meet, in and around Pattaya for example, they are best kept at a long distance, just as you would if you met them in your home country.  

I think Stickman put it well when he discussed his time in Thailand and he said that while there were tons of people that he could have a beer with and he considered close acquaintances, he had very few friends.  

Stick was from the old era.  The younger generation seems less cynical and untrusting.  

I don’t think I’ve ever even been invited to someone over 60’s home.  I get invited for drinks or pool parties all the time from younger people.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I am pretty much up to date and comfortable with those things that you mention.  What I mostly need, is up to date information and analysis that can be trusted as unbiased and factual,  on the various government statements and changing polices, especially during covid.   Travel information, internally and out of country,  by those who have been travelling recently is also useful on various forums.  What I definitely don't need is to be reading is the panic and hysteria that some seem to be having in regard to getting , or more likely not getting any time soon, covid vaccinated.  I can do all that worrying all by myself thanks and nobody seems to have the definitive story regarding availability of the said vaccines, probably because there is no definitive story.  

Your concerns are well-said and duly-noted, good luck!

Edited by DBath

On 7/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, lanng khao said:

What was that poster called canary something, lived in Pattaya on 6,000 baht a month, he was funny nothing fazed him, put some great posts out .

6000 a month  do you have his details need to show my wife  ha  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've learned to avoid all white foreigners in Thailand, younger white guys just have nothing to offer me. No stories to tell, usually gullible and extremely soft, always broke (but making a fortune online) and not that picky about women. Tending to believe their gfs really love them (even when obvious hookers).

I definitely agree that these guys are around. But they ain't that hard to spot, and I've met some decent younger white people here (I, myself, am not white). Part of it, I've noticed, depends on how/where you're meeting people. The quality mix also does seem to be improving too. Younger people are more positive on life in Thailand than you might expect if you just look at the opinions of the older guys here. Maybe give it another chance.

1 hour ago, DBath said:

This is great. It takes me back to recent years working in management consulting as an older 'sage' (if I may go so far as to call myself that!). In my late 50's I became good friends with many younger professionals/people like you and while it usually took some time, deep friendships were cultivated. I still correspond with many of my former young colleagues back in the states, even though I do, at times, struggle to understand their constant need to push forward without sometimes considering the consequences of their actions :).

This is great! I've befriended some older MDs over the years and it is nice to hear perspectives from different generations (as long as the perspective-giver has quality ideas lol).

You seem like a reasonable person though. It's too bad you're leaving, I wouldn't have minded buying you a beer when Thailand reopened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cipher said:

I definitely agree that these guys are around. But they ain't that hard to spot, and I've met some decent younger white people here (I, myself, am not white). Part of it, I've noticed, depends on how/where you're meeting people. The quality mix also does seem to be improving too. Younger people are more positive on life in Thailand than you might expect if you just look at the opinions of the older guys here. Maybe give it another chance.

This is great! I've befriended some older MDs over the years and it is nice to hear perspectives from different generations (as long as the perspective-giver has quality ideas lol).

You seem like a reasonable person though. It's too bad you're leaving, I wouldn't have minded buying you a beer when Thailand reopened.

I'll be in BKK from 17th until the 28th...take care!

7 hours ago, BE88 said:

Also consider Italy where the kitchen is much better and the climate is less hot, not the north but more towards the south after Rome and where you can buy houses and land like all of Europe without problems.

you might be able to buy easily in Italy but then try selling, it is not called Mafia Land for nothing lol

France is actually not too bad a place to live, some very cheap housing if you like being in the countryside and the infrastructure is very good indeed

Shame Macaroni seems intent on behaving like a fascist and enriching his rich pals ????

34 minutes ago, digibum said:

Most of the ex-pat posts on my FB group are ex-pats asking dumb questions without thinking about it or doing any websearches , such as :

Where can I hire a car/bike from ?

Where can I buy a chair from ?

Where should I live ?

Where can I swim play , tennis , run etc ?

Where can I get my passport renewed ?

What do you think that the weather will be like today ?

I had to leave because my FB homepage was full of inane questions that people could easily  find the answer too by googling , instead they choose to directly ask 20 000 people and clog up their FB feed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Things wont get back to normal until the virus has ceased to exist , which will be when the majority of the World has been vaccinated

strange that folk who have already been 'doubled jabbed' are getting the delta variant, what sayest thou on that 'Dr Fauci'???

19 minutes ago, driver52 said:

you might be able to buy easily in Italy but then try selling, it is not called Mafia Land for nothing lol

France is actually not too bad a place to live, some very cheap housing if you like being in the countryside and the infrastructure is very good indeed

Shame Macaroni seems intent on behaving like a fascist and enriching his rich pals ????

Please supply a link that all of Italy is Mafia Land.

12 minutes ago, driver52 said:

strange that folk who have already been 'doubled jabbed' are getting the delta variant, what sayest thou on that 'Dr Fauci'???

Even the vaccine is only 80 % effective , which means 20% are still likely to catch the virus if exposed to it 

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

The Thai Government has announced a crack down on fake news and statements, that may be made on all news outlets and social media platforms, or passed on as reliable news, so some maybe need to take note.   

how can we be sure what is real and what is fake anymore? let me know your tips please! I may be getting cynical but I think all governments and their rich friends just want to lie and control us all the time ????

E5v6uKTXIAEseqX.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Please supply a link that all of Italy is Mafia Land.

I knew an English lady who had trouble selling her house for many years AND had to grease some palms to finally sell it! She will never go back.....

Have you seen who is in control now? The man formerly from 'the vampire squid' and racked up sh!tloads of debt buying corporate bonds 'in the name of the plebs' whilst head of the ECB......most of Europe is now run by 'the mafia' sadly ????

4 minutes ago, driver52 said:

how can we be sure what is real and what is fake anymore? let me know your tips please! I may be getting cynical but I think all governments and their rich friends just want to lie and control us all the time ????

E5v6uKTXIAEseqX.jpeg

Ask the government, as they are the ones who made the statement, that was released two days ago. The video statement by the Gov., spokesperson  was shown on Pattaya 103, on U Tube.  

On 7/10/2021 at 7:47 PM, BritManToo said:

Alternative destinations are pretty thin on the ground at the moment.

Pre-COVID I'd have had no problems relocating to PI or Cambodia.

Pre-Brexit I'd have had no problems relocating to France/Spain for that matter.

You can still relocate to Europe...I would relocate to Kent coast or Serbia or FYN but not Croatia

6 minutes ago, driver52 said:

I knew an English lady who had trouble selling her house for many years AND had to grease some palms to finally sell it! She will never go back.....

Have you seen who is in control now? The man formerly from 'the vampire squid' and racked up sh!tloads of debt buying corporate bonds 'in the name of the plebs' whilst head of the ECB......most of Europe is now run by 'the mafia' sadly ????

Some buy houses not to resell. I will give my house to my son. I have lived in southern Italy for 10 years. In all those years I have never heard of Mafia involvement in our area.

The Mafia still has a presence in Sicily, Calabria and even my Provence of Basilicata.

Most people tend to bend the rules. Even me.

I still get a EU subsidy for my Olive Groves even after we left the EU.

40 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Ask the government

why would I ask the government when they lie all the time?

AND why do they collect taxes when they can print infinite money? Therefore tax is theft

So not only do they lie but they steal as well! ????

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

France is also a nice country to settle in, apart from the higher cost of living due to higher taxes than other European countries.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Most of the ex-pat posts on my FB group are ex-pats asking dumb questions without thinking about it or doing any websearches , such as :

Where can I hire a car/bike from ?

Where can I buy a chair from ?

Where should I live ?

Where can I swim play , tennis , run etc ?

Where can I get my passport renewed ?

What do you think that the weather will be like today ?

I had to leave because my FB homepage was full of inane questions that people could easily  find the answer too by googling , instead they choose to directly ask 20 000 people and clog up their FB feed 

LOL.  I’ll agree with that.  

However, those people tend to be long-term tourists (here for 6-12 months) masquerading as expats.  

I think it’s much worse now with all of the Covid extensions that have been handed out since many of these people feel that they live here now.  

They will be in for a rude awakening when the Thai government no longer wants them here.   

That said, even when they’re asking dumb questions, they tend to get helpful answers.  

Some of the larger expat groups have a more negative vibe, but many of the smaller, more focused communities, tend to have a very positive tone.  

4 minutes ago, BE88 said:

France is also a nice country to settle in, apart from the higher cost of living due to higher taxes than other European countries.

sure the tax is bad if you work but otherwise it is very very cheap compared to say the UK where council tax is going bonkers.....house tax in France is like nothing, electricity is cheap, wood is free lol. Weeds can be grown for free ????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, driver52 said:

why would I ask the government when they lie all the time?

AND why do they collect taxes when they can print infinite money? Therefore tax is theft

So not only do they lie but they steal as well! ????

There is no answer to that assertion, not what that I have anyway.