Troops swift to block routes out of Bangkok ahead new lockdown on Monday

webfact

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

So Brits who are obliged to make 2 trips in person to Bangkok from the provinces where they live in order to renew their passports will now likely be prosecuted (if they have not been first shot in the head at a military checkpoint, of course), will they? IMHO it's an absolutely bloody disgrace that, on top of all the other bureaucratic nonsense which they have inflicted on us Brits in LOS since 2014 as part of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience, those incompetent clowns in HMPO back in the UK are now requiring Brits in need of new passports to break the law here, are they??

Why would they want to travel overnight?  There is still no clarification about daytime travel between Bangkok and places like Pattaya.  If it's "necessary" for someone to renew their passport, I would think they will be able to travel.  The military are there to "monitor" people leaving Bangkok, during non-curfew hours.

Edit: @OJASI do realise that you were making a different point!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Come on mate, what do you expect, from this crowd of numpties?

When the police here want a fugitive, they announce before hand what they are going to do, give the fugitive time to leg it.

8,9.10. Ready. Steady. Go! I'm coming to get you.????555

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

So Brits who are obliged to make 2 trips in person to Bangkok from the provinces where they live in order to renew their passports will now likely be prosecuted (if they have not been first shot in the head at a military checkpoint, of course), will they? IMHO it's an absolutely bloody disgrace that, on top of all the other bureaucratic nonsense which they have inflicted on us Brits in LOS since 2014 as part of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience, those incompetent clowns in HMPO back in the UK are now requiring Brits in need of new passports to break the law here, are they??

Calm down grow up. Use an agent. Get the required paperwork to facilitate travel. Just calm down..Don't panic

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Calm down grow up. Use an agent. Get the required paperwork to facilitate travel. Just calm down..Don't panic

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Did not even leave my chair, paid an agent, sent him my passport/ money, new passport here in 4 weeks, easy.

Agents who are willing to expose themselves to the risk of prosecution or, heaven forbid, fatal consequences at the hands of the military - not to mention contracting COVID-19 in a city where the virus is currently raging out of control - are probably extremely thin on the ground at the present time.

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smithson said:

Will expressways no 9 and 7 be closed?

As i read in the Bangkok Post  2 or 3 days ago  those motorways will be closed between 9pm - 4 am until further notice

28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would they want to travel overnight?  There is still no clarification about daytime travel between Bangkok and places like Pattaya.  If it's "necessary" for someone to renew their passport, I would think they will be able to travel.  The military are there to "monitor" people leaving Bangkok, during non-curfew hours.

Edit: @OJASI do realise that you were making a different point!

So, if they are monitoring people leaving Bangkok during non-curfew hours, this will surely include Brits returning to the provinces from their trips to With-It Tower to submit their renewal applications or collect their new passports, will it not?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, faraday said:

If they must do this, it should be done by the Police.

Troops on the streets, makes me very uneasy.

Gotta keep the 'peasants' under control....

The troops have nothing else to do except polish their boots and march up and down until called out yet again to fight fellow citizens who voice objection to whatever government is in place at the time. Certainly, they are not there to fight any foreign forces.

So now if you are 'lucky' enough to get a vaccine appointment in a private hospital in Bangkok, and have a long trip to do so from the way out in the sticks,  if you tried to get there now, your chances are reduced.

Goes from bad to worse here every day.

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

So now if you are 'lucky' enough to get a vaccine appointment in a private hospital in Bangkok, and have a long trip to do so from the way out in the sticks,  if you tried to get there now, your chances are reduced.

Goes from bad to worse here every day.

Well based on people's experiences this morning, a shockingly small number of people will be "lucky" enough and likely the vast majority of them will be in Bangkok already anyway.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

I am in the process of trying to replace a lost UK passport.

I emailed VFS (HMPO) about the need to visit their Trendy office twice in Bangkok,  to deliver the application and then subsequently collect the new passport,

In my case this would have involved 2 x 14 days self isolation on returning to my home in Phetchabun. This is their response :- "For applying renewal passport you may come to apply application by yourselves, by your family/relative/friend or use representative to submit application on your behalf."

It's as if they've never heard of Covid19/quarantine etc or maybe it's the case that all their staff have been vaccinated, so why should they worry about lesser mortals from the outlying provinces?

I have decided to use an agent, to cut out the hassle. Hopefully it'll be 5,000bht well spent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well based on people's experiences this morning, a shockingly small number of people will be "lucky" enough and likely the vast majority of them will be in Bangkok already anyway.

Agree, hence my quotes.

I am thinking Christmas now for the more remote provinces as an alternative to a Bangkok trip..

If I have to go eventually to Bangkok I need to make it a 12 hour round trip in a taxi or talk my BiL into driving.