Thai Cabinet approves Emergency Decree to be extended until at least the end of September

webfact

tpn.jpg

By Adam Judd

Thailand-  The Thai Cabinet has approved, for the 13th time, an extension of the Emergency Decree from August 1st until at least the end of September as of this afternoon, July 13th, 2021.

The Emergency Decree gives the Thai government extraordinary powers as well as strict legal penalties for offenders and is being used, according to the Thai government, to help control the Covid-19 coronavirus across the country, including alignment of Covid-19 vaccine distribution and allocation

Critics of the Emergency Decree have claimed it had been used for political reasons, such as to suppress protests critical of the government and apply draconian penalties and legal actions to offenders of crimes that usually carry minimal fines, at most. Critics have also claimed that existing communicable disease act laws could be utilized to handle the majority of the Covid-19 related management in Thailand.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/13/thai-cabinet-approves-emergency-decree-to-be-extended-until-at-least-the-end-of-september/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 1

Can't see this ever going away, there will always be an 'emergency' in Thailand. It's a nice blanket to keep the regime warm, and smother any criticism. Binkies are hard to give up.

I mean they've had martial law in the four restive southern provinces since what, 2004?

• Like 2

It seems the Thai government is blaming their people for the pandemic instead of taking the blame for their total mismanagement in organizing the vaccine and forcing Sinovac on people that now appears useless????why would anybody be more concerned with Covid visa extension as opposed to getting the hell out of there before this becomes a true national disaster????

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The Emergency Decree gives the Thai government extraordinary powers as well as strict legal penalties for offenders and is being used, according to the Thai government, to help control the Covid-19 coronavirus across the country, including alignment of Covid-19 vaccine distribution and allocation

Yes it's failed miserably, there is no control at all, it's out of control.

13 times? From March 2020. <laughs> They are on a roll.  By my estimates these "emergency degrees" will be extended well into 2022 if not beyond. This doesn't end anytime soon for two reasons.  First it's a control freak's *** dream come true.  Using the fear of Covid to usher in and maintaining a form of almost Neo-feudalism (massive repressive social controls on the commoners while the 'elite' get caught time and again flaunting the rules they created for the little people).  Second, it's lucrative for wealthy stakeholders while decimating the lower and middle classes and transferring their combined wealth to the most wealthy.  Combined debt for average Thai households was massive before this, but the economic destruction of these people and their businesses by government dictate followed by the government urging that banks to extend further debt leads to a nation of debt-slaves.  More wealth transfer from the those who are subsisting to those with obscene amounts of wealth while destroying the quality of life for the commoners.  Then of course, make virtually all fun illegal - by emergency decree of course!
So yeah.  This so-called emergency isn't ending any time soon.  Well in my humble opinion.  Other's mileage may vary.  I don't speak for anyone but myself and I don't seek to convince anyone else.  People are welcome to their own views of what they consider 'reality.'  But ever-lasting emergency decrees suddenly supplant normal forms of governance. That's not good.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1