Pattaya mayor admits reopening plan is in trouble but presses on

webfact

40 minutes ago, smedly said:

I really have no respose to that that I can post here

I am all for reopening - it is very difficult to be so isolated for so long - I am a social person and online chats just don't do it for me, everybody needs interaction of some kind 

If the Mayor had sealed Pattaya off weeks ago we might at least have had a chance of some form of normality - yes hard to do in Pattaya unlike Phucket

but thinking Pattaya is going to open in Sept is beyond stupid

I think those that suffer most are those who live alone. Before it was probably easy to pick up entertainment for the night but now a bit harder. Hence they suffer the most and are most vocal about reopening. (besides that Idiot of a mayor that is ????)

8 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Still no vaccines available in Pattaya

There were actually vaccinations given at several places for Thai citizens in the last month or so (Sinovac). 

Expats make up less than 10% of population. 

Mayor does not need any expats vaccinated to open up if the Thais are vaccinated is how he sees it I believe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fulhamster said:

So when Pattaya is opened up to the double-vaccinated tourists, they will still let unvaccinated expats wander around with them ?

The U.S. has over 40% people in many states still unvaccinated and they have "opened up", yet hospitals are filling up again in several states I see

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Kunplome admitted to Manager that plans to reopen the resort under the "Pattaya Move On" banner have taken a hit after Chonburi was placed in a deep red zone and Covid-19 infections continued to rise. 

Yep... Plan B... Opening sometime in 2022

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I really have no respose to that that I can post here

I am all for reopening - it is very difficult to be so isolated for so long - I am a social person and online chats just don't do it for me, everybody needs interaction of some kind 

If the Mayor had sealed Pattaya off weeks ago we might at least have had a chance of some form of normality - yes hard to do in Pattaya unlike Phucket

but thinking Pattaya is going to open in Sept is beyond stupid

He's thinking Koh Larn more than Pattaya. 

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

My son (50+) got jabbed yesterday in BKK at a walk-in.  I'm 78 but live in Pattaya!  Only when we're all safe will it be wise to re-open Pattaya.

why is it not safe in Pattaya

you wear a mask when out, you sanitize when touching things, so why the running scared ?

or are you saying that the masks don't work ?

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, visacrack said:

I don't know what a knobber is. Do you? Is it important? Well never mind. 

Anyhow, you looked for, and found, a way to make it easy for yourself: You used a trick to brush off all my decisive arguments. Who says they are not correct even if we assume for a moment that my initial assumption were doubtful? 

If my term is acceptable depends on the demands to such a debate. That we're not having a medical expert discussion here in this forum can be taken for granted. A little simplification in the interest of easier comprehension for everyone cannot be wrong. I've read similar comparisons made by MDs.

Now while you ponder how to counter this move, you could go to the Mayo Clinic and read what they say in their article 'Coronavirus vs. flu: Similarities and differences'. Not that we should consider them infallible as the pope, but they're probably at least good enough as purveyors of a second opinion. 

I'll agree with what the other guy said you are, and if you're not sure it's derogatory, Google may help ????????????

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

My son (50+) got jabbed yesterday in BKK at a walk-in.  I'm 78 but live in Pattaya!  Only when we're all safe will it be wise to re-open Pattaya.

That's never then. We'll never all be safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Joinaman said:

why is it not safe in Pattaya

you wear a mask when out, you sanitize when touching things, so why the running scared ?

or are you saying that the masks don't work ?

'The number of new Covid-19 infections is on a steep upward curve, doubling or tripling weekly, a Department of Disease Control (DDC) official said on Saturday.'

'On Saturday a total of 14,575 new infections and 114 deaths were recorded,'

These figures are from yesterday.  I am sure many of them were doing all the things you suggested yet somehow contrived to contract the disease.  At 78 with no Pattaya vaccine in sight, yes I'm running scared.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, RayD said:

The World Health Organization, after looking at data from around the world, had concluded lockdowns are ineffective, so you could open up now for all the difference it would make. The Thai government is simply copying what was done in the west, without realizing that that was political, not medical. 

Source of that information or was it pulled while in a standing position?

If you want to say lockdowns do not prevent Covid spreading, yes, it is likely... but it must be made clear. They do slow it down substantially, give the medical services breathing room while, we hope, vaccination can reach levels that do protect people.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, RayD said:

The World Health Organization, after looking at data from around the world, had concluded lockdowns are ineffective, so you could open up now for all the difference it would make. The Thai government is simply copying what was done in the west, without realizing that that was political, not medical. 

Rubbish.

If you have an infected person and you isolate them, you have protected others from them.  If uninfected people isolate themselves, they are protected from possibly infected people.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, Skallywag said:

The U.S. has over 40% people in many states still unvaccinated and they have "opened up", yet hospitals are filling up again in several states I see

"97% Of People Entering Hospitals For COVID-19 Are Unvaccinated"

NPR July 16, 2021

Thats in the USA.

Mainly Anti vaxers in the South

Everywhere on the news I see the uptick in COVID-19 cases.  

Very disheartening to say the least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Rubbish.

If you have an infected person and you isolate them, you have protected others from them.  If uninfected people isolate themselves, they are protected from possibly infected people.

WHO has recommended tougher lockdowns for Thailand today.