lots of 7/11s closed and windows covered,wonder why

ivor bigun

the last week i have noticed that a lot of 7/11s are closed and they have newspapers covering the windows, the wife reckons its because someone in the store had covid ,what do you think ? or is it just no business for them.

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Over here on Pattaya's Darkside a new 7-11 opened up even though there are 2 other 7-11's less than a minute motorbike ride away. 

In the 14+ years I've been living here, dozens of mini Big-Cs, Tesco Express, 7-11s, CP markets, have opened up.  I feel bad for those mom & pop shops, but this is survival of the fittest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

the last week i have noticed that a lot of 7/11s are closed and they have newspapers covering the windows, the wife reckons its because someone in the store had covid ,what do you think ? or is it just no business for them.

We had a local "scare" up here when someone infected visited a 7/11. They closed it for a few days while they completely cleaned it, and then reopened. Could be either.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

The mom and pops shops are making a killing while the alcohol bans are in place

There's alcohol bans in place....??  Is this just in Pattaya......everything is being sold in the regulated hours up here...(which was in way before the Covid visit)

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nothing to do with ‘someone in the store had covid’... thats just distorted logic of adding 2+2 and coming up with 574 !!! 

The simple answer is the obvious answer: Economics - Not enough customers to warrant keeping the stores open. 

Whenever there was a popular 7-11 franchise another would be opened by CP right next to it (thats just CP’s model) - thus when the customers dropped the franchise store can’t afford to remain open and the CP owned store made a pure business decision due to lack of custom.

Simple answer: Not enough customers during covid-19, especially in tourist areas.

In other residential areas of Bangkok most of the 7-11’s have remained open as they rely far less on tourist footfall. 

Agree.  I am on north Pattaya Beach Road and within about a block of each other there are two 7-11s and a Family Mart.  Only one 7-11 stayed open and so far the Family Mart has remained open--at least so far.  I see a number of both closed on Second Road.   When you go to the Darkside, it's a different story--I haven't seen any closed and they all seem to be doing ok.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

In Bangkok the 7-11 are open but the shelf's are all empty as I assume the 7-11 production factories are closed or running at low capacity effecting production and distribution.

On my soi in central BKK, we had one of two 7/11's shut down lately, in exactly the same manner as the OP mentions.

It's about a 600 meter long soi, and the one at the top of the soi closest to the main road is still in business, but the other one midway down the soi that's been open for many years just recently closed.

The one that closed was a company store, not a franchise store. And the store staff confirmed to my wife, before they all disappeared, that it was an economic decision.

But all told, even after the one closure, there's still three 7/11s within walking distance of our home. Not it's not exactly like we're suffering for a lack of their stores.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Bangkok

While I'm sure that CP has vaccinated all of their employees working at 7-Eleven I suspect that it was never easy in the best of times to keep 7 employees.

Maybe if everyone might note that there are some that are strategically open. That would be telling.

I've only noticed One near me that has closed other than one that had closed some months ago for renovation and never reopened.

For myself given many of the clientele being Moto taxi drivers and what not it's extremely high volume shop and I told myself and my wife to simply steer clear of the place. Besides its CP so why not.

Edited by kynikoi

Pattaya

7/11, Family Mart. Multiple closures due to lacking business.

Closed since months (I was in Pattaya second week of March).

And I was in Ko Samui in July 2020(!).

Chaweng beach road. Maybe the worst Covid devastation I have seen. About everything closed incl. convenience stores.

Absolutely nothing to do with infections. Zero known infections at this time.

In Pattaya you have intersections with 7/11 and Family mart on opposite corners and the next shops are 200 m away. How can they live?

One of the latest fatalities is the 7/11 opposite the Soi Buakhao "night" market (a few steps up the street).

The 7/11 at the opposite corner is still open.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7/11,s and similar outlets are based on turnover which is based on customer turn around .

In locations such as Pattaya which by many accounts is a ghost town by comparison to pre covid days makes it obvious that with the absence of bulk customers the Franchisees are unable to service the conditions of their licence to the franchise issuers and still retain a livable level of income.

In some places where 7/11s are 75 meters apart and now at times so are customers it is easily obvious what the result must be.

Covid is to blame even if it has not involved any direct infection in a specific location.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rubbish - a business does not close down because an employee gets Covid-19.

The 7-11’s which have closed down have done so for business reasons nothing else. 

Nope. It’s already been confirmed bybmy Thai wife who sells food in the market that it’s because of covid infected employees. They closed it 3 days ago, opened for 1 day, then closed again today.

Like I already said, this is the 7 hub for our area. Packed to the tits at all times, nothing to do with lack of customers

• Like 2

Yeah, there's a strict formula that keeps each location in profitability.   There's one that just closed near my house, they just moved the employees over to a nearby location.... one of whom mentioned that that branch had to do 30000 Baht gross per day before the shutdown point.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeatFingies said:

Nope. It’s already been confirmed bybmy Thai wife who sells food in the market that it’s because of covid infected employees. They closed it 3 days ago, opened for 1 day, then closed again today.

Like I already said, this is the 7 hub for our area. Packed to the tits at all times, nothing to do with lack of customers

If the only reason for closure is the staff contracting covid, then it should be able to open again in 2 to 3 weeks time.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Heng said:

Yeah, there's a strict formula that keeps each location in profitability.   There's one that just closed near my house, they just moved the employees over to a nearby location.... one of whom mentioned that that branch had to do 30000 Baht gross per day before the shutdown point.   

Think you're missing a zero.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Think you're missing a zero.

I thought it was low too, but that's what she said was the cutoff for her branch.   I know there are branches that do 10 times that per day, but this was the redline for *shutting down this branch* amount.   They don't need to do $10k USD a day to keep the electricity on and employees paid.

• Like 1