Where would you choose to be for the next 12 months? If you could be Whisked Off on a Magic Carpet, all expenses paid, Where would you Be?

23 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not my work. It is a friend I follow on FB. He takes the pictures from his backyard. 

I have experienced -50C before, just impossible to work outdoor. With the right shelter you could sit in your pajamas and explore the night sky. ????

Screenshot_20210807-195005_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210807-194852_Facebook.jpg

This is the most amazing thing I have seen in these pages.

18 hours of exposure.

It's not so easy to do this.

You must have found a place where you had both dark sky and clear sky, maybe.

Maybe you captured these images from some other desert?

Just a guess.

Also, if I were not to go to Ellesmere Island, then, the best place to see stars is far out to sea.

Once you get to the middle of the Pacific, the stars are amazing.

Traveling from Saudi Arabia to the Strait of Malacca, during the voyage, mostly all you do see is stars, right down to the horizon.

So, probably, now that I think of it, being at sea is really where I would choose to be.

Amazing images.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have friends who went there just for fun. They said it was one of the scariest places they had ever been.

And American desperados pay 26,000 baht for an hour of that. What can one even say? 

I spent 2 weeks as a Mustangs regular in the 80's. It was Hot Babe City. Why have they allowed it to devolve? Bloody shame.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

All expenses paid? Regardless of cost? Sardinia? South coast of Turkey. Monaco. St. Lucia. I could go on and on.

saint-lucia-resorts-open-1.jpg

the-pitons-in-beautiful-saint4ef9a2-800x800.jpg

5-Day-Itinerary-in-Sardinia-Italy-Hero.png

sardinia.jpg

shutterstock_1071845537.0.jpg

where-is-monaco-located.-pic-1.jpg

In 2005 I had to retire for medical reasons. I travelled extensively in North America for work, but had never been out of it. I asked two friends that had completely different jobs, but one thing in common, they took every opportunity to travel. One told me St Lucia, the other said Thailand. I chose Thailand but often wish I had at least gone to see St. Lucia. Great photos.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Bora Bora.  Paradise complete!   At least it was when I was there in 2004.

Really? - Did you enjoy the Club Med? I did not! Paradise lost.......

What about Rarotonga, Aitutaki, Mitiaro, Mangaia, Huahine, Atiu, Mauke,  Raiatea, Tuamotus, Rapanui?

29 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Right where I am.  I've carved out my own little bit of paradise here, and I'm quite happy to stay in it.  In fact, I was just laying back by the pool today, the grandson and friends were splashing about, the smell of good food cooking wafted over from the kitchen, music was playing in the background, and a light breeze was taking the edge off the sun and gently moving the palm trees about, and I think(ed) to myself, what a wonderful world.

I had the same dream last night.

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

All expenses paid? Regardless of cost? Sardinia? South coast of Turkey. Monaco. St. Lucia. I could go on and on.

saint-lucia-resorts-open-1.jpg

the-pitons-in-beautiful-saint4ef9a2-800x800.jpg

5-Day-Itinerary-in-Sardinia-Italy-Hero.png

sardinia.jpg

shutterstock_1071845537.0.jpg

where-is-monaco-located.-pic-1.jpg

St. Lucia looks very nice. Amazing they have 2 airports, can't be that big a demand for domestic flights on a 20 mile island.

lc-01.png

19 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why not bring a slightly bigger telescope, some photographic equipment, a PC and you can take pictures like the below fairly easy.

FB_IMG_1628332404188.jpg

FB_IMG_1628332370899.jpg

That's very impressive!  But just to comment, the impressive part is more down to your friend's skills at computer imaging and editing, because that picture is using simulated/false colours to make it look impressive, (and there is nothing wrong with that at all!).

I do similar things with data from geo-stationary weather satellites.  The data that I receive from the satellite typically looks like this:

IMG_FD_036_IR105_20201221_060006.thumb.png.a4c004203ce4878798bfdb59ecd57b71.png

but after computer editing, it looks like this:

IMG_FD_002_IR105_20201220_002006-FC.thumb.jpg.725630c58c6fa8ad99fcba6bd880b77f.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, darksidedog said:

Little island size of a cricket pitch, Just outside Port Vila, Vanuatu.

Hideaway Island.

Closest to heaven I have ever been and I have been there many times.

Awesome place, lovely people. (Mostly!)

Seriously could do a Tom Hanks survival here in luxury.

According to increasing climate change and melting ice and rising seas you might be drowned soon.

Hurry up ????

• Haha 2

I'm perfectly all right on the paradise island where my previous magic carpet ride took me to, so for now I just let my magic carpets rest on the floor; the dogs love to sleep on the carpets, perhaps they are taken to a wonderful somewhere in their dreams...????