Officials take swift action against foreigners in Koh Phangan not wearing masks

webfact

I go long distance exercise walking 3 days a week in Bangkok and see more than my fair share of Thais not wearing masks. I'm vaccinated (AstraZeneca) always wear my mask and I simply don't care what these people do. There's only one other farang that lives in my condo and every time I see him he's masked up too. It's rare that I would ever see another farang in the area of Bangkok I live in to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It emerged that they are people working on the island teaching yoga.

They were fortunate to obtain Work Permits in these depressed times. I'm sure that the locals queuing to enroll for yoga lessons will be relieved that their teachers have been cautioned to wear masks. Any call for Pilates?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sadly, those arrogant idiots make all foreigners look bad. ????

Yes but Thailand does that to distract attention from their own pandemic problems, and what fun. Truth is they only care, so they can point a finger. Between this and the Phuket sandbox killing, one wonders if tourism will recover in 2022, or just turn belly up. 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

THANK YOU! I ride a pushbike around Pattaya/Jomtien most mornings, wearing my mask like a dutiful farang. It doesn't block the flow of oxygen even when I'm huffing and puffing up that hill to Lake Mabprachan. I seethe when I see someone not wearing a mask. There's even one joker at the lake who wears no shirt as well. And they're ALWAYS foreigners. Fer cryin' out loud, what makes them think they're special?

What makes you think the scamdemic is really!????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They look like the 1st class tourists we have here at Phuket. 2 cool for masks, shirts and helmets. Saw a flower power looking older lady walking around in chalong lotus today with no mask like she owned the place. At least Phuket police have golden days chasing mask less tourists up and down wiset road. 

Were they vaccinated twice? They don't look ashamed. Probably thinking they are in a third world country where there is no law, including for work permits. 

Looking forward to finding out what happened next. 

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

THANK YOU! I ride a pushbike around Pattaya/Jomtien most mornings, wearing my mask like a dutiful farang. It doesn't block the flow of oxygen even when I'm huffing and puffing up that hill to Lake Mabprachan. I seethe when I see someone not wearing a mask. There's even one joker at the lake who wears no shirt as well. And they're ALWAYS foreigners. Fer cryin' out loud, what makes them think they're special?

I use my bike a lot in/around Pattaya including a run up to the lake. I have my mask with me but do not wear it when cycling outside of town. Main reasons are (1) it does restrict air flow and is uncomfortable. (2) it gets soaked with sweat and moisture very quickly which further restricts O2 intake (3) I am frequently sipping from my water bottles and snacking on bananas/nuts etc. 

Any other time I wear my mask - walking around town etc. 

I think riding a bike is different to jogging in town. Exertion from jogging in town can result in particles being emitted in close proximity to people. Cycling on a country road less so. By not wearing a mask in these circumstances I do not think I am (a) being arrogant/selfish or (b) putting anyone at risk.

If I am ambling about on my bike around town then I wear a mask  because the level of exertion does not impede breathing or nutrition/hydration. 

If I was stopped by the police out of town I would reluctantly pay any fine but would not agree that my actions were potentially harming others. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jaltsc said:

It's fairly difficult to accuse someone of working when all they do is teach foreigners to sit around, and think of nothing. However, if they did that with Thai students, they would be taking away the jobs of Thai teachers. 

Are they charging money for teaching? If so they are ipso facto working, in violation of the regs, and arguably taking jobs away from Thais, who do teach yoga at several schools for it.  One in Chiang Mai I know of has instruction in Thai, English, and German.

BTW, you appear to be confusing yoga with meditation, though there are some areas of overlap. Yoga can be physically demanding. So can TM, if you've ever attempted a full lotus!

Edited by Kwaibill
  • Like 1