Pattaya beach remodel project paused after several prominent local residents protest

webfact

I was really disappointed when they trimmed all the trees and tore some of them down a few years ago, resulting in a LOT less shade.  Almost none in some spots.  That didn't make much sense to me then.  I'll reserve judgement until I see what they are doing now.  If they plan to plant more or ?  

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

I was really disappointed when they trimmed all the trees and tore some of them down a few years ago, resulting in a LOT less shade.  Almost none in some spots.  That didn't make much sense to me then.  I'll reserve judgement until I see what they are doing now.  If they plan to plant more or ?  

You don't have to reserve judgement: even Stevie Wonder could see what the objective here is

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

This so called constant remodel required after every shower of rain seems to be labelled incorrectly - I think a more appropriate description would be constant expensive maintainence and the budget that goes with it, I would love see the total budget spent on this going back 20 years and to whom it was paid.

I remember once reading about the techical aspects of beach errosion and it is extemely complicated, the main point being that it was human interference that mostly caused beaches to disappear, things like buildings and man made structures, parts of a natural bay being removed etc etc. 

That beach front was there for probably hundreds of years without needing intervention - so what changed to cause the natural eco of pattaya beach to become such a problem - prbably not that hard to figure out - we could start with the roads along the coast line and other sea front structures going right the way round to Bali H altering the natural flow of the tide and currents and even the wind.

IMO - One thing is for sure, there is no way to fix it unless the coastline is restored back to how nature intended and evolved it over many decades - impossible

At some point Pattaya "beach" resort is going to need a name change 

From my ancient memory, I think sand migrates up and down the coast about 100km. That's why changing something at Pattay beach can effect Lam Chabang and vica versa.

I bet when they keep topping up the sand on Pattaya beach it is sourced from as near as possible.

I do think everytime they upgrade the beach area they employ better tradesmen. Seems the finish is better.

It's all good. Just need money, sand and palm trees. A tropical paradise. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

Don't worry. According to this picture showing the new design there will be still some trees left ????

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/downsized-pattaya-beach-facelift-begins-will-take-2-years-368002

1629170941246.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Sad 5

24 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Jomtien beach looks so much nicer than Pattaya?

Why is that?

They've got palm trees,parking, nice little road alone the beach.

Maybe get there contractors.

I think it is going to be the other way round..... the ones that messed up Pattaya will start on Jomtien.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, smedly said:

This so called constant remodel required after every shower of rain seems to be labelled incorrectly - I think a more appropriate description would be constant expensive maintainence and the budget that goes with it, I would love see the total budget spent on this going back 20 years and to whom it was paid.

I remember once reading about the techical aspects of beach errosion and it is extemely complicated, the main point being that it was human interference that mostly caused beaches to disappear, things like buildings and man made structures, parts of a natural bay being removed etc etc. 

That beach front was there for probably hundreds of years without needing intervention - so what changed to cause the natural eco of pattaya beach to become such a problem - prbably not that hard to figure out - we could start with the roads along the coast line and other sea front structures going right the way round to Bali H altering the natural flow of the tide and currents and even the wind.

IMO - One thing is for sure, there is no way to fix it unless the coastline is restored back to how nature intended and evolved it over many decades - impossible

At some point Pattaya "beach" resort is going to need a name change 

The main issue as I understand it was that the sand on all sandy beaches migrates as you say, but it also needs a "reservoir" of sand off shore.  They allowed that to be dredged for building sand, so the beach sand went to replace it.  They had experts who told them this would happen, but money overrode that advice.

Coconut palm trees are the worst to plant. A combination of trees and those ferns make the best shade.

Palm trees are dangerous when the coconuts start falling on a windy day. I nearly got hit by a coconut in Hawaii

and there were signs all over to watch out for falling coconuts.. Plus only shade from a palm tree is the trunk,

as the leaves are so high up.  Look at the artists picture.

Geezer

• Like 2

10 hours ago, newnative said:

The guy in the brown shirt by the light pole is about to collapse from heat stroke. 

I think he's just about to collapse because the Thai girl in the blue jeans and white top has just told him it's over, and reminded him that the house, land, and shop, are all in her name.  No wonder she looks quite relaxed.  ????  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Plus only shade from a palm tree is the trunk,

as the leaves are so high up.  Look at the artists picture.

Geezer

That is the case with a mature tree, but they do actually start off smaller. I would say 7-8 years from a few feet to 12 ft, and the coconuts falling from that height would do little damage to most people, and none whatsoever to Americans. Once they get tall they can be replaces and are common enough for this not to be so bad ecologically. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:41 AM, morrobay said:

Have a look at the pre 2013 promenade photos on the pattaya addicts forum, barstool banter,topic pattaya beach "improvement" works last page post by plahget , 5 photos. I'm taking this wholesale destruction along the beach by "these people" personally. 

Well the vast majority of the promenades destruction happened already in 2013......From 2013 to 2021 the promenade has just been a shadow of its former self.......And now the time has come for its complete destruction....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1