2% out of work in Thailand? That's not true says foreign media

webfact

How is unemployment defined in Thailand? Does anyone know? I see many people digging the canals wider and deeper so that they can take more water than their neighbours. A few  people weeding in the rice fields, a few working in shops they run and own. Fast food places. Mostly though, drinking and talking. Are these the employable ones who are counted as unemployed? Kids, in my eyes anyways, 20 ish year olds doing nothing all day apart from lounging around. 40 to 60 year old men, drinking, running round on motorbikes getting white whiskey, beer and ice. Are they classified as employed? 

The numbers of employed seem to me to be picked from the air. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

They can just put a sock in it! Why are they even trying to go out with information they do not have a clue about? As for a fact, it is not possible to calculate or even estimate how many Thais are unemployed or out of work. 

Their whole system is build on that small companies do not register employees, as they do not want to pay taxes for them or anything else that would give them benefits later in life. Totally illegal if you read the labour law, but more wide spread than Covid-19.

After that they are also well aware of that both unregistered companies, and invisible self-employed people exists in hordes. For example the noodle seller on the corner of every block.

With all that uncountable knowledge, they just grab a number and put it in the world news. There is no word invented for such people and their stupidity.

If they don't register them as employees how do they justify to the tax department their payments?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Stocky said:

The Thai unemployment figures only reflect those working in the formal sector and paying tax. About 30 to 40% of Thais work in the informal sector, a large proportion of which are now without work; they have no rights or protection if the boss says sorry we've no work for you. Those that still have a village to go back to, and/or some land for them to subsist on, have gone home. Those that have nothing are in trouble.

How do you define 'informal sector'? Are hawkers considered informal?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

4 or 5 different houses in my moo baan have now taken to cooking at home, selling food on Grab.  See the delivery motorcycles parked up out front waiting in the evenings as I walk around.   Folks are doing their best to stay afloat.

Must be good food.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

You mean the numbers provided by the Thai government are not strictly speaking....true?

That's an outrageous slur on this truth spoiled country.

Surely all the figures they provide are 100% accurate? I can't imagine they would not tell anything but the full truth.

Are you saying there is no fake news emanating from the current government? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stament said:

If they don't register them as employees how do they justify to the tax department their payments?

What? They are just paying them with black money or already taxed capital. If you also take into consideration that they have double books for financials and that half of the incomes are never registered. Then you might understand. Or not.

• Like 2